“Very very good”
Review of Australasia

Australasia
Ranked #41 of 2,254 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, European, Asian, Australian, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Modern Australian cuisine combines Pacific Rim flavours underpinned by European cooking tradition, a blend of Indonesian, Southeast Asian influences and Australia's strong ties with Japan also help determine the taste and style.
“Very very good”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have been raving about this place since I returned from Manchester.
Not being a fish eater I was a little dubious about the menu but I nnedn't have worried - I had plenty of choice.
The decor of the restaurant is white and cream with a popular bar towards the front and the kitchen at the back - the kitchen has a glass wall so you can watch the chefs at work. We dined around 8pm on a Saturday night and the place was busy but not as you would notice, the waiting staff were very efficent but discrete. The service was also discrete and stiff in any respect - our server was dressed in a nice shirt, jeans and converse with a white apron and this relaxed (but not lazy) attitude permeates the whole establishment.
The menu is good and varies - I opted for the Vegetable Tempura and the Chicken stuffed with mushroom and truffle - both were excellent. My partner opted for the Duck and upon trying his dish I was instantly jealous that i had not ordered it - it was simply superb.
The dessert was worth the 20 miute wait as the Chocolate Souffle was perfect - beneath a hard crust was a sticky, gooey choclate mess that was heaven.
The wine list is on an Ipad - I like this idea in principle and would only suggest that there could be a 'top ten' selling wines to guide a less discerning palate.
There are a lot of nice, clever touches about Australasia, such as the first page of the menu being upside down and a small 'art installation' featuring a bowl of water, two goldfish and a kitchen knife entitled ''Committing Sushi'.
Would I return when I am again in Manchester? You betcha!

• Visited October 2012

• Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Interesting and different”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Great atmosphere and unusual approach to service - very friendly and chatty but bordering on familiar. Food was okay but not enough if you're hungry! Very expensive and therefore not good value.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Frank G
“Fantastic people-watching”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I was in Manchester for the weekend and wanted to take my mum somewhere interesting for dinner. First and foremost, I wanted some fantastic people watching - a place where we could observe the great and the good of the WAG scene in action. I also hoped for good food and a great cocktail. Australasia almost delivered on all three. The place itself is fantastic - very flash but the right side of tasteful. The same could not always be said for the clientele. The outfits, tans and false eyelashes were out in full force and were starting to get lairy by the time we left at 11pm. The food was very nice. We had a good range of the sushi and sharing dishes and most were nice. The souffles were delicious. The cocktails were a real let down - surprising for a place like this. But all in all - it was great fun. I'd definitely go back if I found myself in Manchester again.

London, United Kingdom
“One of the best restaurants ever! A fantastic experience.”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

From the moment you arrive and descend the stairs, (this restaurant and bar are underground), the atmosphere of the place grabs you. The cocktail bar at the front was jumping and at 8 pm they were turning people away so I would suggest you book!
The friendliness of the staff was incredible, this is a restaurant that could rest on its laurels a bit, but Tom who served us was extremely knowlegdable about both the menu and the wine list, including recommending some very good wines. The only comment is the champagne list is a bit light, but there are a good number of very fine Australian wineson offer, it was just that this was my girlfiend's birthday, hence the champagne.
The food is available two ways, a starter and main course or sharing plates in the middle of the table. We went for a mixture of both and shared starters. As each dish was delivered it was explained to us, and tips were given as to how best enjoy the food. Although the restaurant was full we all felt that we received the right amount of service from Tom, and at no point were any of us looking for a waiter.
The main courses were sublime, I had the steak and it was just delicious. But the highlight of the evening were the desserts, would recommend the souffles they were worth the wait. They also took the time to inscribe happy birthday on my partners plate, and knew who to deliver it to, those touches put this restaurant above many others.
Oh, and also, try one of the cocktails, especially one that has "smoky" in the title, the whole theatre of how these are presented is amazing.
My only gripe, and it is a small one but hopefully the restaurant will read this, being an "English Knight" I would expect that ladies would be served first, this did not happen and was actually quite noticable.
Overall a fantastic experience, and we will return to Manchester just so we can return here.

• Visited October 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Shame about the main course”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have visited Australasia on a couple of previous occasions but I was really disappointed with my last visit. We took my parents for a special occasion and the starter of tempura was up to the usual standard which you could not fault along with the excellent service. However two of the party ordered sirloin steak and as we were a late sitting it did take a while to arrive but when it did the steak which had been ordered to be cooked medium was almost burnt and was quite clearly rump steak. When we told the waiter he seemed uninterested and we were asked if we wanted a desert which we did and it was lovely however the meal was spoiled by the main course. I would recommend anybody requiring the best steak in town to go to Gaucho which is where we will be heading next time. Which is a shame as the bar service and cocktails was excellent.

• Visited September 2012