“Claims of internet connection in all rooms not true”
Review of The Pendulum Hotel

The Pendulum Hotel
Ranked #45 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Convenient location close to Manchester Piccadilly station. Although the room was clean and comfortable and the general facilities were good the hotel failed in one major area. I was here on business and needed to work uninterrupted on documents in a quiet area. The Days Hotel web site says that every room has an internet connection, which is essential for me when I am travelling on business. I couldn't connect to any wifi and there was no obvious wired connection. When I asked at reception about this I was told that none of the single rooms have Internet connections but that I could use the wifi in the public areas - hardly the peaceful environment I needed to work in. For that reason I have given an overall rating of "poor". The description on their web site is currently misleading and needs to be changed.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Karen B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,729)

Reviewed April 20, 2013

For under £50 a night this hotel is a real bargain. Situated close to Piccadilly Railway Station and the city centre shops it would be hard to find a better location. The hotel is not pretentious, but is very clean, has friendly and efficient staff and is very well insulated from outside noise. I didn't eat here, but did see breakfast being served and it looked delicious. Highly recommended if you are looking for great value without too many bells and whistles.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank spanishexile
DaysMCC, Front Office Manager at The Pendulum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely comments, we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed at this hotel during August 2012. I was worried that being city centre it may be a little bit cramped etc. But we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel looked like it had been recently refurbished. It was lovely and extremely clean. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Breakfast was very varied and delicious. The room was compact but lovely all the same. The fact we could leave our luggage for free while we explored the city was brilliant too. The only downside was the evening meal. The first night was fantastic, exceeded expectations but the second night the food was poor :( we were told it was because it was a different chef on duty :( apart from this it was fab! We have already booked again for this year! Looking forward to it!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for review regarding your stay with us last August. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. With regards to the food, our menus have recently been renewed by our new Head Chef and have received positive feedback . I hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Very well located for Piccadilly station, canal street and Chinatown. The reception staff were slightly frosty but did check us in early because our room was ready so that was really good. The room itself was ok. It had everything you would need and was very clean. It was quite dated and the TV was barely watchable but that wasn't what we were there for! The walls were paper thin and you could hear everything from the adjoining rooms and corridor. That wasn't the only noise - at the back of the hotel was student halls of residence and there was a lot of noise coming from there. Every time I started to drift off I was woken up by someone shouting. It took me back to when I was a student! The pillow was very flat, it didnt feel like I had one. Breakfast was good and there was a lot of hot and cold selections which were requently replenished. Again the staff could have been more friendly.

All in all this was a decent hotel but I would only suggest it to people going on a night out in Manchester who aren't stopping in their room for long (although some rooms I noised in on the way out looked slightly nicer than ours). The next time I go on a night out I will probably pay a bit more for somewhere a bit nicer but I wouldn't be against returning here altogether.

Room Tip: We stayed in 414 (twin) This was probably one of the more dated rooms and also one of the ones close...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
DaysMCC, General Manager at The Pendulum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Days Hotel Manchester City Centre.

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again for your next visit.

Best Regards
Front of House Manager

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Well location was fab as we were seeing a show at palace theatre which was 5 min walk and piccadilly station was 5-10min walk. The room was small with bed pushed to the wall and sliding bathroom which didn't shut. However was very clean with all the essentials so for the price and for one night was a pleasant stay. Paid extra for buffet breakfast but could find cheaper near by. Also they take a £50 deposit which was very odd!! Would stay again for after a night out as central.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Lauretta_j
DaysMCC, Front Office Manager at The Pendulum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and I am happy that you had a pleasent stay.
The £50 taken on check in is our company policy and is only pre-authorision not a charge, this to cover any extras such as drinks or breakfast.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

cant get a better location for the manchester conference centre, Rooms are tiny and beds very uncomfortable. rooms are cheaper than else where but for an extra 15 - 20 pound you can get a far superior hotel

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
DaysMCC, Front Office Manager at The Pendulum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

I'm sorry that you found the bed to be uncomfortable, we do have an refurbish plan in place which we are hoping to commence soon. If possible, please can you contact me directly with details of the room you stayed in so we can investigate further.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I decided to book a night at the Days Hotel in Manchester, for a couple of reasons. Firstly we didn’t want to drive back from the Palace Theatre, where we had booked to see The Lion King, The second was the fact that it was very reasonable at £70 per night over the Easter Saturday night, and it was very central near the Student Area, and not far from Canal Street.

When I booked I specifically requested not Twin Beds. We arrived at the Hotel at 2pm, the queue to book in was about 5 or 6 people, were 4th in the queue. There was lots of staff on Reception, and two computer screens, but one member of staff was just using one screen, and the other was being stared at by three other staff, which seemed to be ignoring the fact that 6 people were trying to book in. After 15 frustrating minutes, a member of staff beckoned us forward, to the 2nd computer screen, as there seemed to be a problem with a booking on the other computer. After I filled out the form and handed over my debit card to take £50 for whatever reason, the male member of staff, stated that the room with the Twin Beds was ready. I then went on to explain that I specifically requested that I didn’t want Twin Beds, he then retorted that whoever had read my special request, had not read the word not, therefore had given us Twin Beds.

He then went on to say, the hotel was full, but they would ensure that the beds were pushed together as this is standard practise for them. I said fine, we will return at 5pm, which gives you 3 hours we were in room 225 on Saturday 30th March.

When we returned at 5pm, we were told that although the room was ready the beds were still separate as they had been too busy; we had to wait in the room while two ladies placed them together, which took another 5 minutes, while they moved furniture about. It may seem like a picky point, but because of the check-in and the confusion with the beds, it made it a bad experience all round.

Having said that the room was fine, large in size with everything you needed, and they left a couple of Cadbury Crème Eggs because it was Easter, which was a nice touch.

The bathroom was fine, and although a little noisy later on at night, on the whole the rest was an enjoyable experience, just a shame about the other stuff.

Probably avoid it in future.

Mark & Michaela

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on trip advisor regarding your stay with us at the Days Hotel. I would like to apologise for the inconvienience of firstly not having what you requested and the time that was taken to arrange this.

I would like to investigate this further and if you can contact me directly?

I look forward to hearing from you.