“Great central location”
Review of Mitre Hotel

Mitre Hotel
Ranked #92 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

3 of us girls stayed here for 1 night we did not know what to expect because of how cheap it was. The central location was amazing everything you could want within a 5 miniute walk. Check in was easy and quick ,staff very friendly. We a had a triple room ,their was 3 good size comfortable beds, a small shower room everything was lovely and clean. Will definitely be staying here again if coming back to Manchester

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank nmarie1976

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Stayed one night. OK it is not Grand but it is cheap. Located right by the Cathedral and the Wellington, the oldest pub in Manchester in a pedestrianised area so no noisy traffic. The staff are friendly, the breakfast was good and the room was as good as can be expected at the price I paid. Good value and clean. The bar is nothing much and I did not go there and the food in the bar did not look exciting but there are plenty others bars and eateries in the city.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Cathedral or the Wellington.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We arrived at the mitre hotel after booking on line it had a central location which was fantastic or so we thought! We were told late rooms had cancelled our room and they would put us up in another hotel the crown and anchor to say the hotel was disgraceful was an understatement holes in the carpet no toilet (the one that was there had a whole in the roof where workmen could be heard working!) the shower was mouldy the walls had stains on them the bedding was ripped a total disgrace then on the night we were not able to get into the hotel as the keys didn't open the outside door luckierly a young gentleman was also trying to get in and his keys worked sadly this gentleman had also been fobbed off from the mitre too due to a cancelled booking?! I would not recommend anyone to stay at either the mitre or the crown and anchor

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Jembo46
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

One first impressions, this hotel has character, a great location very near shops, clubs and public transport.

The reception area is upstairs and very camp, but very attractive.
The staff were no end of friendly and helpful.

Wifi in the hotel bar but a bad signal in the rooms and the rooms themselves have seen better days. Wilting wallpaper, not great electrics that aren't attached to the wall and a missing slat in the blinds in the bath room so anyone opposite can see you shower. I had two beds and one was definitely more comfortable than the other. But the room was clean and the bed made up nicely. Plenty of space and a good selection of TV channels. A warm room too.

Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I decided to run up to Manchester during my visit to the UK and needed a cheap hotel. Found a deal for the Mitre and loved that his was an old building (built in 1815), it was the right price, so I jumped at it, but...
Tip #1: If you want an ensuite bathroom, make SURE you reserve a room with one, as there are rooms without.
My GPS got me to the hotel without issue, however, it just lead me to a dead end street used for loading/unloading only. I went into the bar area and had to meander through to eventually find the reception area, on the 2nd floor. The entrance to the hotel itself is NOT super well marked from the side most folks would come in on. When I got to the reception, they didn't give me the keys or anything right away I was told to bring my bags up and then they'd tell me where to park.
Tip #2: Parking is about a 10 minute walk away! Unload at the little dead end, because huffing luggage to/from the park lot (which is open air) would not be fun... especially on a rainy day, like I had.
I had to leave my bags at the desk while I tried to find the suggested parking lot and when I returned I was finally given the key to my room.. which was on the 3rd floor.
Tip #3: Be prepared to haul luggage up narrow, sloping stairs.
I had a room on the 3rd floor and was a bit irked that no one had offered to help with my bags as there was no lift in sight. When I finally got to my room, I was a little shocked by how sparse it was, but it was cheap. Again, I was happy that I made sure I had an ensure bathroom, though.. more than just a shaving mirror would have been nice. Mirrors aren't super spendy things.
Tip #4: Don't expect to get WIFI in your room.. only in the public spaces
The bed was rock hard and it was noisy outside, though I was tired enough that it didn't bother me in the night.
Tip #5: Sure, they have room service.. but no phone in the room. So if you're an international traveler (as I was) you would have had to have called on your own phone, ringing up global roaming charges... what's with that?
The hotel is centrally located, which is good. I didn't have an issue finding several places to eat that were just a couple of blocks away. But, if you want to leave the hotel, you have to leave the key at the desk? At least the woman at reception was nice enough to lend me her umbrella as I had to do the 10 minute walk to my car, in the rain, in the morning when I checked out.
The Mitre was a place to lay my head while I was in Manchester. If I ever get up there again... I would choose some place else to stay.

Room Tip: There are pictures of pretty rooms on the web page.. I would try to get one of those, if you're...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Room Tip: Room was stunning though a little rough round the edges when looked at closely.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank Nicki P
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I booked this hotel for a Monday night (24th March 2014) as I had to work in Manchester for 2 days and it saved travel to Leeds each day.
I had excellent correspondence from the hotel prior to stay such as reminder emails etc.
I checked in around 5.30pm and walked thought the bar. I had to asked the bar an how to find receptions as it didn't appear to be there. The reception is on the first floor, so I went up there and checked in.
When asked about breakfast i enquirer if there was continental and was told both continental and full English were both 4.99 which I thought was pricey for continental.
I got the keys to the room and went to find it up another flight of stairs. The floors and stairs in the hotel all creak incredibly loud so I would have expected to hear everyone coming in and out through the night.
I found the room and was immediately disappointed. There was a large leak in the shower en-suite which I'd actually requested a bath en-suite anyway. The window was head high and looked out a a roof, being in the attic of the hotel. The window pane was single glazed and also had a large crack down the middle. It wasn't looking good so I went back to the reception and told the chap about the leak. He came back up with me and laid 2 towels over the leak and said a plumber was needed but that would stop me slipping. He said there were no other rooms free to change to.
He went and I took 5 minutes to think, deciding I would not stay here. I was told that not single rooms had bath en-suites yet this is advertised on the website. There were no baths in the communal facilities either. There are also cracks etc in various glass doors as you go around.
I do not know if the water leak is sewage, clean or waste sink water but either way I didn't want to walk on soggy towels, nor trip on them at any stage.
I went back to reception and advised the room was not fit for purpose and that I would be leaving. I was told the receptionist didn't have the authorisation to give a refund and I'd have to call the next day and speak to Gary.
I called a few times the next morning and emailed but no response. A further call was answered and I spoke to Gary who immediately was understanding, agreeable and auctioned my refund which I now have.
I wouldn't recommend this except for a stag do or something as the bar was probably handy downstairs.
Also, from the point of view of a lone female that evening, I'm surprised the occupant details are left on reception whilst unattended. This means anyone walking into the hotel can go and view who is in what room and see the name which is appalling confidentiality and a risk to safety.
What a shame this hotel inside did not match the exterior as it is ideally located right in the centre and just minutes walk from Victoria train station.

Room Tip: None of the singles.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business