“Budget Hotel”
Review of Diamond Lodge

Diamond Lodge
Ranked #66 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed for just one night. Check in quick and efficient. Room clean but with a distinctive musty, lived in aroma. Bathroom floor covering was bubbled and lifting due to water egress.Shower was powerful and refreshing. Mattress was of the memory foam type and was very comfortable. Went to the bar for a drink which is attached to reception so is served by the two receptionists on duty. We ordered our drinks which the lady started pouring. She then stopped half way through and commenced serving other people, I noticed our drinks appeared to join the other customers order. She then went to serve another customer. We highlighted the fact that she had taken our order but had then subsequently ignored us, she replied, "What did you order", we told her and it suddenly dawned on her that she had given our drinks to the other customer. She said, "Sorry, everyones in my face" There were no more than five at the bar!!! On a personal opinion, the two receptionists were adorned with several tattoos clearly on display on the arms and neck which I find unprofessional. Breakfast was a free for all, no check in just find an empty table, which we did, that had not been prepared (help yourself to cutlery) Everything was self service. It appears that anyone could walk in off the street and help themselves. Food was usual mass produced and kept in warming containers. At the time of our stay there was a large contingent of Irish Manchester United football fans who were loud but friendly. Would I use the Hotel again - no. Would I recommend it to someone who wanted a cheap over night stop near to Manchester - probably.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike187053

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We spent a night in this hotel and I must say that it wasn`t quite fantastic. The room we were given had a very musty smell and faced the main road, hence car noises driving past did not help.
The major problem with this hotel is the wooden walls and floors. We were on the second floor and every noise upstairs was being heard.
There was a horrible guest directly above us who keep on walking about and moving stuffs through out the night that we couldn`t get to sleep at all due to the noise. These shows the extent of soundproofing in the lodge.
The complimentary breakfast was not too bad but not the best.
The lodge is value for money but don`t expect any luxuries.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is only the second time I've been to Diamond Lodge and it is still value for money and I find this has all that I need for creature comforts and has a lot more going for than some other places of this type of accomodation.

I wasn't able to get the type of room I wanted but what I did get was of high quality with everything I could ask for and well laid out.

My room was clean and tidy - and the bathroom/ shower was on the small but very practical, after all you are not going to live it are you and there is a soap dispencer instead of bars of soap which I found very useful (well done).

There was a Sharp Plasma Television fitted on the wall with twenty four channels, I think I tried all of them, till I found the one I wanted ( makes it very interesting ).

The price for a nights stay which included breakfast and free car parking was £45 and well worth it in my estimation.

I found there are two ways to get into Manchester, either by taxi, which can booked at reception or the 203 bus which goes to Manchester Piccadilly - ask at reception where the bus stop is.

If you are thirsty at night and want a hot drink; there is a tray which has all you need to make yourself a drink - once you've been to Diamond Lodge, you won't want to go anywhere else.

Room Tip: When you choose a room online, book early to get the right one
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Booked a double room and a room with 4 beds for 6 people for a night out. There were huge rips on sheets and bed linen. Bath towels were only small towels basically hand towels. Rooms were really hot even with heaters off and windows open. Stains all over carpets and bath towels. Only good thing about the room was the shower was nice and poweful and hot

Breakfast was an experience. No clean glasses even though we were told they were clean -clearly not with lip stick marks on. Sausages were really cold. Plates were dirty. Orange juice was orange squash. And had to clear away tables to use them.

Glad this was for a night out and wasnt at the hotel very much.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank phili19
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Does exactly 'what it says on the tin' (and in the photos). Found the room (209) to be clean, a tad cold when I arrived but the heater soon remedied that. Decent tv channels, in-room hair dryer, full length mirror and the in-room tea/coffee/kettle were a welcomed gesture given the late hour I checked in (11:50pm).

Great parking facilities, staple breakfast and communal ironing room.

Michelle and Katie were on reception when I checked out, I found them personable, yet professional, with chuckles all round!!

A definite recommend to my fellow travellers looking for a practical, accessible, clean and economic place to 'lay their head for the night'...

Room Tip: Room 209 is located on the main road side of the hotel, but I slept well.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is not my usual choice of accommodation - we stayed as part of an organised trip to Belle-Vue race track.
I have to say I wasn't looking forward to my stay but the rooms were surprisingly clean the staff were friendly and the breakfast was apparently (I didn't have anything) great with a wide choice.
For what we paid I think it was sufficient.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I'll start by saying you get what you pay for! This is classed as a budget hotel and although the room was minimal it was clean, comfortable and more than adequate. I was particularly impressed with the cleanliness of the bathroom which had more than ample hot water and plenty of clean towels. If all you want is somewhere to lay your head at night then this hotel is just what you want. We were in room 201 and didn't find it to noisy even though it was close to the main road.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful and in our case nothing was to much trouble.
The buffet breakfast was very good. My only criticism is that there were only scrambled eggs and no fried for those who prefer but hey it's included in the price of the room and all in all was great value. Bear in mind that you can pay more for rooms at Premier inn and the like and they actually charge up to £16.00 for breakfast as an extra!!! Our Daughter stayed in the same room on a single bed and it only cost £12.00 extra including breakfast, great value!
There is a comfortable lounge area with a large screen TV and a bar for a quiet drink. There are two coffee machines which are used for breakfast mainly but we were able to help ourselves with no extra charge. There were facilities in the room for coffee etc but we didn't use them. Car parking was also ample with disabled bays for those who require one although I noticed a couple of vehicles that didn't seem to take any notice or simply didn't display their badge.
All in all a very comfortable stay and we would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: If you want to ensure a quieter room just ask reception when you book, they are very helpful.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family