“Good Location, you know what you get”

Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
Ranked #49 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I flew into Manchester Airport but was only staying in the city for a night. The Ibis is a great central location, easy to get to.

The rooms are as you would expect - everything was basic, but clean. You get what you pay for, no surprises, which is good. I would definitely stay again, if all I needed was a central location, and a reliably clean room with friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Manchester Centre and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind regards, Ioannis Koletakis

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Not much you can say about this hotel, but it is good value, well located and clean.

Pay for the breakfast - its good and there is plenty of it - all you can eat.

My only criticism is the broadband provider for the internet access. Its Orange France - not even Organge UK. Why not have something british that we can all access.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Ibis Manchester Centre. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the broadband services, we also offer our own Multimedia package at £9.99 in which you can access internet, movies & music for 24 hours We hope to see you on your next visit.

Kind regards, Ioannis Koletakis

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was visiting Manchester for a weekend away and I'm so glad to have picked the ibis on Portland street. Excellent location very easy walk from the train station. On arrival the exterior looked fresh, clean & inviting. Friendly welcoming staff nothing was too trouble. The rooms are light spacious & very clean. I felt completely relaxed & at ease just what u need after a week at work. Slight mix up with the room we had 2 single beds which was quickly corrected whilst we went out. Drinks at the bar reasonably priced & a bar snack menu was available. Breakfast was plenty of choice & until midday at weekends so a lie in is possible. My bill was accurate & check out was easy & the team helpful. I would definately stay again!!

• Stayed: September 2012
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you for your excellent review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Manchester Centre and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,

An Accor traveler
Reviewed September 3, 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Reviewed August 30, 2012

As part of a tour group we stayed at this Ibis Budget hotel for three nights at the end of August.

There is no parking on site and car drivers must park their cars in a nearby car park for about £6 a night.

Check in was handled reasonably efficiently though here and on occasion during our stay I found a slight tinge of petulance and put uponness in staff attitudes, certainly not as welcoming as, for example, Premier or Holiday Inns that I have stayed in.

Our room was small but reasonably well appointed with two twin beds, both next to each other so making a kind of divided double. There were a reasonable number of plug sockets and a fair amount of desk space. A TV was provided but the range of channels was comparatively few. A kettle and coffee and tea sachets were available but we needed to ask for more decafeinated coffees. Wardrobe space would be insufficient for any but brief stays.

Wifi is available through third party contracting with Orange and is expensive by today's standards.

Bed linen was clean, but overall the room was rather tatty. In particular, the carpet was dirty and could have done with a steam clean.

The bathroom was clean, though the shower cubicle had some damage to it. The shower itself worked very well.

Food was available throughout the day but we only sampled the breakfast buffet. The staff found it hard to deal with the numbers taking it and seating was at a premium and too often items ran out and were slow being replaced.

The towels have been described in other reviews. The bath towels were small and thin and, at one per person, were insufficient in number to allow two room occupants to shower on the same day. I asked for more towels and was subjected to a kind of cross examination by the manager as to why I would need them. I do hope that soon the hotel manager implements his promise repeated often in these pages to improve things.

In sum, an average budget hotel that simply does not compare to the Premier and Holiday Inn and Travel Lodge competition in terms of service. A final example: we returned to the hotel at 9.30 in the evening. The automatic door would not open. We waved and knocked - no reply. We eventually found a note that told us that the door could only be opened by swiping the door key after 11 p.m. We asked why it had been locked so early. The answer was that this was always done when the hotel was quiet. I would prefer to stay in a hotel where the customers' interests were higher up the agenda.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davidhchess
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Dear davidhchess

Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your stay at the Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At the same time, I am also disappointed that you have not mention at all our conversation regarding how very important our guest feedback is for us and the actions that we take as a company in order to provide a superior service experience for every guest. Like our newly installed beds with bigger pillows and mattresses with memory foam toppers, our new towels and linen due to arrive in October and our pending update to our bedrooms with new carpets.

Inevitable, we may get something wrong as closing the doors bit too early, however, my team and I we are always available and keen to put things right straightaway and with a big smile. I am really sorry that we did not managed to show you how friendly and great team we are.
Ones again, we appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The hotel is in a really good central location. Approximately 5 minutes walking distance from Manchester Arndale Centre/Picadilly Central. 5 minutes walk from the coach station and good bus links right outside the hotel too.

It is a practical hotel with basic rooms offering en-suite shower and bathroom facilities, kettle/tea/coffee making facilities,tv and hairdryer.

Rooms and corridors are a bit tired looking but this did not take away from the value of staying in such a central location at such an affordable price (approximately £39 per night).

Staff were not very knowledgeable on local area information but were helpful and offered a map of the city centre area.

We would recommend requesting a room away from the lifts perhaps, to prevent being disturbed by noise from other guests walking past.

We would consider staying here again, for the value for money the hotel offers as well as being conveniently located.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear rsb81,

Great to hear how much you enjoyed your visit to Manchester and your stay at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street.

Ones again thank you for your feedback and looking forward to welcome you back at Ibis Manchester again very soon.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for its great location: close to the city centre, as well as major bus and train stations. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Although the corridors are quite worn, the room was modern and clean. The hotel has just bought new beds and mine was very comfortable. As the hotel is situated in the city area, there is a lot of traffic noise when the window is open. I used ear plugs.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Dear FlyingSparrow,

I am very pleased to read your positive comments regarding our new beds. We are very proud to have them.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the noise from the street. Next time that you visit Manchester please let us know to allocate for you a quieter room at the back of the hotel that face our courtyard.

Ones again thank you for your feedback and looking forward to welcome you back at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street again very soon.