“Simply overrated and not Japanese at all”
Review of Kyotoya

Kyotoya
Ranked #282 of 2,361 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

In the pursuit of Japanese restaurants in Greater Manchester, I visited the place on a Saturday night. I am surprised to notice the average score at this place. I would know a lot lore places worthy of this standing. First of all everything "looks" Japanese but isn't. The sushi are not tasty, the prawns are dry, tuna and salmon are tasteless. Theren is an offence to the institution of ramen in Japan. The beef cut was stiff and not even tasty. The problem with this place is that it tries to do too much. I have never seen such an extensive menu for a Japanese restaurant which pulled it off. It is like wanting to do a steak house, seafood restaurant, a curry house and a pub all I. All. It is just not possible especially when the cooking feels experimental for much of a better word. Reminds me of Salt 'n Pepper in Castlefield. Wide and shallow. I would really resend the owners to shrink the menu and concentrate on only doing fewer dishes but better. What you are doing is an offence to Japanese cusine. Perpetuating a wrong image/taste of Japan doesn't deserve to be called Japanese. Why do I say that? I am Japanese and I believe they know what I am talking about. The worried look of the owner was telling.

9  Thank Kai K

Reviewed June 30, 2013

As many have said, the starters here are great. Gyoza lovely, sushi tasty albeit falling apart at times.

Unfortunately the mains really let this place down. Whilst the flavours were fantastic the sliced chicken was not breast (maybe thigh?), was brown meat containing bits of muscle. The beef strips were chewy and grisly. If only they used better quality of meat eg chucken breast, fillet steak this would be amazing place. As it was i left half of the meat and felt like becoming a vegetarian i was so put off

Reviewed June 27, 2013

What an absolute gem of a restaurant. Easily the best sushi I've ever had and the gyoza are amazing. The food is prepared freshly for you and the lunch special Bento box is great value!!

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Typical that I find this place just as I'm about to move to the city centre. This small gem is hidden away off the main stretch of Withington, but as we walk in we know its going to be good as its pretty busy. Myself and my boyfriend ordered a couple of plates to share, fried octopus, 16 pc sushi platter and a seafood katsu curry. My boyfriend had a couple of beers while I had a jar of sake. Everything was delicious, really really tasty. The service was great, the staff were really friendly and I loved it, bill came to £36, bargain. I'll definitely be travelling from the city centre to get my fix of Japanese. Couple of things... They don't take card, so make sure you have cash when you go and secondly, you have to navigate your way through the kitchens to go to the loo, personally for me, this just adds to the charm :)

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Food was amazing. Best asian cuisine I've had in quite a while. Outside is a bit rundown, but often the best food is hidden away in gems like this - DON'T BE PUT OFF.

I think our waiter struggled a bit with all of our varied accents and talking pace but we got the order sorted in the end and he was always at hand to help when needed.

The limited seating keeps the atmosphere intimate and friendly, with the staff constantly playing chair tetris to accomodate everyone. We got a table for six at 9pm on a Sunday night without a reservation, but felt very lucky as several groups were turned away just after us - worth booking.

We had pretty much everything on the menu between the six of us, with the Sushi (Maki), Chicken Gyoza and Salmon Terriyaki the stand out dishes.

The toilets are basic and located in the back. It adds to the intimate and kitsch feeling of the place but I'd probably give it a miss for a romantic meal (particularly a first date) unless you're positive your partner will see the funnny side of below par toilet facilities (they are very clean though).

Value for money was excellent, particularly for groups willing to share multiple dishes.

Overall I really hope the place keeps it kitsch feel and doesn't trade food quality for a quick buck.

Definitely coming back.