“Good Location”

The Castlefield Hotel
Ranked #62 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed here for a night while over to watch a man utd match. The hotel is in a very good location with deansgate tram nearby. The hotel was clean. Rooms were comfy. But they were far too warm. There was a pipe running through the room from one room to the next that the radiator was conected to. It was constantly scalding hot. The radiator was irrevelent being turned off. To try combat this we had to keep window open all night and the noise of lorries and trains passing had us wakened early. Breakfast was your typical buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Tully86.

Thanks for commenting and apologies about the heating.It seems the recent spell of good weather has caught us out!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Castlefield Hotel as it was close to Potato Whatf where we were joining a barge to travel on the canal for a party. The hotel is in a great location in terms of proximity to the nightlife of Potato Wharf, the Museum of Science and Industry and the shops on Deansgate and was the most reasonable price for a short one night stay. However, we booked a superior room and I am not quite sure what was superior about it. The room was clean enough, but just a bit frayed around the edges. Curtains that didn't fit the windows, old fashioned decor and a bath panel that was in dire need of replacement. It felt like a cheap hotel that big groups of lads would book for a boozy night out. Breakfast wasn't very nice either, and the restaurant was full of footballing kids as it is right next door to the sports facilities. I won't be staying again, however, if you wanted to be near to Castlefield it is the closest hotel. Staff were very helpful and polite,

Room Tip: Not sure I can give one!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sally N
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Sally N,
Thanks for commenting & delighted you found the teampolite, helpful & friendly and the room clean.
The 'footballing kids' were the children of guests staying to attend a match organised at Old Trafford by a football team known locally as Manchester United.
The 'sports facilities' are the hotel's extensive leisure facilities which include an 18 metre pool, gymnasia, sauna,weights room, treatment rooms, fives courts, sports hall, dance studio & indoor running track- known as the Y Club, the onsite leisure facilities of the hotel and free of charge to hotel guests.

Apologies about the bath panel- it has been replaced.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was a regular visitor for two years for work. This is a very easy place to stay. It is located near the Museum of Science and Industry and Deansgate. The staff are friendly and the place has a welcoming informality. You can eat hearty meals there, and ther are great restaurants in the area. The rooms are surprisingly spacious for a budget hotel and pleasantly decorated. My work has changed and so I don't go to Manchester any more and it is a tribute to the hotel that I feel sad about that! A home from home, at very reasonable prices, and it is very central.
Hamish

• Stayed: March 2013
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Hamish,

Many thanks for your kind comments and sorry to hear that your working life changes mean that you will not be needin g our services. The fact that you found the hotel a 'home from home' whilst working says a lot and your review encapsulates what we try to be.Many thanks & good luck in the future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Great location surrounded by Canal and Science Museum and walking distance to Deansgate and a variety of restaurants, Cinemas and shops. Rooms are modern, spacious all en-suite. Good food available and a great spots bar. Access to their swimming pool, steam room and sauna. Fabulous Gym and sports hall with indoor running track. very efficient and friendly staff. Secure Parking available to book. Lift and stairs to rooms. They also have conference rooms.

Room Tip: Book well in advance as it's very popular.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Sandy,
Many thanks for commenting on the hotel so positively . We are delighted that you enjoyed the location & surroundings, the secure parking, the leisure fascilities, food and rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed five nights with four friends. In the agenda there was football, restaurants and clubbing. Chose this hotel because of location and affordable prizes. Spa in the hotel helped as well, as I want to start the day with a swim during trips, if possible.
The hotel is a bit dated and the noise from Liverpool Rd did disturb - the windows are not very thick. Also a lot of draft through the windows. Those were the negatives.
The personnel was superb. Always very helpful with a smile. I asked for a help in many matters and they never let me down. That deserves a special recognition.
Spa was great with a pool and a steam room and sauna. Went there every morning.
Had breakfast two times. It was ok, but considering what else one can get for 8£ in Manchester, it seemed a bit expensive.
Over all, Castlefield was a good choice for us and I think I will go again, as being a football fan makes me visit the town again next year. But that time I want a room not facing the street...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Mikka, Thanks for commenting and we are delighted that you found the team friendly and helpful and enjoyed the excellent on site leisure facilities which are available for all hotel guests.

We look forward to you and your friends returning on your next visit.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed here whilst attending a business conference nearby. Here are the main points:

Pros - very friendly and attentive staff. I forgot my phone charger and they found me one which is an excellent example of the reception team. Basic but perfectly formed rooms. I did not pay for the room but believe it was fairly cheap. Comfortable bed. Across the road from Corrie! Several restaurant and a chip shop up the road. Not too fair from centre. Breakfast was buffet style. It had the usual items of full English, toast, cereals. Overall very impressed with the breakfast.

Cons - the furniture/bathroom are dated but this did not affect my stay. The street was quiet and I don't think I would be comfortable walking around this area on my own at night. The walls must be paper thin. I have stayed in lots of hotel where people had mentioned this but have never had a problem. As soon as I walked into the room I was surprised by the level of noise from traffic (imagine living on a main road and having windows open in the summer). I was woken several times during the night with this noise and I am usually a heavy sleeper. The good news is the road outside isn't that busy so it again did not have a huge affect on my stay.

Overall for the price of £60/£70 per night the room was perfect for what I needed and I would not hesitate in recommending it to others.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Rachel. Thanks for posting your feedback relating to your recent stay.We are very happy that you enjoyed the location, breakfast and comfortable bed.
Liverpool Road- the road outside is quiet and, in my time associated with the hotel, some 6 years, I have not been aware of any untoward incidents in the area. in fact, just 400 metres from dDeansgate the situation is an oasis of calm adjacent to the many attractions of Manchester.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed in this Hotel for one night...that was enough
The difficulty started on arrival ...ooh yes we found the car park OK but the walk with suitcases out of locked gate along the canal walk to the Sports Centre then we had to wait for someone to use a key to get into lift to go to Reception phew I was exhausted by then!!Things improved with pleasant girl at Reception and an easy lift to room
Bedroom fine ,clean tidy ...but no toiletries only a tiddlywinks bar of soap ..nothing else for £102 a night...not good!!
Shower..dangerous could not get warm so had to scramble about in two inches of boiling hot water then a deluge of cold ...hair did NOT like this
Good sleep and good breakfast
Reception excellent as we paid...my jaw dropped when I learnt it cost us £10 to park overnight
WE WIILL NOT RETURN SORRY

Room Tip: Check shower
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MorningEdinburghuk
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Morning Edinburgh,
You make it sound like the car park is in some remote spot well away from the hotel when, in fact, it is directly adjacent to the building. Access is through a ticket operated (not locked) automatic gate and the ticket is dispensed to you on arrival at the car park entrance. The walk along the canal is some 75metres- about the distance from a car park space to to the entrance of a hotel on an average hotel car park.The charge of £10.00 for a 24 car park is much less than many hotels and public car parksin a major city.
Glad you found the bedroom fine, clean & tidy. Sorry you had difficulties with the shower control - it has been checked and seems to be working perfectly.Delighted you had a good night's sleep, good breakfast and that reception was excellent.Sorry to hear you will not be returning- and thanks for pointing this out in capitals- so unnecessary.