“One of the best”
Review of Bistro West 156

Bistro West 156
Ranked #64 of 2,252 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Bistro West 156 restaurant is a shining star in the thriving restaurant scene on Burton Road in Manchester���s West Didsbury, a quirky corner that���s a foodie heaven not all that far from where the M60 and the M56 part company. Bistro West 156���s pocket-friendly traditional cooking cuts out all the malarkey to deliver modern British cuisine, the real food that loyal fans adore. The rustic dining room with its granite topped tables, blackboard specials and changing local art displays sets a relaxed tone for easy lunches and suppers. While the food may be fine dining level, the ambience is bistro informal from terrific breakfasts right through to the last sip of dessert wine. Everything is homemade, and customer favourites include superbly cooked comfort classics like fish pie, chicken Kiev and Bistro West 156���s very own melting chocolate pudding. You will succumb. The warm welcome and tables outside entice you to linger.
“One of the best”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Excellent food, great location, and good value if you can get on an early bird/mid week offer. I've now been a few times and the food has always been excellent.
The service has been very friendly but the waiter/waiteress knowledge of the food and ability to serve efficiently has varied.
The kitchen is certainly doing things right though and it is one of my Manchester favourites. I'd like them to change the menu's perhaps a bit more frequently - but perhaps I visited too often!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank CBLP

cheshire
“Sadly average”
Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Went here with my friend as she had a voucher for lunch. It was smaller than we expected and only one girl doing what seemed like everything food was ok but not worth another visit as it was not easy to park near by.

2 Thank smokiecheshire
“Genuinely Impressed”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I've waked past this place countless times over the last 4 years and never knew it existed!

We did, however go for a fantastic meal during the week and were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food.The decor of the bistro had me a little nervous when I first arrived to be honest but the standard of food was brilliant and was delivered with great service and at a very reasonable price.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank didsburybloke
uk
“A decent neighbourhood bistro”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Went here for an anniversary meal. I remember that this used to be number 1 or 2 on Trip Advisor for the whole of Manchester not so long ago. I don't think it deserves that rating, but we did have a nice meal here and the food was good, though not by any means outstanding. The food probably merits four stars.

The reason I have given three stars instead is because of two things - the service and the atmosphere. Service was slow. I felt we were kept waiting just a little bit too long between courses. The restaurant wasn't full and I thought it was more a case of inattention by the waitress than anything else. Also, as others have pointed out, it isn't exactly service with a smile. I wasn't sure whether it was a case of being a bit up themselves or just not having a good night for whatever reason, but it wasn't warm and friendly, nor did it seem particularly professional. It felt somewhat aloof and smug. Perhaps a south Manchester thing? To clarify, I didn't feel we were actually treated rudely, it was a lack of human warmth more than anything else.

There was a lack of warmth in other ways, too! It may be August, but it was a cool night when we visited and I actually felt really cold when I left. They have gone for the trendy wooden floor look, which unfortunately is cold in all senses of the word. Also it makes the acoustics poor and it got extremely loud and clattering in there at times. So again the atmosphere was somewhat lacking.

However, the food was good value at £20 for 3 courses and portion size was good. Everything was clearly freshly made and was well presented on the plate. There was also lots of choice on the set menu, which is by no means always the case - often you're restricted to just one or two choices. So that was really good.

I wasn't blown away by the food, though. The Baileys and chocolate cheesecake was nice, but didn't taste much of Baileys. Everything was good, but nothing had the wow factor. Comparing it to Aumbry in Prestwich for example, it wasn't a patch on the sort of haute cuisine you are served there. However, in all fairness this is still a good neighbourhood bistro which has a lot going for it. I wouldn't particularly recommend coming from afar just to visit, though.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank sfuhere
Lancashire, UK
“Excellent restaurant would highly recommend”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I've been to this restaurant twice now and thoroughly enjoyed everything I have ordered both times. My two friends and I visited last week and they both loved the place as much as I do. The food was delicious and the service was excellent, unlike some places who try to rush you through your meal to prepare for the next customer.

I had the twice baked cheese souffle, rump steak and raspberry brulee and couldn't fault anything.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant to other friends, its recommended that a booking is made but on this occasion, a weekday, we rang just 30 minutes prior to book in.

• Visited August 2012