“customer service failed me”
Review of The Pendulum Hotel

The Pendulum Hotel
Ranked #47 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have stayed here several times. It is a functional, clean hotel with very small rooms in a handy location which, providing it is quite cheap, can be a good option for nights out in Manchester.
However, they let me down badly recently - I asked for a twin room for my friend and I and when I got there none was available, only doubles. I had a long discussion with reception who told me that my request was not relevant because it was "subject to availability". Since I had booked 6 weeks in advance and specifically made that request (because we were friends sharing, not a couple) I thought that was unacceptable. They claim none were available even when I booked but since they had my contact details I think it is awful customer service not to have at least informed me in advance.
They refused to accept this was their mistake and correct it by giving us a second room to avoid us sharing - wanting to charge me £89 for the only single room left.
Essentially their attitude was that the hotel would be full anyway so decent customer service was unnecessary. I do not feel I could trust them again.
As I was going out another couple were arguing in reception about a booking error.

Room Tip: Check by ringing them in advance that they have the type of room you need. Or go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank CanaryJane
DaysMCC, General Manager at The Pendulum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

I am very sorry you encountered an issue during your stay with us. We always try our best to accommodate requests, however, they canot be guaranteed. We usually receive good comments about our customer service, therefore, I am very concerned about your experience and I would therefore like to discuss this more thoroughly.

I will contact you to investigate fully under seperate cover.

There are newer reviews for The Pendulum Hotel

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was looking for a central location to the train station and shopping, couldn't have asked for a better location. Arrived at the hotel and was greeted by friendly staff. My booking confirmation stated a twin room but as i was on my own, got a room with a double bed which was very comfortable. The room had everything i needed including a safe, iron & board and hairdryer. Although it is near the centre, no noise could be heard outside and had a good night's sleep. Breakfast was included in the price but i didn't have any food so i cannot comment on the restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Debbie_from_Cheshire

Thank you for leaving us your comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have stayed here twice now and both times we have found the staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms tend to be compact but the cleanliness cannot be faulted. If you are looking for value for money check out this hotel on the various booking sites as substantial savings can be made. Breakfast is second to none and the bar in the conservatory is a pleasant place to relax with a glass or two, get Omar to make you a hot chocolate with Baileys as a night cap and you will sleep like a baby!!!!
Great location for Piccadilly station, Palace Theatre and central Manchester.

Room Tip: Despite being in University District it has been very quite but we have only stayed mid week.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kaff_12

Fantastic comments, thank you very much I will pass your feedback on to Omar directly, he will be delighted that he helped to make your stay more enjoyable.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed in this hotel due to its closeness to the main rail station as I had to nip off quite early to catch a train to London.

The room was quite small for a couple but we managed just fine and the facilities were excellent.

There was a BBQ at the front entrance which we didn't visit as we were off out for the night. Breakfast in the morning. We both went for a cooked breakfast from the buffet, all was hot and fresh.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisWilkin

Great comments, thank you so much for posting your feedback. We hope to look after you again very soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting friends in Manchester. We booked through asda, and paid £57 for double room and breakfast.

The hotel is centrally located and was easy to find from Piccadilly station.
The hotel was vibrant, due to it also being a conference centre.
The room was small but clean, and had ample facilities.
The breakfast was delicious. It is self service. Lots of options, ie full English, cereal, toast, or all of it. Staff are attentive but not overbearing.
The only downside I would have to say was that it is right near university halls/the union, and some students were noisy. However, the window was open and this may have increased the annoyance of this.

Would definitely recommend this as a place to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid anywhere facing the university, which might be hard to do.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sophy217

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, I will raise the noise issue that you encountered with the warden and our night security. They should be attending to noise issues at the time as a matter of urgency.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to leave us a great review.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel was verry clean room was a littel small but nice and warm when we got there at 10pm check in was verry fast no problems will stay there agine it would have been nice to have a bath but a shower was good i think it could do with some music channels on the tv thank you days hotel see you soon

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Terry E

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken note of the comment about a music channel and will review. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here last night after seeing Cheryl Cole at the MCR Arena and having a night out in the gay village afterwards. The room was fab - spotless , nicely decorated and modern. You can tell they take pride in making it look great. I was so pleased at the size of the bathroom as in many hotels bathrooms are so small and have no space but this bathroom was great and the shower was fantastic.

The staff were so friendly and helpful , it's in a great location for Manchester's nightlife. I would definitely stay here again !,

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Josh B

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. We do take pride in our cleanliness and standards and enjoy passing feedback such as this on to our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.