“Decent UK BBQ”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were recommended Southern 11 by a friend, and were eager to go on a recent trip to Manchester. Tucked away in the financial district, you could easily miss it (we had to call to ask directions, although that's more the fault of the buildings design). Hidden beside garish gym signs, there are two small signs for Southern 11. It's up stairs so not visible from the street with ease, it's also absent from the 'Restaurant Guide' in the adjoining plaza. Regardless, I'm glad we found it.

Two orders of the Tasting Platter, one vegetarian Tasting Platter and the Chicken dinner, and they were all great.

The BBQ tasting platter consists of brisket, pulled pork and ribs. You don't get a large about of brisket but it's delicious, the pulled pork is well balanced between sweet and juicy. The highlight was the ribs, they were fantastic. They could have a been a little more grilled and charred, but that didn't detract from the incredible flavour. You get a little pot of glaze for your fries, or to add to the meat. The plate is small and it doesn't look much, but with a side of cornbread it is more than enough to induce the meat sweats!

The chicken dinner was delicious. White gravy and potatoes were amazing, the chicken was deliciously juicy although the seasoned batter could have, again, been a bit more charred. Perhaps the grill isn't quite hot enough?

The veggie platter was almost a mix of sides, with beans, corn and mac n cheese (all sides on the main menu) but was still filling and enjoyable.

Drinks wise, they offer 2/3rd pints of Sam Adams on tap, delicious. They also do Shake Your Own Cocktails for a reasonable price (around £7)

It's a great BBQ restaurant for this side of the ocean, and the best I've eaten outside London.

1  Thank simonpdowling
There are newer reviews for Southern 11

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend came here as a payday treat!
Love american style food and this didn't disappoint!
Great atmosphere, i'd book to avoid disappointment though as it gets busy, good reason why!
I was driving so divulged in a yummy mocktail!
I had steak and it was cooked perfectly, the chips were amazing!
My boyfriend had the sliders which were great!
Desserts were fab too! Great service also. We'll be back :)

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have eaten here a few of times at lunch time, always very busy and just managed to get a table. Great for meat lovers, lots of barbecue style, brisket, ribs, pulled pork, burgers etc. I had the lil burgers this time which as the title suggests are only small, but very delicious and perfect for lunchtime, crispy fries were also good. Quick efficient service, confused by the bad reviews as this place has always been full every time we have visited and we have been happy with our meals. Give it a try

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We visited this restaurant early evening on a Saturday and we loved it.

We were a little early and were asked to wait in the bar so we made the most of it by ordering a couple of cocktails, I started with a hillbilly which was gorgeous. The bar staff were friendly and happy to answer questions. We tried a couple of different drinks whilst we were there, my favourite being the violet flight which was like a liquid form of palma violet, yummy.

For starters we ordered BBQ battered pickles and lil linked sausages. Whilst they were tasty I think next time I'd forgo a starter as the main courses are big. For our main meals we ordered the tasting platter which was delicious. The meat was tender and very, very tasty. There was no fat or gristle and it was clearly good quality. We had mac and cheese side which was delicious. We also ordered corn bread which was a little too sweet for me but in honesty I'm not keen on sweet and savoury mixed.

All the staff were friendly and helpful. There was a couple of times when I had to try and get the servers attention but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Overall, we had a great experience, a lovely meal accompanied by great drinks. We will definitely be going back.

1  Thank Leanne78_10
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have just arrived back from Southern 11 it was really nice, quality second to none. Problem was my sons ordered gooey brownie for dessert, nothing was actually on the menu about nuts being in the brownies until my son had a bite of his and said there are nuts in the brownie, this i thought was odd i have never tasted or heard of nuts in brownies, my son is allergic to them, this could have been serious.

Spoke to the server and she totally agreed that it should have been on the menu about the nuts, spoke to the manager and was told he has never had a brownie without nuts, which i thought was strange, he also told us we should have told them at the very beginning of our visit my son had a nut allergy, we were under the impression it should have have been on the desert menu stating about nuts, give him his due he did say they would make a brownie without nuts in if we went again, very dubious about going back.