“Worth a visit, but "go local"! PS book in advance”
Review of Australasia

Australasia
Ranked #44 of 2,325 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Asian, European, Australian, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Modern Australian cuisine combines Pacific Rim flavours underpinned by European cooking tradition, a blend of Indonesian, Southeast Asian influences and Australia's strong ties with Japan also help determine the taste and style.
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Have eaten here a couple of times now and definitely worth a visit. The atmosphere is cool - feels more like a London restaurant vs a Manchester one. The service is solid. It is clear that all staff have been trained to a v high standard - they are polite, attentive, confident and knowledgeable about the food and wine. I have mixed feelings about the food I'm afraid. The menu is split into 2 - one half small, tapas size dishes (ideal for sharing) and the other half main dishes. I have thoroughly enjoyed the tapas side of the menu every time I have visited and have rated the recommendations made by servers :) Sadly, the mains have not been to the same standard. 3/5 in my view and not as good as sister restaurants e.g. Grill on the Alley. Desert is a fun affair and would recommend the mango souffle wholeheartedly.

There are newer reviews for Australasia

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I quite often divide my trip advisor reviews into lists of pros and cons as I think they make for easier reading... so here we go

Pros
I liked the was you could either fill your table with starters or go for a classic starter/main. We opted for the tapas style starters. Top dishes - beef skewers, crab tempura.
The table service was good, drinks topped up at the right frequency, meals bought out nicely spaced.
Open kitchen is good - what's not to like about watching food being plated and served?

Cons
On arrival for our booking (we were on time, not early), no table was available and we were asked to wait. There was nowhere to sit and wait and no room in the bar, so we had to just hang round near the desk for 10 minutes waiting for a table.
The bar is very noisy - Thank god our dining table was as far as possible away from the bar.
I was a bit worried initially that the service would be a bit overpowering (Maitre D "Your waitress will be over in a minute, you'll be looked after tonight by X", Waitress arrived "Hi, my name is X and I am going to be looking after you this evening"). However, it chilled out after that.
The wasabi pork salad was a definite let down - easily the worst dish of the night.

Dinner for 2 cost £100.

1  Thank calico_demon
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed an excellent Saturday lunch at Australasia. The room is spacious with high standard specifications and a pleasant peaceful atmosphere. The staff were fantastic in taking us through the menu, offering clear guidance on quantity of dishes to order and their content. The food was outstanding and we particularly enjoyed the soft shell crab, and beautifully cooked belly pork. The wine is comprehensive with a fine choice of white wine in particular. I would highly recommend for a working or leisurely lunch, as well as for an evening.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

My friend and I dined at Australasia when we spent a weekend in Manchester. We had booked well in advance for a saturday night as we understood it gets very busy and we weren't wrong.
The bar area was buzzing as soon as we arrived. We both indulged in delicious cocktails, I can highly recommend the Green Apple Martini!
We were given our table right on time. All the tables have something to offer - either close to the bar or in view of the very busy kitchen which was fascinating to watch. The tables aren't too squashed together which is something.
Our waitress was very good at explaining how much food we'd need to order for our appetites and certainly didn't encourage us to over order. 3 small plates between us for starters and then a main course each. The salmon nigiri sushi was delicious, absolutely melt in the mouth. And the beef teriyaki skewers were AMAZING. I could have eaten about ten more!
My main course of pork belly with pineapple curry was enormous, far too large for my appetite but delcious.
We were going to stick to the cocktails but were then swayed by a good bottle of Fleurie on the wine menu. Our waitress was very pleasant and attentive and took time to have a chat with us when she had time to talk about all things Manchester. We had a 9pm table so we were under no pressure to vacate the table but by 11.30pm we were full of cocktails, wine and great food and happy to head back to our hotel promising to return to Manchester just so we could go back to Australasia.
The bill was a pleasant surprise too and we both commented that the standard of food and service was equal to somewhere like Zuma or Nobu in London but at less of the price

Reviewed November 2, 2012

The mood and ambience created by the owners here is modern, elegant, and very relaxing. The dining room and bar have a great "depth of field", i.e. there is a lot to look at, but the place is not cluttered. Having a full glass wall separating the dining area from the kitchen is genius. You can see the kitchen brigade hard at work preparing your food. We tried the monkfish, black cod and lobster. All were beautifully cooked. The wine list is impressive too. But what really made the night were the staff. They were quite phenomenal, friendly, knowledgable and no request was too much to ask. Definitely want to go back. I heard they were just awarded 1 Michelin star?