Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena
Ranked #31 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed last night whilst in town for Jay Z gig, great location, clean well equipped and comfortable rooms and fab location for all city centre amenities especially the MEN Arena.
Cant complain abouf the breakfast, piping hot and tasty, not a huge choice but that was no biggie.....would defo recommend and stay here again!!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed in this hotel in the first week of July, on arrival we were shown to the lift where we had to guess what floor we Were staying on and then find our room. The rooms were average size and beds were decent. On the Tuesday I caught a vomiting bug. I rang down to reception the next morning to tell them and asked could they send the house cleaner up to clean the bathroom and change our sheets, the usual. I heard the clearner go into the room beside ours on either side and across from us but never came into us, then I thought maybe she had to get more cleaning supplies but after 5 hours of waiting I began to doubt my thought. I then rang down to reception again and explained that I had called before and nobody came up. The receptionist was apologetic and told me somebody would be up straight away! 2 hours later the cleaner arrived!! On the Thursday night, the night before our check out my boyfriend caught the vomiting bug also and i went down to reception to ask could somebody clean our room and they told me no! As my boyfriend was sick through the night and myself not feeling the best we had to check out to get back home. The "manager" who was on the desk was ignorant and rude. When I asked could he or some other staff member help me with the bags down from our room to reception he told me no that all staff Were too busy, baring in mind two staff members Were sitting in the back having a laugh and a joke. To add up in all the staff were not helpful and rude, punctuality obviously wasn't one of their strong points and it was the holiday from hell!!! I have stayed in Manchester before and I had an amazing time in the Britannia hotel but this Holiday Inn can only be described as a dive!

• Stayed: July 2013
michelle_lonsdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

I was very saddened to hear the feedback regarding your stay back in July. We have a small management team here at the hotel and I have spoken to each of them and no one is aware of the situation you have described. We have very high standards of customer care and will always help and assist any guests in need. I would like to be able to investigate this even further but will need more detail . I would be grateful if you could contact me directly on 0161 836 9605 or email me on michelle.lonsdale@hixmanchester.com. Thank You

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is a very nice hotel- lovely comfortable rooms- fantastic bathrooms with huge showers (no bath)- lots of storage space too. Nice big tv with freeview. Great location- 5 minute walk to the Arndale centre and Piccadilly Gardens- restaurants and bars.

The hotel does not have it's own car park so we had to get a voucher from them (£4.50) for a carpark around the corner.

The rooms do not have ironing boards- if you want one you have to go down to reception and lug it back up to your room yourself- poor service. Breakfast is also poor- sloppy runny scrambled eggs, no bacon. The mini pastries are nice though. I stayed at this hotel around a year ago and the breakfast is still the same- Holiday Inn Express- you don't want to be known for your sloppy scrambled eggs!!!

Great, modern hotel but the service needs improvement.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Ideal location for the arena and shopping (Arndale Centre and Deansgate) set back from main road - great room - very clean - cheap parking approx £4.50 overnight - car park couple of mins walk - Staff friendly breakfast ok and included in price; service excellent

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank john-n-mand
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We booked this hotel mainly on the previous reviews and can only agree with all the positive responses from other guests. We stayed in room 401 which overlooked the plaza. The room had a huge picture window where it was lovely to sit on the sofa watching the world go by. The hotel is very central to the city and the quirky little cafes and restaurants in the Northern Quarter. The room was spotless and the bed very comfortable also the staff could not do enough to help out with any queries regarding best places to park, eat and visit. The breakfast was more than acceptable it did not have a huge choice of hot food however, what was available was well cooked, hot and tasty. The continental breakfast was as good as any 4 star hotel that I have stayed in. We would definitely stay here again if visiting Manchester.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the Plaza
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was on a business trip with work & wasnt feeling that great when I arrived so just wanted to relax in my room before a training day the next day.
There was a short wait at reception desk (reception area is quite small) and only 2 people serving but I was checked in very quickly & advised of the free breakfast in the morning & also complimentary wifi throughout the hotel!
My room was very comfortable & the Shower was HUGE & looked very high quality (no bath)
The room was quiet- I managed to get a great sleep & the bed was super comfy!
Only down side was my room was freezing even after turning the air conditioning off- but this could also be down to me not feeling 100%
Breakfast was quite busy in the morning but was well equipped.
Would recommend to others & def stay again if I was away with business.

Room Tip: Beat the rush at breakfast by going early or if you have a late start at the end of breakfast servic...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Quite difficult to find, down a side street, with no drop off point, parking is a 5 minute walk.
Hotel looks nice, clean, tidy, rooms are nice enough, clean, no wardrobes but external shelving and hanging space, so enough for a night or two!

Location is decent, 5 minute walk from most shopping areas in the centre.

Breakfast is where it does wrong, an "alleyway" of a buffet table, very cramped, then toast a conveyor outside this room means your breakfast is cold by the time you have your toast. Biggest moan- THEY DON'T DO BACON!! Why on earth not!!?

• Stayed: June 2013