“Beautiful stained glass”
Review of St. Ann's Church

St. Ann's Church
Ranked #46 of 188 things to do in Manchester
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Popped in to this church whilst on a brief visit to Manchester. Loved the stained glass and the architecture in general. Not the oldest church on the block as only just over 300 years old but worth a visit if you in the area. Agree it seemed to have a special atmosphere and am sure it is a wonderful venue for concerts.

There are newer reviews for St. Ann's Church

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have been to the service and for my second time I loved it - the people are so friendly and open - it will not be my last time.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Every now and then, I pop into St Ann's, and have been doing for over 20 years now. It always has a certain special atmosphere - I can't put my finger on it or describe what it is; it's a peaceful place and yet you still know you're in the city. It's also different architecturally to most Anglican churches, probably as it was built in the Georgian period (I think) rather than Victorian or medieval in origin as so many other churches here are.

For many years, St Ann's has done piano recitals by RNCM students for no more than the price of a collection. That's a really great way to experience the church, and the acoustics are amazing, clear as a bell. Definitely worth checking out the website and seeing when they are on, if you like piano music. ( www.stannsmanchester.com )

I can't really speak for how friendly or otherwise the congregation are, as I've never particularly gone in there to chat. For me it's a quiet place of reflection and a sanctuary away from the madding crowds. The vicar could admittedly be a little less grumpy - I don't think I've ever seen him smile! But don't let that put you off visiting the church. It's definitely one of Manchester's most special places.

2  Thank sfuhere
Reviewed January 12, 2013

old church in st annes square currently covered up due to building work. Went to services there, very unwelcoming and almost hostile people. If you are visiting the city and looking for a church service this might not be a good option.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is an amazing old church with many ornate features, well worth a visit at Christmas time to hear the choir sing. I am not religious in any way but its well worth a visit.