“Good food and service”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Came in here for a pre-theatre meal. Menu is a mixture of Greek and Italian. We shared a starter of Greek bread with balsamic vinegar, taramasalata and chopped peppers and olives which was excellent. Our main courses were lamb shank and the house burger. Lamb beautifully cooked. Burger tasty but a bit overcooked. Many restaurants refuse to cook them rare. Couple of glasses of a very acceptable NZ Sauv Blanc. Prices reasonable and service friendly and efficient. Only downside was the loud background music. Everyone trying to talk over it which made it very noisy. No idea why they think they need this.

2  Thank Trenean

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Called in as the restaurant was round the corner from M/cr. MEN Arena
Chose ribs from the extensive menu and my wife had the Lamb Shank
Got to say it ranks as one of the best tasting meals we have ever had,
Staff were very attentive and helpful
Would certainly recommend to anyone wanting a good tasting meal!

3  Thank MasterThatcher
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I popped in here for lunch recently. The staff were friendly and helpful and there was a good choice of food. The food we had was excellent so no complaints there.

My one issue was, when getting our bill, the rip off cost for a dash of cordial! My wife ordered 2 lime juice and soda water and had to pay £3.30 for the cordial and a further 50p for the soda water! It would have been nearly as cheap to drink alcohol!

I really dislike restauraunts punishing and over charging people who are trying to be sensible and not drink drive!

1  Thank Stokietomo
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Restaurants that are situated in 'entertainment' areas, such as The Printworks, don't often live up to expectation and rarely offer a really enjoyable meal. Papa G's is a bit of an exception in that respect as the food is very good: full of flavour, plentiful, well cooked, and with some nice Greek options to choose from, there's something for everyone. The restaurant was heaving when we arrived early on a Sunday evening, but after a drink (in the rather cramped bar area) we were seated within 20 minutes.
Service was good, with a decent mix of friendly and efficient staff. The starters were excellent. We had the mushroom risotto balls and the stuffed vine leaves, both of which were lovely. The mains were also good and very filling. All in all a good meal, at a reasonable cost, in a nice atmosphere. Probably the best choice in the Printworks...

1  Thank Damien C
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I really don't like writing bad reviews, and this isn't bad per se, but I was a little disappointed by my visit to this restaurant.

I visited Papa G's for a late lunch with a friend - we hadn't pre-booked, I really hate just walking into restaurants un-announced but all the places we had wanted to go to in the Northern Quarter (Teacup, The Blue Pig, Trof) were full to the brim with yuppies or people reading broadsheets and I was starting to get woozy with starvation.

We were greeted by a very attentive host who I think must be the owner. The young waiter we were served by was also charming and friendly, and we were served our drinks quickly albeit a bit faffily for the time of day. Maybe I'm just not used to proper service being a rough and tumble northern girl.

The mixed mezze starter for two was a bit of a triumph - calamari was the selling point for me (my favourite) and the sesame crusted halloumi was also delicious. The home made hummus was very moreish and made me think perhaps I should have just got a bowl of calamari, some flatbread and hummus rather than the giant plate of food we were served.

By the time we'd made a dent in the starter we were full. Mistake. We'd ordered a burger each (our original plan was that we didn't care where we went as long as we got a burger out of it) and their approach was looming. We were a bit scared.

My greek burger had some very delicious toppings on (halloumi and some greek ham and tsatziki) however the burger pattie itself was - sorry - bland. I hoped it was meant to be rare but I couldn't be sure. I ate half but seriously couldn't eat all of it. My own fault for being a pelican (eyes can hold more than my belly can).

The fat chips were seriously big jenga blocks of potato and I managed to eat two of them, I felt like a bit of a failure in all honesty.

It seems like a good venue for big birthday parties and night time dining but it's a bit too cavernous for lunch in my opinion. But then I do like smaller places, it's a personal preference really. People kept asking for the lunch menu which isn't served on weekends so I assume it is a very popular lunch venue nevertheless.

Sorry Papa G, I will come back and try the Beef Stifado!