“Homely and reliable”

The Castlefield Hotel
Ranked #62 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I always stay at the Castlefield when I go to Manchester. It's not the most palatial hotel, but for location it can't be beaten. Close enough to the city centre to make everything easily accessible but not so close that it's troubled by crowds or excessive traffic or too much noise. The rooms are being gradually refurbished so they are fresh looking with modern linens and decor.
One of the best things about it however, is the superb fitness provision. Staying there means you can use the pool - big enough for a decent swim and varying depths, never too busy; their extensive gym, with trained staff to help if you need it, the squash courts and running track are also well appointed. There are classes nearly every day which guests are welcome to join - and the others there are very welcoming and encouraging. I've even been to join their badminton club a couple of times, and even though I'm a complete stranger to them, they were happy to lend me a racquet and include me in the games.
It's owned by the YMCA (don't worry there's no singing Indian, policemen, construction workers etc!) so there's also a chaplaincy and offer of more spiritual support if you feel the need while you stay.
I recommend the Castlefield for short or longer stays but don't all rush there as I need to be able to book a room when I need to stay!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlook the canal basin where sometimes skateboarders gather in the evenings but...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Julia W,
Thank you for your comprehensive comments.
Delighted that you make full use of the excellent leisure facilities and the classes, which are open to all.
As you say, the Hotel is owned by Manchester YMCA but operates as 2 seperate businesses with the original Manchester YMCA re-locating here some 22 years ago and deciding to build a hotel above the excellent facilities.
We do have a continuous refurbishment programme ongoing and improvements are made continually to ensure the hotel remains up to standard and competitive.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Hotel location and service was good. A short walk to great eating places by the canal.

The room was clean however the overall rating is let down as the rooms are badly in need of refurbishment. Of three opening windows only one would open. One window had the handle broken off the other was warped letting in a draft and the catch very temperamental.

In the bathroom no towel rail for hand towels, cold tap partly seized so only a trickle of water, veneered surfaces water damaged.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian B

Brian B, apologies for the problems experienced in the room.all are easily solved and , if you had let us know about the tap, we could have repaired it at the time.Puzzled re. no hand towel rail.
Thank you for commenting- matters will be resolved

Reviewed May 31, 2013

May Bank Holiday! Magic Weekend for Rugby League fans everywhere (Held at Manchester City Stadium).
I went with friends and stayed over Friday, Saturday and Sunday night (£40 a night). We had a group of roughly 8 people (Some only stayed Friday/Saturday etc). Not one complaint from any of us!
We arrived to the hotel, where we were greeted by friendly staff, who checked us in. We went to our rooms and I must say, It was clean, tidy and had a decent view! No problems whatsoever.
We made good use of the bar!! All the bar staff were friendly and had a good laugh too (Some hotels can be so serious sometimes!!).
In the morning, we used the Gym, Pool, Sauna and Steam room. All of which I would definitely recommend! All clean and easy to use. My personal opinion, the Pool could do with a new lick of paint! However, it isn't a deal breaker!
After this, We would go to breakfast. Very good selection!! Tasted very nice too! Not one empty/unhappy stomach in site!!!! I speak on behalf of a group to say that breakfast was very enjoyable!
I would recommend this Hotel to anyone. We will be going back to the same place, same time next year.
Thanks for the great stay Castlefield! See you next year!

Room Tip: We all had rooms on the second floor. No complaints from anyone!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Aaron B,
Thanks for commenting and delighted you & your friends had a 'Magic Weekend' at the Castlefield and found the team friendly, the atmosphere informal and the service, food & drinks good.
We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed here as part of a Hen Party for 1 night. The service is excellent. Staff are friendly and very helpful. They sorted taxis for us, gave easy directions for places we asked and even sent a pair of jeans I'd forgotten back by post to me.
The breakfast items were fresh, hot and plenty to choose from.
The location is great for any Manchester centre destination. Dukes 92 is 2 mins walk away and the Printworks a 5 min taxi or use of the free Metro shuttle from outside of the hotel.
I would recommend this hotel to any type of traveller.

• Stayed: May 2013
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

DKerr 33,

Thank you for your generous comments. Glad you enjoyed breakfast, the location and found the team friendly & helpful. Your comments provide excellent feedback & motivation for us.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed for my hen weekend is a group of friends. Easy check in, friendly staff and a clean, comfortable and spacious room. We didn't have to use the other facilities but breakfast the follow day was lovely and a nice choice.

The hotel is right near the canal and there are some lovely bars about 1 minute walk away. The hotel booked our taxis for us and it cost around £8 to get into town.

One of our group left some clothing in the wardrobe and when she emailed the hotel they offered to post them back for free! What a great service! We are already thinking about booking our next stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

LJF 84,
Many thanks for commenting and delighted you had a good weekend and are looking to come back.
Not sure where you went in Manchester but £8 must have taken you a fair way as we are only 400 metres from Manchester's main thoroughfare and then 5 minutes to the bars around Albert Square.
Glad the team were helpful and sorted out your belongings left behind.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I read 3 reviews previously listed.

I chose the hotel because at meal times I did not want to bump into others working on the same task as me in central Manchester, becausec I could park my car and finally have a dip in its leisure centre's good size pool.

The room was clean (they always are, aren't they), and at request I was allocated a room on the 'canal ' side which was quiet. The wi fi was free. The staff were informally courteous- if a guest is polite hotel staff reciprocate. Breakfast was fine. On the two occasions I ate the evening meal it was simple, but reasonable value. Car parking was fine with no queue. I I dont watch much TV man it was easy to find radio channels in my room.

As to transport, a bus to the city centre passes the door, but I walked along the canal each day bringing me to Oxford Road where I was working. Canals take straight routes....

If you want 4-5 star formality go elsewhere; if you want straightforward service- give it a try.

Room Tip: My room on canal side was quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

JPCSedate,
Glad you found the hotel VFM with a decent location, on site car parking, freec wifi and a good pool with value for money food.

"If you want 4-5 star formality go elsewhere; if you want straightforward service- give it a try"

Your final sentence says it all really . Thank you

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Very comfortable 2 night stay. Conveniently located 5 minute walk from Deansgate and Metro link. Good leisure facilities. Would def stay there again. Receptionists always had a smile and nothing too much trouble. Only fault I could make was that the paint was coming off the window sill however this did not detract from a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: The reason for 3 for room was that paint was badly coming off the window sill.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Gill Y , Thank you for your comments and delighted you found the loocation convenient and the reception staff friendly & helpful.