“Nice food in a nice setting”

Home Sweet Home - Northern Quarter
Ranked #4 of 50 Dessert in Manchester
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I went here for Saturday lunch at around noon. We got a table straight away but not long after people began to queue. The venue isn't that big but has atmosphere. I ordered the waffles and my friend ordered a sandwich both of which arrived at our table only a short time after ordering and were delicious. We had some of the teas on offer which were enjoyable the only thing i would say is that I felt rushed here to go soon after my food so that they could re occupy the table. I have been to a few other cafes in the northern quarter where we have been able to sit and relax drinking teas after our food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,248)

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The purpose of this review is to give the reader a sense of what an average visit – their average visit – will be like but in all honesty the Home Sweet Home experience will be nothing short of superb, such a lovely warm atmosphere and you feel so welcome from the second you walk into the country/vintage style room. So much attention to detail has gone into the decor of the building to really create the 'home sweet home' feeling.

The service is very friendly and its quite refreshing to receive such good customer service that isn't forced, the staff genuinely love working there and naturally serve with a smile.

Most importantly the food is delicious, I've been a few times and sampled various options but I have to say the Burgers are so, so juicy with such a rich delicious flavour. You HAVE to order a Milkshake, retro American style shakes again with such a smooth taste.

I'm a big fan of supporting local business none more so than Home Sweet Home so after my 4th visit I've finally opted to write this review.

Keep it up guys!!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Came here for a late lunch, lovely warm atmosphere, not at all busy so seated quickly! Staff were a bit blasé and took a while to take our order, obviously no communication between them because 5 minutes later we had another waitress come up and take our order again. The staff seem to pay more attention to chatting to one another than their customers needs. Food waiting time was about 15 minutes but was worth the wait! We had a burger and chips- superb! No complaints! Food was great, relaxing atmosphere, just need a bit more work on the staff!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I recently posted a review of ‘Common’ on Manchester’s Edge Street and mentioned ‘Home Sweet Home’ next door. I’d walked past the place dozens of times, only recently taking the plunge and going in.

Inside it’s decorated in a sort of country kitchen/bohemian style. It’s as cosy as these places can get, when one wall is plate glass and facing the street. Tables are small, designed for two people, more would be crowded. There’s free WiFi, both provided by the café and by Manchester’s new public WiFi ‘cloud’, but the clientele are laptop, rather than Macbook users.

There is background music, but it’s unremarkable, and while there’s an impressive selection of bottled beers, hot beverages and exotic shakes, the only draught beer is Red Stripe.

The menu is small, but imaginative, comprising breakfasts, burgers, sandwiches, chilli and pulled pork. The Chicken Chilli – served in a hollowed out roll looks interesting, while the pulled pork is, by all accounts, cooked overnight. It’s served either in a sandwich or, as I’ve enjoyed it, as a ‘pile-up’ – piled on a bed of sweet potato fries, with sliced jalapenos, coleslaw and salad.

I’m sure it’s a great please to meet friends for a coffee and a chat, but for me it’s just a little too snug.

So, it’s a nice enough place, serving great pulled pork, it’s just not for me. If they would deliver their pulled pork next door, with its great selection of beers, life for me would be perfect.

1  Thank BobtheBrit
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Have visited HSH twice over the past two weeks, the first time with my grandchildren on a busy Sunday morning, the staff were so good and very attentive to three very noisy children. Although I am not an egg fan, all reckoned the Eggs Benedict were amazing and I ended up having most of my grand-daughters Blueberry Milkshakes, amazing !!
Second time was a more leisurely lunch with a friend, the Buffulo Chicken Sandwich & chips which was perfect, then the special cheesecake of the day, Blueberry Cheesecake with white chocolate & Maple Syrup, best ever !!
Service on both occasions was excellent, the staff are so friendly and the ambiance is perfect, well worth a visit if you are in the NQ.