“Just really lovely food, ambience and service.”
Review of Bistro West 156 - CLOSED

Bistro West 156
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Bistro West 156 restaurant is a shining star in the thriving restaurant scene on Burton Road in Manchester���s West Didsbury, a quirky corner that���s a foodie heaven not all that far from where the M60 and the M56 part company. Bistro West 156���s pocket-friendly traditional cooking cuts out all the malarkey to deliver modern British cuisine, the real food that loyal fans adore. The rustic dining room with its granite topped tables, blackboard specials and changing local art displays sets a relaxed tone for easy lunches and suppers. While the food may be fine dining level, the ambience is bistro informal from terrific breakfasts right through to the last sip of dessert wine. Everything is homemade, and customer favourites include superbly cooked comfort classics like fish pie, chicken Kiev and Bistro West 156���s very own melting chocolate pudding. You will succumb. The warm welcome and tables outside entice you to linger.
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We eat out often, but Bistro 156 prompted me to write my first ever online restaurant review, as we had such a lovely time from the moment we walked in the door to the time we left.
As a party of 6 people ranging from age 10 to 80 we had meal from the simple kids chicken and chips , preceded by soup; through to dishes with calamari, goats cheese, duck, lamb and steak. Deserts were wonderful, and 3 courses for £20 is amazing value.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I visited just the other week on a Wednesday for the mid-week special (3 courses for £20) and both thoroughly enjoyed our food.

It was lucky that I had booked as every table was taken (I presume it is alwasy busy as 'usual' prices at the weekend are rather pricey) It is very loud in the restaurant due to the small size and lack of soft furnishings however it does provide a vibrant atmosphere. Definately not for a quiet romantic evening but rather exciting and chatty!

The service was good and the food was delicious. Good portion sizes and nice little touches of flavour. The chef even altered the dessert for me to suit my taste. Wish I could afford to go more often!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Ate at Bistro West 156 recently with my partner. It's a nice and intimate restaurant, quite small so probably more suited to smaller groups/couples than large groups. The food is really well cooked and tasty, sort of classic British/French dishes. We both had the black pudding salad for starter which was delicious. I had a special of hake and mussels which was really tasty and a good portion too, while my partner had duck leg. The service is warm and welcoming. It's around £40 per head for three courses and a bottle of wine, so not cheap but worth it for a nice night out.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

phoned to find out about the menu and to make a booking. they said they were too busy to talk to me, told me to look on the web rather than talking on the phone
i was about to book for a party of 5 or 6 at £20 per head on a wednesday night
they must not need the booking as they could not give me the time of the day on the phone, very rude and disappointing and we wont be going

pipsfood4thought, Owner at Bistro West 156, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Fiona, sorry to hear about your telephone experience, just to give background to this we often work with one waiter/ waitress on a Mon/Tue evening, myself & one chef in the kitchen, so if you were to call us between 7-8.30 and we had food waiting to go/ drinks to prepare and serve/ a guest waiting for there bill then its quite likely that we wouldnt have time to discuss the menu with you. I would think that 85% of customers calling us would understand that is how it is in the real small restaurant world.
Unlike Jamie oliver we dont have a dedicated telephone booking agent , sat in an office. When i was sat in Jamies Italian with friends having a drink i tried to book a table for 8 guests for the following Sunday afternoon, with the host at the desk, she took my contact details and said someone would call me .....a few mins later my son phoned me to tell me Jamies had called my home number to discuss my booking, that seemed quite weird as i was sat in his bar area, and had tried to make the booking in person!!! i hadnt previously felt the need to tell the whole world about my booking experience with a world class Restaurant owner.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have only been to this restaurant a handful of times, the last being new years eve when 4 of us had a fantastic evening. I returned this evening and spent a lot of time wondering why we don't go more often. Everything about this restaurant oozes class - the food was great, the atmosphere laid back and the service was second to none. Perhaps importantly in these economically challenging times the cost of the meal was very reasonable The best dining experience on Burton Road. All four of us really enjoyed our night out. In fact we feel a bit guilty that we didn't tip enough and will put that right on out next visit which we will not be leaving as long as last time.