“Papa G's first visit.”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Morecambe, England, United Kingdom
“Papa G's first visit.”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We chose Papa G's based on the reviews on here and that my other half wanted it for her birthday meal. Very friendly welcome and seated immediately and were given menus straight away. Our starters were served quickly, and piping hot, with no rush to eat. The food was not Michelin star stuff but it was more than just good. When our mains came, it was excellent, and cooked to perfection.
It had the look of a franchise/chain but the feel of the independent that it is. Personally, I feel it would benefit more from a location more away from places like Wetherspoons and Hard Rock cafe. I'd love to see it on Deansgate. But this is not really relevant to the food.
I wouldn't hesitate to encourage others to visit Papa G's, but don't fall into the trap of thinking it is a franchise/chains. Within minutes of meeting the staff you will know it is a special independent.
As a surprise, Vas (who I assume is the manager) brought a Baklava with a candle for my better half with was a lovely touch on her birthday.
My son was with us also, he chose from the main menu, and being a very fussy 13 year old I was worried about hat he would eat from this Mediterranean menu. I worried for nothing, and is it testament to the food that he ate the lot!
Thank you ever so much Papa G's, we will be back soon.

Rugby, United Kingdom
“Delicious, great value lunch”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Quite busy for a Thursday lunchtime. Staff were friendly and attentive and the food was delicious.
We took advantage of their lunchtime menu, and both ordered different starters and main course. All four dishes were fantastic in terms of value, presentation and taste.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Tasty food, friendly efficient service”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Upon arrival we were given a warm welcome and informed that there would be a 10-15 min wait. We explained that we only had roughly an hr as we were going to the MEN and asked would this be a problem. Not at all! We had barely gotten a drink from the bar before our buzzer went off and we were shown to our table. The waitress arrived quickly and explained the specials to us. She was very happy and smiley. We only waited 15 mins before the food arrived and wow it looked good! We had soulvaki which were excellent. the lamb and chicken was cooked perfectly and were generous portions. Everything was tasty and well seasoned. I would definately recommend visiting Papa G's if you haven't already!
The prices are very reasonable (£15 for the soulvaki which comes with flatbread, dips, chuncky chips)

Ripponden
“Could be better, but would go again”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Two of us went on a Sunday evening after being recommended by a friend. Being from Greek origins myself, I have dined out in many Greek restaurants, both in Greece and The UK.
In brief, I liked the modern atmosphere and decor which is not the norm for Greek restuarants; I felt that the floor space could have been used better as there were lots of people waiting at the bar for a table which was distracting as we were right near the entrance/bar. The food was very good and well presented; I couldn't fault the lamb kleftiko, which was falling off the bone. We had the dips starter which was good, I had the lamb kelftiko and the baklava for dessert which was very tasty. The reason why I gave the average score is down to the service. The waiters/waitresses were cold and inattentive. They may have been fairly busy and stressed, but a little smile couldn't have hurt! We were going to have coffees after our desserts, but the waitress came and threw down our bill (I hadn't even asked for it) over my shoulder with a "there's ya bill when ya ready!" I had to turn around to see who it was from, but she'd already started to walk away before I could tell her we weren't ready for the bill! When the manager came to take our payment we informed him as to what had happened and he did apologise and said he could cancel the bill, but to be honest, it was getting packed and we felt rushed to get out so said no.
Overall, It was reasonably priced for what we got, it was clean and modern. Food was good, service as I said was was quite bad; but I would visit again and hopefully we'll catch the servers in a better mood!

• Visited September 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable, but not as good as a couple of the local competitors”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Been to Pappa Gs on the good reviews on Tripadviser, we were not disappointed, but it was not as good as the cheerleading from some of the previous reviews.

We went on a Sunday night and they were full, but we were found a table immediately, we ordered bread and dips to start, nothing special, but the lime and garlic houmous was very nice. However, I did think that £1.95 for some extra bread was a bit steep when it is generally free elsewhere.

On to the mains, a fishcake, salad and chips £14.95, again a little over the top, but my wife enjoyed it. I had the souvlakia that was again £14.95 and much better value and very enjoyable. My general criticism was that the place has seemed to have got the chain fever, that is to say it just lacked something and everything looked like it had been portion controlled and mass made.

Would I go back again, well if I was passing, but not as a special trip, I may look like from some of my comments above that I am obsessing with the cost of some of the items, that’s not case, I just found the cost v perceived value for money not there.