“AMAZING....top 3 restaurants in Manchester'n”
Review of Australasia

Australasia
Ranked #42 of 2,356 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Asian, European, Australian, Fusion
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Modern Australian cuisine combines Pacific Rim flavours underpinned by European cooking tradition, a blend of Indonesian, Southeast Asian influences and Australia's strong ties with Japan also help determine the taste and style.
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Everything about Australasia is first class; from the decor to the service to the food!!

You'd think an underground restaurant with no natural light would be a bit oppressive..not when done correctly like this place..it creates a really great ambience whether its day or night!!

The bar is great whether purely for drinks on a Saturday night or pre dinner drinking. There are some great cocktails on offer and it is always buzzing!! Be sure to check out the dj's decks, very cool!!

The food is also amazing...my favourite is the black cod, seriously good!! The sushi is also fab!!

I go to a lot of good restaurants but this is one of my favourites, the food is great, the service is great and quite relaxed which is a nice change and the decor is just plain and simple 'cool'!!

1  Thank SapphireBee

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Eventually visited Australasia last night after wanting to go for ages. It was very busy, being 3 weeks before Christmas. Good, lively atmosphere, very hot and noisy, but that's ok. Waitress Agnes was lovely and very patient. Food was ok, nothing special, bit fussy and expensive. We enjoyed our meals but have eaten as good in our local Thai. Cheapest wine was £26 but was good. Definitely over hyped but worth a visit.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We went to Australasia for a late lunch...from start to finish the service was fantastic!

The waiter serving our table gave us a lot of information regarding different dishes on the menu..
He recommended the black cod and this was I have to say the best starter I have ever eaten,. My husband chose the belly pork, again fantastic flavours..

The main course I had the monkfish, again presentation and tastes second to none...my husband chose the lamb dish, he said it was fantastic!

I was too full for desserts, but my husband chose the white chocolate torte as recommended by our waiter, again it looked and tasted Devine..

We followed with coffees and even these were presented in a special way

I have read other reviews stating that this place is pretentious , but I disagree...this is a restaurant doing a very good job and I would definitely rate it the top of all Manchester restaurants..

Thank you to Simon the manager , who also made sure that our dining experience was perfect !

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I had dined at Australasia twice and on both occasions my table had spent a significant amount on dinner and drinks (bottles of wine, cocktails and Wagu steak). On both occasions the female waiting on staff were starched, frosty and unpleasant to the point of rudeness. I was made to feel very unwelcome by their attitude and it marred the very nice food and beautiful surroundings. I found it quite embarrassing and as such wrote a letter to the Management detailing my complaints with the service. The Management replied and apologised and promised that my next visit would be treated with more respect. True enough on my third visit to Australasia we were given two very friendly waiters (I find it very amusing that they couldnt find friendly female waiting staff to cover our table) and a free bottle of wine. The evening was near perfect until a side of asparagus was brought over by one of the female waiting staff who came to the table with a pinched face and practically slammed the plate onto the table before stalking off. What a shame they hadnt managed to keep her away as the experience was ruined for a third time by the same issue - unpleasant female waiting staff. Needless to say I havent bothered to write to the Management again, nor have I returned to Australasia. Manchester is known for being a friendly city - the attitude perpetuated at Australasia doesnt belong here.

1  Thank Ren K
Reviewed December 3, 2012

In a city bustling with good diners, Australasia is a terrific find. The menu specialises in mixing lots of small dishes. There is a real Asian/Pacific theme to the food which is all freshly prepared and cooked in the vast show kitchen at the far end of this subterranean restaurant.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Australasia to anyone and we'll certainly be going back before Christmas!