“Cheap & Cheerful”
Review of Monroes Hotel

Monroes Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manchester
Monroes Hotel
Ranked #77 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I would like to call this place cheap and cheerful which I suppose it is and I feel I got value for my money compared to other hotels in the area. The hotel seems to be owned by a couple; one working in the bar, the other working in the hotel. The hotel is directly opposite Piccadilly train station and 2 min walk from the city centres shopping and restaurants.

On arrival we checked in at the bar and was given a nice friendly welcome by the member of staff.

We were then met by another member of staff who showed us to our room. The room was very basic with two single beds, a sink and television that had a very bad signal. The bathroom was just around the corner from our room which we didn't have a problem with as this was explained several times when we booked. The bathroom was clean, tidy and spacious with continuous hot water but the water pressure was shockingly weak which was a shame.

Whilst getting ready for an evening meal I needed to iron my clothes. I borrowed an iron from the hotel free of change and it came with a broken ironing board. It was fun attempting to iron at 45 degrees, something I have never done before.

The only main negative I have about the hotel is the signage... There are signs everywhere 'do not do this', 'do not do that', 'don't forget to' etc. Many of the signage contained spelling mistakes which is a pet hate of mine when aimed at customers.

I would stay here in the future but wouldn't pay anymore than what we paid as I felt it was only worth this. I wouldn't recommend the hotel to anyone wanting a city break in Manchester but would defiantly recommend it to anyone who is wanting a cheap warm place to stay when out drinking with friends or in need of a last min bed for the night.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Matt C

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Great place especially on a Wednesday or a Friday,great atmosphere ,music and Dancing.Stayed here with friends ,clean tidy ,nothing to much trouble.Good and handy for both City centre and Piccadilly Station.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank stuartcocker
Reviewed October 13, 2013

went there with a friend - had room number 4 - a twin room
bad points: it is a bit dated, the sink was dirty, the pillows were too hard for my taste, i could feel the springs in the bed and the trams and sirens were loud and the telly was knackered (but written apology on the wall)
but the plus points outweighed the bad, great location, near train station and gay village, overall the room was very clean, as was bathroom, dining room and kitchen, with clean bedding and 3 clean towels each, bar of soap each, enough tea bags milk and sugar for a week, the hoteliers were lovely, as was the breakfast
cant beat that for £20 each!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dawnjh
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at Monroes Hotel last night, and were more than happy. We stayed in room 5 (on the 2nd floor) The rooms are basic but very clean. The bed linen is pristine and duvets lovely and cosy - there is even a kettle and supply of tea, coffee etc in the room - more than we have had at some more expensive hotels. The shared bathroom was also kept very clean. Yes, you do have the trams making a bit of noise outside, but we didn't notice this after a while, it didn't stop me getting a good nights sleep (usually I am a very light sleeper). The proximity to Piccadilly station is fantastic, less than a 2 minute walk. The full English breakfast was lovely and really set us up for the day. Overall a fantastic place to stay, we would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank netieburd
Reviewed May 8, 2013

When I booked this hotel over the phone I asked for an ensuite bathroom as I have a stoma bag due to cancer of the bowl they told me over the phone that all rooms where ensuite so I booked over the phone they asked me to post them £20 for a deposit which I didn't I was told on the phone that the room was £27 and when I got there it was £37 as I didn't send the £20 in the post anyway I paid the £37 and when up toy room to find out that the room wasn't ensuite so I went back down to the bar and told Michael(the owner) that I think you's give me the wrong room but then I was by Michael that none of the rooms where ensuite but than had no choice but to stay there bit never again

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Jayothebhoy
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We wanted a Friday night out in Manchester so booked this hotel because of its excellent location close to Picadilly station and walkable to some great bars and cafes. Thats why it gets 3 out of 5! unfortunately i wouldnt stay there again as the location and the breakfast the next morning are the only pro's. The downsides that i didnt particularly like were:
- no way of booking apart from phoning. they dont have a website and any websites mentioning them do not take bookings on their behalf!
- no way of confirming your booking apart from posting in £10 cash deposit??!! i got around that by saying i was calling from overseas! the owners will only take cash payment as they do not have credit card facilities?!
- we got a twin room as no doubles were available. the room was clean and spacious but the noise from the trams screeching and tooting was HORRENDOUS!
- no ensuite and the bathroom (shower and toilet combined) was through a couple of doors. I felt nervous about venturing to the loo in the early hours of the morning in just my dressing gown in case i bumped into guests coming in after a later night out than ours!
- the instructions for operating the shower were the most complex i think i have ever come across and not great to try and figure out after a night on the town!
a lot of these things would be very easy to put right and then i think it would be a great place. lets hope that the owners of Monroes join the 21st century soon - get a website, get credit card facilities, take online reservations, and put some double glazing up!!

Room Tip: ask if they have any rooms away from the tram noise!