“awful hotel, don't go there”
Review of Mitre Hotel

Mitre Hotel
Ranked #93 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Hi
Last weekend I stayed at the Mitre Hotel in Manchester, near the Arndale centre and Manchester cathedral. I stayed in room 28 and booked the stay through laterooms.com.
I paid £45 per night.
The room was small and scruffy,
the curtains (especially the net curtains) looked grey with filth.
The bedroom carpet was stained,
the bathroom had severe staining of the lino all round the toilet area,
there was no room for the kettle on the tiny tea/coffee making shelf so had to be boiled sitting on the carpetted floor
The grouting round the bath looked grubby
The convector heater in the bedroom only had 1 leg so would have been partly sitting on the carpet if it had been turned on (the room was cold)
The mattress was saggy and uncomfortable
The room was on the top (2nd) floor and the top set of stairs had a missing banister rail and seriously wobbly handrail
The dining room when I went to sit at a table had a table cloth with what looked like the previous day's food spillages on it.
The hotel is 3 star rated outside its entrance but I was utterly disgusted with the whole experience of staying there.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank dulsiebridge

Reviewed May 1, 2010

The location of this hotel is brilliant. We went to watch a show at the MEN Arena which is only around the corner, a 5 minute walk. They are currently refurbishing the hotel, and boy, does it need it! Our room was located on the top floor and was very dated but the bed was really comfortable. The corridors on the way up our room slope so much, I felt like I had had a couple of glasses of wine! The staff were really friendly though and the breakfast was ok.
This hotel served a purpose for us, all we wanted was somewhere cheap for one night close to the MEN arena, and this was what we got!
Definately not the place to go if you want luxury or romance!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2010

I'm not going to waste too much time on this review as this hotel was rubbish!! The only fantastic thing about this hotel is it's location. We were right in the centre of Manchester, next to Selfridges, Harvey Nichols & The Print Works. Even tho the rooms were clean they were very very shabby!! We returned to the hotel later in the afternoon to get showered for our night out in Manchester to where some of our rooms had no electricity & no hot water. Even tho the staff were very helpful & sorted the problems out fairly quickly I ended up drying my hair in the corridor as the room I was staying in did have hot water & electricity but our plug sockets did not work!!!! Our room was very cold as the main window in the room did not shut properly!! Breakfast was terrible, it was an all you can eat buffet, but the bacon was drippin in grease, beans were cold, scrambled eggs were horrible. The only thing I convinced myself to eat was toast! All I can say is 'pay that little bit extra as this hotel spoilt my weekend' !!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2010

We stayed here for one night and had read the reviews so had mixed feelings. The hotel is in a great location: you are one minute away from Printworks cinema and restaurants. It was quiet the night we stayed but this was midweek. The hotel is surrouded by pubs and bars which could get rowdy at the weekend. Our family room turned out to be two connecting rooms (no door) which is great when travelling with two teenagers. The staff were very friendly. However, the hotel itself does seem to be on a par with independent youth hostels - a bit run down and a bit wonky! The rooms were a bit grotty but the bedding was indisputedly clean. In fairness the hotel is in the middle of refurbishment. The breakfast was of a good standard (same as you would expect in other budget hotel chains). We got this room on a deal but if I had to pay more than £20 per person for bed and breakfast I would probably feel ripped off.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Hotel was in course of refurbishment by new owner when we stayed with a group of 18 professionals on a stag weekend. Reception staff very helpful and friendly. Rooms clean and adequate. Location superb. Worried about two pubs alongside, but they were well supervised, and closed at normal pub closing time so no early hours noise. 50 yards from Deansgate, with great shopping, Kendal Milnes etc. and awash with good pubs and restaurants. Try Bem Brasil opposite Kendals - great eat all you can -stop when you want with best cuts of beef, pork, lamb, chicken, sausage. Don't eat before you go there!!

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed April 5, 2010

The only good things about this hotel is the location and the staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2010

me and my sister in law booked 4 rooms in this hotel for new years eve, mainly for the location. we was put off by the reviews ,but there was no other hotels available, when we arrived we was suprised to see the hotel was nothing like expected it was clean, the staff where very helpul and polite. and the location couldnt be beat. for what we paid is was great and i would stay here again

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family