“Good food, great cocktails”
Review of Australasia

Australasia
Ranked #72 of 2,420 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Asian, European, Australian, Fusion
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Modern Australian cuisine combines Pacific Rim flavours underpinned by European cooking tradition, a blend of Indonesian, Southeast Asian influences and Australia's strong ties with Japan also help determine the taste and style.
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We really enjoyed our visit to Australasia and would visit again but next time we would order more dishes than advised. We ordered 4 dishes per person plus 2 sides and we were left feeling a little hungry. I suppose if you are going to eat dessert that would've been just enough but we aren't really dessert people. The edamame beans were delicious and the tuna sashimi was really good. The best and most memorable thing we ate was the pork belly with scallops. We had a different cocktail each time and managed to sample quite a few! My husband loved the 'Smokey old fashioned'. The service was great and our waiter was very helpful and looked after us well. Our bill for 2 was around £135, 50% on food and 50% on drinks. Definitely worth a try if you want to try something a bit different.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,707)

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Have been here several times for drinks and thought the food would be great too. What a mistake. We ordered several of the tapas style dishes and each one was blander than the last.
How can you get satay chicken wrong?! It wasn't cheap either, so recommend you stay only for a drink and eat elsewhere. Such a shame as this place looks the part and has a fantastic bar area.

1  Thank LeedsF00die
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have been looking forward to visiting this restaurant for such a long time, and I can’t explain how disappointed I was. Especially after reading all the positive reviews!

We had a drink in the bar area before our meal, the cocktails were lovely but were ruined by the obnoxious moody bar man. The barman made an error twice which was very embarrassing for myself and left me very unsettled (long story). However an apology would of being appreciated, instead he stormed off and never said anything.

The waiters were friendly and made a big effort, but the food was very average, maybe this is because we had a set menu?
The chicken was dry and overcooked & the unseasoned beef was very chewy quite clearly cheap cuts of beef.
This was served with bland sweet potato, which had way too much milk in it. I could only describe it as inedible baby food SLOP!

I thought surely the dessert will make up for it!!

The small portioned dessert was placed in the middle of the table between four with no side plates. You have to admit this is slightly awkward when in a business meeting and you have to start sharing cutlery and leaning over the table to taste the dessert. One dessert per person would have gone down much more desirable.

3  Thank young_b20
Reviewed April 24, 2013

it was my birthday on the day of the visit to Manchester, so I got to choose where we went to eat!! I had wanted to come to Australasia for ages but my mum always wasnt too keen!!
I loved the whole experience from the minute I walked throught the door!
The restaurant itself is very modern / chic, the service top notch and the food including presentation of the food was out of this world ....
It probably isnt the cheapest place to eat however you certainly get wheat you pay for!
I really didn't find one thing to be critical about!
We visited on a Monday lunchtime. (by the way there is an 8 week waiting list for a Saturday evening reservation)
Well done Australasia you are now my favourite restaurant in Manchester and guess what you even impressed my mum!!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Visited Saturday evening for my friends hen do. We booked a booth in the late lounge a couple of weeks prior to our visit.

The door men were very polite and had a nice sense of humour when they booked my name wrong as we joked about it.

We had to wait a short period for our pre booked booth although it was worth the wait and worth pre booking the booth as the bar area was quite busy and it seemed to be difficult to get served at the bar. The only down side to our visit.

The interior of the booth was perfect and the service provided and the friendliness of the staff was very impressive and worth the wait. They happily brought extra seating to the booth ordered our taxis on leaving and advised us as a group when they had arrived. Having visited many cities across Europe this has been one of the best bar experiences we have had as a group and are already planning our return with a visit to the restaurant also. I would reccomend the late lounge and a special addition to your night. With a back drop of funky music allowing you talk as a group.