“Be careful what you wish for...”

Whitworth Art Gallery
Ranked #44 of 193 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Whitworth is part of the University of Manchester. It is home to some of the UK's finest collections of art and design including modern and historic fine art, prints, textiles and a rare collection of wallpapers.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Whitworth is a favourite of mine, and on Sunday we visited specifically to enjoy a free concert by the RNCM oboists. What a great idea, music performed in a gallery, and in principle it was. The trio was superb, and the acoustics of the room really enhanced the programme. However, I have to agree with other reviewers. It was spoilt for us by very young children being allowed to run around, screaming at will. I understand that venues such as this have a duty to encourage young people to partake, but this was ludicrous. And following the concert, trying to engage with the exhibitions, particularly the Hockney selection, whilst one little poppet had a full blown tantrum, was impossible, and pointless. How about some evening opening hours for grown ups? The cafe, by the way, is super.

3  Thank KPFH
in 197 reviews
"textiles"
in 70 reviews

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Sadly this gallery, presumably to pull down funding, is holding three events for babies & young children per week. Great if you are a parent or a child'. not so good if you want to seriously look at the art. I went to see the Jane & Louise Wilson exhibition. This was serious & thought provoking. The film needed concentration from the visitor; the sound wasn't that good, the dialogue was partly by Russians & the subject was sombre. I found it very hard to take in due to the cries & screams of very young children. The gallery is largely open plan, sound carries & I had gone on Art Baby day.
The events for tiny children are on Monday, Wednesday & Sunday, so if you don't like children or are going to study & need quiet avoid these times.
Otherwise it is an excellent gallery. I hope they will move these activities to somewhere where the sound travels less.

5  Thank Masaka47
Reviewed January 11, 2013

One of my grand-children, in my opinion, has a 'talent' for art. Always drawing and colouring. No piece of paper is safe from the pencil. (She does have other interests as well, multi-tasking is her forte). I took her to the gallery thinking it might give her a few ideas about how she presents her work, what subjects might appeal to het other than what she already is aware of, see was only eight when I took her. I am afraid I was quite disappointed with what we found in there, very little to stimulate an active mind and I felt we both wasted an hour of our lives.

2  Thank Malcolm J
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I visited the gallery to see the African exhibition. It was lovely. They really made me think. No complaints what-so-ever.

2  Thank kittyperry