“Poor customer service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bistro West 156

Bistro West 156
Ranked #47 of 2,184 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Bistro West 156 restaurant is a shining star in the thriving restaurant scene on Burton Road in Manchester���s West Didsbury, a quirky corner that���s a foodie heaven not all that far from where the M60 and the M56 part company. Bistro West 156���s pocket-friendly traditional cooking cuts out all the malarkey to deliver modern British cuisine, the real food that loyal fans adore. The rustic dining room with its granite topped tables, blackboard specials and changing local art displays sets a relaxed tone for easy lunches and suppers. While the food may be fine dining level, the ambience is bistro informal from terrific breakfasts right through to the last sip of dessert wine. Everything is homemade, and customer favourites include superbly cooked comfort classics like fish pie, chicken Kiev and Bistro West 156���s very own melting chocolate pudding. You will succumb. The warm welcome and tables outside entice you to linger.
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Poor customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Went here with my bro for mid-week lunch. I'd been here before and had a very enjoyable experience and thought with my brother just coming back from a years work abroad, this would be the perfect place to take him for some Western cuisine. Unfortunately, our experience here was extremely poor, and we think it could be greatly improved by more staff! We ordered a dish each. I stated "no mayo" for my dish, though when the dish arrived the waitress had forgotten. She apologised and took the dish away. It arrived a minute later on the table, with very poor attempts to scrape the mayo off the burger. I said I really don't like mayo and asked her if she could make it again. She took the dish away, and from where I was sitting I could see the chef angry. My brother then sent his dish back as it had a long blonde hair in it. We have black hair so knew it wasn't ours. Although it wasn't our fault, the lack of friendliness and busy staff made it feel as though we were the problem. 20 minutes later, we were extremely hungry and very happy to see our dishes arrive. Some of the chicken in my brothers piri piri sandwich was uncooked (sealed outside but raw inside). We wasn't going to mention it until after the meal as we could tell that in this small busy establishment, we were holding up the other customers. My brother then found another long blonde hair in his dish. We sent back the dish again and the waitress muttered an apology and we said we were leaving. The food here has been nice and is well priced and looks appetising, but given our poor experience, we won't be coming back again. We felt the situation could have been better handled by the waiting staff.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank huge_appetite
pipsfood4thought, Owner at Bistro West 156, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Its really upsetting that we have probably served 1500 meals or more between reviews, and have wonderful feedback, praise, and loyal regular customers loving what we do , its a sad sign of the times that the one upset customer in a month is the one who goes straight on line and lets the world know about it.. !!
A hair in food is the chefs worst nightmare, and when it happens its never going to be a good situation, yes it was busy for Rachel & Tara ,six tables all arrived in the same ten minute period, and it was unfortunate Tara forgot to note the no mayo request, which resulted in a new burger being cooked. More staff would be nice , but sadly we live in tough times, at lunch times guests don't book unless they are a four or more, so its hard to pre judge, we generally work with one chef , one waitress/ waiter on a mon - Thur lunch , and it would be great if we had a crystal ball and knew what weekday was going to be a busy lunchtime.
Had Rachel had the time she would have made a point of speaking with you, and although it wouldn't change the situation, she would have liked to apologise, in person. I hope our regular & future customers who may consider visiting the Bistro, look beyond this review and look at the " bigger picture".
Just to make clear , the two customers food was not charged for and drinks were given free of charge, We are all sorry about your poor customer service experience, Tara is a young , bright waitress and I guess as we so rarely have complaints , its something she is not highly trained in, Had myself or Shaun been working that lunch ,maybe you would have left with a different feeling. I must stress this really is not a true reflection of the Bistro. Regards - Philip

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice food and welcoming relaxed atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I had lunch with a colleague from work today and wished I had come here years ago. Really nice atmosphere, welcoming staff and very nice food at sensible prices. Nice feel to the place, relaxed and chilled with some interesting artwork on the walls for sale. Just a very enjoyable visit, I will definitely aim to come back soon.

• Visited December 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Very good food at reasonable prices. The only thing that concerned me was that we ordered a bottle of house white wine, only for the owner to tell us that it wasn't that good and he suggested a more expensive option - if he's not that impressed by the house wine, why not change it? On a more personal note, I don't like having a 10% service charge added on to the bill automatically - I would prefer to be allowed to make that decision myself. It was a tad noisy in the restaurant, but that was not the restaurant's fault.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great food!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Amazing food; tasty, fresh! Good value for money, service and wine lid impeccable. Small menu but just enough. Definitely coming back!

• Visited November 2013
Cheshire
“Good food at the right price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have only just discovered this fabulous little restaurant and we really enjoyed both the food and the ambience of this little jewel. The wine list is very good value and has some quality wines available and the menu itself has an excellent range of meals to satisfy both the European taste and those who prefer a more traditional English cuisine.
We both chose the starter of the twice baked Applewood smoked Cheddar souffle with pear & tomato relish which was light and full of flavour. I followed this with the Bistro Lamb tagine which was slow cooked with Moroccan spices and served with a sweet potato cous cous and onion fritter & raita and this was truly fabulous. My wife chose the pan fried Sea Bass fillet which was served on a pea and mint prawn risotto and had an accompaniment of some crunchy fried prawns which was really very tasty. Our main problem was that we did not leave enough room for a desert but we will prepare ourselves to feast on our next visit

• Visited November 2013