“Delicious food in a relaxed environment”
Review of Southern 11 - CLOSED

Southern 11
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a table here early last Friday, as we were due to be at the Academy for 6.30pm. We visit Manchester often and wanted to try somewhere a bit different, and we weren't disappointed.

The decor is great - moden and and quite simple, I'm glad they didn't go over the top with an American theme. The music however was a bit annoying though for me - overly themed.

We were seated and our orders taken quickly (don't mistake this for rushed) - we already knew what we were having to eat as we'd looked at the menu before booking. We both had the tasting platter (pulled pork, beef brisket and pork belly) with parmesan and truffle fires, plus we shared a mac and cheese. The food was extremely tasty - the meats were tender and full of flavour, and the platter came with a side sauce that was tangy but not overpowering. The fires were lovely, I've had truffle fries before that were too strong and made the portion inedible after a while, but the fries here were just right (I finished them this time!). Both of us finished our plates plus the side - the mac and cheese was absolutely delicious. Rich and creamy but not stodgy.

We didn't have the time or stomachs for any desserts or starters, but I would definitely recommend the restaurant on what we had. Our meal (plus one beer and a soft drink) came to £34 which we gladly paid. The staff were friendly but not pushy or intrusive - personally I hate being bothered constantly at restaurants so their service for me was great.

We would certainly return to try a few other things on the menu, and with it being so central it's very easy to find and drop in. A great place for something different than the usual Italian meal out!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Really wanted to rave about Southern 11 unfortunately the service really let it down. I had my husband bring me here for my birthday as we both love American food!

We had a reservation and were a little early so we sat at the bar. When our table was ready a girl came (she appeared to be the maitre'd?) and just said - your table is ready and walked off so we followed. She put the menus on the table and practically ran away. So smile, no specials, no asking about drinks etc. Our order was taken efficiently by a waiter but again no smile or chat. I had the ribeye steak and my husband had the Southern taster platter (pulled pork, brisket and ribs). All of the food was delicious, and we loved the skinny fries. Unfortunately, no one checked how our meal was or if we wanted more drinks and there seemed to be lots of staff around so it was disappointing. We didn't stay for dessert, and no one tried to sell it!

Overall an average experience, the food was great and hopefully the service/staff will improve as this is such an important part of the experience!

Southern 11 need to teach its staff about Southern Hospitality!

1  Thank Arlene B
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We wanted to try somewhere new and were close by so thought we would give it a go! Pretty average service and the place is quite cosy (only one ladies toilet!!!!!??).
We wanted to share chicken wings to start but they didn't have any (not a great start) but our waitress recommended the sausage link which was actually very good -
Spicy kick and a nice sweet BBQ sauce to dip them into.
For mains I had the platter of pork belly ribs, brisket and pulled pork which came with fries and Parmesan. My husband has the selection of mini burgers. We both really enjoyed it - if you are hungry and not worrying about a healthy dinner then go for it!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went there early Saturday evening. Luckily we had booked because the restaurant was full as was the bar area - always a good sign.

Some interesting choices on the menu and the presentation of the food made it look appetising. In fact the meat platter I had was deliscious and very filling. Others in our party had the mini burgers which they thoroughly enjoyed.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I took my 14year old and 10 year children and was concerned the American portions would be too big but the opposite was the case. the Memphis half rack of ribs were good but the beef short rib was just one rib for the price of a good steak and had too much fat on it and failed to fill my ten year old who has a small appetite.

I had the taster meal and it was disappointing. the pulled pork was good but a small amount, the beef bricked was just like slices of Sunday beef and nothing like it is in the states and the hickory pork ribs were all fat and no meat.

we won't be going back.