“Excellent Service, Perfect Stay”

The Castlefield Hotel
Ranked #62 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed here as part of a Hen Party for 1 night. The service is excellent. Staff are friendly and very helpful. They sorted taxis for us, gave easy directions for places we asked and even sent a pair of jeans I'd forgotten back by post to me.
The breakfast items were fresh, hot and plenty to choose from.
The location is great for any Manchester centre destination. Dukes 92 is 2 mins walk away and the Printworks a 5 min taxi or use of the free Metro shuttle from outside of the hotel.
I would recommend this hotel to any type of traveller.

• Stayed: May 2013
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

DKerr 33,

Thank you for your generous comments. Glad you enjoyed breakfast, the location and found the team friendly & helpful. Your comments provide excellent feedback & motivation for us.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed for my hen weekend is a group of friends. Easy check in, friendly staff and a clean, comfortable and spacious room. We didn't have to use the other facilities but breakfast the follow day was lovely and a nice choice.

The hotel is right near the canal and there are some lovely bars about 1 minute walk away. The hotel booked our taxis for us and it cost around £8 to get into town.

One of our group left some clothing in the wardrobe and when she emailed the hotel they offered to post them back for free! What a great service! We are already thinking about booking our next stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

LJF 84,
Many thanks for commenting and delighted you had a good weekend and are looking to come back.
Not sure where you went in Manchester but £8 must have taken you a fair way as we are only 400 metres from Manchester's main thoroughfare and then 5 minutes to the bars around Albert Square.
Glad the team were helpful and sorted out your belongings left behind.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I read 3 reviews previously listed.

I chose the hotel because at meal times I did not want to bump into others working on the same task as me in central Manchester, becausec I could park my car and finally have a dip in its leisure centre's good size pool.

The room was clean (they always are, aren't they), and at request I was allocated a room on the 'canal ' side which was quiet. The wi fi was free. The staff were informally courteous- if a guest is polite hotel staff reciprocate. Breakfast was fine. On the two occasions I ate the evening meal it was simple, but reasonable value. Car parking was fine with no queue. I I dont watch much TV man it was easy to find radio channels in my room.

As to transport, a bus to the city centre passes the door, but I walked along the canal each day bringing me to Oxford Road where I was working. Canals take straight routes....

If you want 4-5 star formality go elsewhere; if you want straightforward service- give it a try.

Room Tip: My room on canal side was quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

JPCSedate,
Glad you found the hotel VFM with a decent location, on site car parking, freec wifi and a good pool with value for money food.

"If you want 4-5 star formality go elsewhere; if you want straightforward service- give it a try"

Your final sentence says it all really . Thank you

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Very comfortable 2 night stay. Conveniently located 5 minute walk from Deansgate and Metro link. Good leisure facilities. Would def stay there again. Receptionists always had a smile and nothing too much trouble. Only fault I could make was that the paint was coming off the window sill however this did not detract from a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: The reason for 3 for room was that paint was badly coming off the window sill.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Gill Y , Thank you for your comments and delighted you found the loocation convenient and the reception staff friendly & helpful.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

When I arrived the Receptionist/Barman ''greeted'' me. His breath stank of booze and his attitude was to demand I provide identification. The room was nice, bright and clean. Most of the TV channels didn't work though.The breakfast was cold and looked like it had been sitting on the carvery for a long time. Overall if they taught their staff to smile and greet the guest warmly and leave the Barman in the Bar (or even someone else's Bar) it might be ok.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LennyL542

Lenny,
Yor comments regaarding the member of staff are extremely disappointing. If youi care to get in touch to provide more details you may rest assured that action will be talen.
You will appreciate from many reviews thaat the friendliness & attitude of staff is well regarded and that this is an exceptional event hence my desire to learn more.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

The stay didn't start well when after a long drive and a full day at work I had to queue for 15 mins due to the car park being used by people using the gym. Not great when I am paying ten pound for the privilege! Hotel response was you could pay to put it on the road until it gets quiet. Rooms are pretty tired and the tv reception was intermittent. The gym was pretty good however. Breakfast was disappointing with poor hot food. Will be trying somewhere different next time.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank TeamDave

TeamDave,
Many thanks for commenting and sorry you had to queue for the car park. This happens on occassionally due to the size of the car park v the demand for it at certain times. Car parks within walking distance cost upwards of £16.00 overnight and, as I am sure you will have experienced, there can be a queue for these at high demand periods.
Sorry to hear you will be trying somewhere else next time but you are always welcome and we would be delighted for you to return in order that we can ensure all services & facilities are to your entire satisfaction

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I chose this hotel because four of us were going to see the Rocky Horror Show at the Opera House and, given the cold weather and the scanty costumes two of us (the blokes!) were wearing, it was ideally located a five minute walk away from the venue. Secure on-site parking and the option to cancel up to the day of arrival were also considerations, the latter being even more important given the snow chaos the previous weekend. The hotel is located on the canal-side and is right across the road from the Museum of Science and Industry, with Deansgate just along the road and the Arndale Centre about a ten minute walk away. The rooms are pretty basic and could do with redecoration but are a decent size, clean and comfortable. My only real issue was the shower which took me a while to work out because the writing on the fitting had disappeared. I initially assumed that you had to divert water from the bath taps to the shower with the central knob but ended up with a red-hot shower and a bath that was rapidly filling up with cold water. My brother-in-law had the same problem in his room but we managed to figure it out eventually. We ate in the bar area before going to the show and found the food pretty decent although we chose it for convenience and ate elsewhere the rest of the weekend. We hadn't bought breakfast in the room rate and were very pleasantly surprised at the quality and variety provided, buffet-style, for just under £8. The only let-down was the weak and watery coffee that was so insipid that I couldn't drink it. Having said that, I'm a bit of a coffee snob and most hotel breakfast coffee just doesn't do it for me. The bar prices are reasonable for a city centre hotel and it's a nice enough place to sit and while away time in between trips to the shops and other attractions. There's a big window onto the sports hall attached to the hotel and another bank of windows overlooking the canal that are ideal for people-watching and the atmosphere is very laid-back. To summarise, an excellent hotel if you intend to spend most of your time out and about and just need a comfy place to rest your head but probably not somewhere I'd book for a 'special' trip away.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

HelenJ,
many thanks for you extensive feedback. As you rightly stae, we are ideaaly placed for a trip to Manchester within striking distance of the many attractions. Will get maintenance onto the shower problem.