“Fantastic food, just need more staff!”
Review of Papa G's - CLOSED

Papa G's
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Visited here before seeing John Bishop one weekend in September. Luckily we had reserved a table as there was a 40 minute wait! We were seated upstairs where we were told was a little quieter although still had a nice atmosphere to it.

To start I had the calamari which was gorgeous. Not at all rubbery and quite a large portion to start. My partner had the spicy sausage which he said was lovely, and he had very high praise of the accompanying potato salad.

I had the Greek burger for my main and there was no problems when I asked for the fat chips to be substituted for a Greek salad. Both the burger and salad were absolutely divine although there was so much I struggled to finish it. It was that good my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

My partner had the mixed grill and he said it was lovely. I managed to wrestle a fat chip of him and they were also great..like giant roast potatoes!

I don't know when I'll be in Manchester again but ill certainly be visiting here again. Only thing I will suggest is that the upstairs gets a bit more staff. The upstairs was full but there was only two people working and had to keep disappearing downstairs, which sadly did effect the service. This is no fault of the staff though, who were both running round none stop trying to serve everyone.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Had a date here last Friday night. The restaurant had a lovely atmoshere with Greek music playing in the background. The staff were friendly as soon as we walked in and we were shown to our table. We ordered drinks my date said his draft san miguel was good. For starters we shared a Greek platter for 2 OMG this was amazing everything on the platter was delicious. For the main course I ordered the lamb shank with potatoes and my date ordered the mixed grill. We were surprised by the size of the portions (put it this way you wouldnt leave still hungry) the food was so good we would defo go back, it was hot and tasty its just a shame we couldnt eat everything and believe me my date tried his best. After waiting a while I Decided to order the crepes with chocolate sauce and strawberry ice cream for dessert, they were lovely and very enjoyable. Overall myself and my date had a lovely evening the food, service and atmosphere all 10 outta 10 cant wait to go back.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had a 5pm Friday reservation because we were going to a show that night. The restaurant was quiet as we entered but that very quickly changed and within half an hour the place was thriving. There's a real energy and vibe to the place we really enjoyed.

The service was great. Really friendly without being too intrusive and it was great to see people who looked happy in their work. The food was wonderful. On a friend's recommendation we just had the Meze Starter selection for two which we added a couple more starters/sides to and then crepes for dessert. It was absolutely delicious and even with a decent bottle of wine came to less than £30/head.

Thanks for a wonderful start to a great night Papa G's! We'll definitely be back,

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We love the food and everything there. Especially the Halomi in sesame seeds. Staff are too kind. Everything was awesome. If there is one thing to say, the logo does not show much that it is a Greek restaurant; which the only thing we did not like. Yet everything is great.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Eat here once before and knew we had to return, so reserved a table five days earlier for a Saturday at 6pm. At first said they were full, but after mentioning we had been before and had a great experience the manager said he could fit us in if we could arrive 15 minutes earlier.
On arrival the place was 'buzzing' . The bar was full of customers waiting for tables, so when I checked in the 'front of house' said we would only have a short wait of 5 - 10 mins. There was a current wait of 45 minutes for those without  reservations.
Within 5 mins we were asked if we wanted to eat downstairs or upstairs were it was a little quieter. We chose the first floor and were taken straight to our table. The staff were exceptionally busy and really there should have been more staff, but they worked well and were a little slow with a few things due to the pressure. The table next to us received their starters and main at the same time! We ordered a bottle of wine which never arrived until I mentioned it when our starters were delivered. Our waiter apologised but made sure service to us was very good from then till we left.
We both had very good meals which were cooked to our liking and was plentiful. The 'big'  chips were superb. We could not consider a desert as we had had sufficient with the two courses.
Without doubt the atmosphere makes this place great, along with the hardworking staff.
Even though it was busy, we were under no pressure to eat and leave quickly.
Situated in the Printworks with many other restaurants and bars. Very close to Picadilly station and the MCR Arena. You should not be disappointed!