“My favourite on the curry mile”
Review of Islamabad Grill

Islamabad Grill
Ranked #1,616 of 2,370 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Pakistani
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I've visited the Islamabad Grill on numerous occasions over the last three or four years and it has always been excellent. Before this most recent visit I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and thought I'd write my own to add some balance and reality to the reviews on here. Where all the negative views come from is beyond me. First and foremost this is a budget option where you can get real value for money. What do people expect? In some restaurants near here you will pay double the price.

I'm fed up with generic Indian buffet restaurants that all serve the same dishes and keep going back to the Islamabad Grill because it offers something different.The restaurant serves authentic Pakistani cuisine and anyone who has visited Pakistan and North India and eaten in restaurants should know what to expect. The food is not tarted up to suit the English palette and if you expect anything more than Pakistani home cooking you are going to be disappointed.

The salads and starters are always delicious especially the chicken tikka, which has a lovely barbecued flavour. It's also very easy to eat too many of the chicken wings. I generally have more than one helping of the starters every time I come here. Most of the meat curries are cooked on the bone so it shouldn't come as a surprise to find a bone on your plate. Cooking on the bone adds a lot of flavour to a dish and personally I love this style of curry. In the many times I've been I've never had a salty curry. There is also a good choice of vegetarian dishes. On this visit there was a choice of five different sweet dishes and ice cream for those who want it. The use of condensed milk is so common in this cuisine to say the rice pudding tastes of it is merely stating the obvious. I love the rice pudding, for the record also flavoured with cardamon and pistachio, and always have it. There is also Suji Halwa, another favourite of mine.

The staff here are all lovely. We were greeted, as usual, like old friends and nothing is too much trouble for them. On a couple of occasions I've seen the restaurant struggle when large groups arrive so I think that is the only valid criticism on this page.

I once introduced my brother and his family to the Islamabad Grill. My brother is a fussy restaurant visiter and a qualified chef. He left mightily impressed at the quality, choice and value for money on offer. If you want a good budget authentic Indian buffet then look no further. I will be back. The week after next, actually.

3  Thank eddiemetal

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We called in to Rusholme for our first experience on the "curry mile" as it's known. We fancied a buffet and so called here for all you can eat for £8.99. The restaurant was a little dimly lit which probably didn't help when trying to see what I was scooping out of some of the containers of the different curries available. When I got my selection back to my table most of the larger pieces of what I thought was meat was different sizes and shapes of bone. Some of the bones were fine and sharp and not easy to detect. The meat itself was full of salt. The sauces were thin and an overall lack of spice and taste (apart from salt). The starters were okay though and having given up on the mains I returned for another small serving of them although by now my taste buds and appetite had been tainted and ruined by the salt and bone meal. Like a good old fashioned Brit we didn't complain and decided to put it down to experience. Next time we will choose somewhere where we will have something off the menu but will never come back here.

2  Thank binny61
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I went with my partner and children, we all enjoyed the large selection of starter's but thought the curry dishes were slightly salty Overall a good experiance

1  Thank fazra
Reviewed March 6, 2013

,, we went with a group of friends - 11 of us, to have a get together and have lunch. It was quiet and looked ok on the inside, however, had a funny burning smell just as we entered the doorway ,,,it gave me a headache straight away.
we went over to the buffet area to see what was available, , but more than half of the metal containers were empty. however, as long as the food was fresh and tasty we were fine with having less variety. the salad leaves looked a few days old, however, the starters seemed fresh and naans were nice. The desserts were horrible,- there was only cheap ice-cream and something that was supposed to be rice pudding- it was just condensed milk added to some rice, so was way too sweet.
if you are looking for a restaurant where you want to spend time eating your food and relax,, then this isn't the place,, but if you are just wanting a quick indian pakistani lunch and no dessert, then I think it's ok!

1  Thank shaeda_sikander
Reviewed March 5, 2013

we are regular visitors to manchester curry mile for many years . we like ISLAMABADGRILL - why
1- food quality very good if you know what and have authentic indopakistani PALATE..be choosy .
2- quick buffet -very good value for money -NO ALCOHOL -NO DRUNKS late weekend nights .
3- cleaniless -- basic safe toilets -as most pubs are..
4- decor -- clean but old - NOT TO TAKE YOUR GIRLFRIEND ON FIRST DATE ..
5- good clean authentic food fast buffet VALUE --no charge for a jug of tap water !!!!! many asian chinese eateries charge upto £4 for a jug of tap water or £1.50 for a tumbler ..
6- regular staff are friendly --but temporary "students labour" can be nonconnected -ASK what you want ..
btw- no upset tommies yet -fingers crossed last 10yrs.. we are humble globetrotters ..very aware of food safety and hygine ..cannot afford to have tummy upsets..late

2  Thank HUMBLEBRIT