“Great treat”

Ranked #43 of 2,274 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Asian, European, Australian, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Modern Australian cuisine combines Pacific Rim flavours underpinned by European cooking tradition, a blend of Indonesian, Southeast Asian influences and Australia's strong ties with Japan also help determine the taste and style.
York, United Kingdom
“Great treat”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Booked for a Thursday evening at 7pm, we arrived a little earlier so had a drink at the bar. I had the passioncolada it was amazing. Our waiter (Ashley) was friendly and very helpful/knowledgable about the menu. We chose the option to share several of the items from the menu. The food was to a very high standard, I especially loved the tuna tartar and the rhubarb crumble. I would recommend this place to anyone coming to Manchester. Slightly pricey but it was a great treat.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank yshire-food-critic

• Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, footballer style atmosphere”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I went to Australasia for the first time with two friends recently not really knowing what to expect. We had 9 small plates between the three of us as recommended by the waitress though neither of my two friends are big eaters. The food itself was lovely, really nicely presented and tasted great. We ate mostly seafood which was clearly very good quality, highlights for me were the scollops with pork belly and black cod both of which really were divine and the kingfish sashimi was also very good though for me the taste was numbed a little as it was served on ice. Unfortunately the two meat dishes we had, salt and pepper beef and lamb cutlets were disappointing. Some of the chunks of beef were beautifully rare but others were over done and for me all of the lamb was over done to the point of being a little chewy. The service was generally pretty good if not amazing. The girl who showed us to our table was amazingly smug and snooty and our waitress was friendly, if again a little smug. Her warning that we were being given fresh wasabi so it would be stronger felt pretty patronising to me. The other diners seemed to consist of a mixture of couples and family groups out for special occasion meals (like we were) and couples consisting of a man with a shaved head and a huge watch and a woman wearing enormous heels and almost no clothes.
In general I thought the pricing wasn't ridiculous but was still a bit excessive.

• Visited April 2013
Batley, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food, great service”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We went to Australasia for lunch back in January and are going again this month we enjoyed it so much! The cocktail menu is extensive and really great (I can thoroughly recommend the Violet Crumble...divine) we had a selection of dishes to share, and all were well prepared and delicious.

The waiter was pleasant friendly and helpful, and it wasn't as stuffy and pretentious as I had feared - decor is plush but not over-bearing and seating is comfortable and not too squashed.

A great visit!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank lieselkirkpatrick
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Such a gem!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had lunch here on the lunch deal and it was fabulous! It was surprising how bright and airy the place is considering it is downstairs. If you are on a tight lunch schedule, order ahead as service was slowish for a lunch time.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Rachel W
Southampton, United Kingdom
“loved it.”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My boyfriend took me here for an Easter date. From the second I stepped in to the moment we left (3 hours later) I loved it. The atmosphere was lovely. The waitress was fantastic guiding our every choice without being over-powering, and the food was delicious! We had a very early dinner so were able to take our time and keep ordering the smaller dishes, which was perfect. And my cocktails were scrummy! Really recommend this restaurant. And from what I saw, families were well looked after too.

• Visited April 2013