“Good, functional but noisy accommodation”
Review of The Pendulum Hotel

The Pendulum Hotel
Ranked #49 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Derbyshire
“Good, functional but noisy accommodation”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

The Days Hotel is not far from Manchester city centre on foot, tucked away just off the University campus (or UMIST, as was). It was initially difficult to locate the hotel, as it looked like student accommodation (I think there are some student blocks adjacent to the hotel). Once inside, I found myself in a modern reception area where I was efficiently checked in.

My first impression of the room was, again, student accommodation! It was pretty small - probably the smallest double hotelroom I have ever stayed in - and the furniture was basic, much in the style of Ibis/Travelodge/Premier Inn. However, the bed was nicely made up and the room provided everything you really need for a short stay. There was even a generous allocation of biscuits, including jammy dodgers!

The bathroom was also small, but was very contemporary and had a good-sized shower. Unfortunately, as soon as I got hot water in the shower, it went cold, even though I could get plenty of hot water in the washbasin. There was wall-mounted liquid soap (with which getting a lather was a major effort) but I didn't see any shampoos. The bathroom was immaculately clean, as was the bedroom.

The double bed was very comfortable and I would have had a good night's sleep had I not been woken up several times throughout the night by people talking loudly, shouting and arguing - I could hear this noise from the corridor, other rooms and from outside the hotel.

I paid £60 for a Friday night at the Days Hotel. My feeling is that this hotel is a touch over-priced for what I got, but is still cheap enough to attract the Friday-night revellers. So, while it is difficult to seriously criticise this very functional accommodation, I have to mark it down on price and clientele.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
barbaraws, General Manager at The Pendulum Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I have passed the note about the shower maintenance to our House Manager, and I am sorry you found the hotel noisy during your stay. Oor security Nights team are usually extremely efficient in dealing with any noise issue I will reiterate the need to take action quickly on the occcassion our guests do become noisy.

Thank you again for your coments and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2011

stayed here in october,what a great hotel,staff were really nice,bedrooms were quite small (but only stayed for one night)so it was fine, the room was clean,the bathroom was clean too,the breakfast was great,everything about this hotel was good, location for city center and night life within walking distance

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
barbaraws, General Manager at The Pendulum Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Your comments are lovely, thank you for taking the time to post them. Good positive feedback is really appreciated by the staff. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.
North Wales
Reviewed October 11, 2011

The Hotel is in easy waking distance of Piccadilly Station and the city centre. The rooms are on the small side but are clean and provide whats needed for a short city centre break. The early bird at £9.95 for three courses is great value and drinks prices are ok.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
I have passed on your positive feedback to the staff at the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Stayed at Days Hotel Manchester early October. Admittedly it was the Indian summer but the rooms were like a Sauna even with the window open - limited opening - we were exhausted with heat and unable to sleep. A fan was provided but this was noisy. So if you go in summer be warned. Not bad for City hotel but not very good area. If you are going to go to a conference at the Central there is no transport so means 15min walk - if you are fit -or taxi.
Breakfast very good also dinner

Room Tip: Make sure the shower is working before un packing -ours wasn't so had to change rooms - still li...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
The heat during the summer and into October seems to have caused us a few problems this year. We do provide fans for rooms when the weather is hot, however, I have asked that they are all checked given the note you have made about the noise the fan made. Thank you for giving us your feedback it enables to act efficiently in sorting out these issues pro actively.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2011

This is a good hotel for a short break. I arrived late and the receptionist was helpful and efficient in getting me checked in. The first room I was given was on the uni side and I would hear the music from the Student Union so I requested a room on the other side of the hotel. I had booked a single but was upgraded to a double and the new room was much quieter although i could still hear voices from outside until quite late. The rooms are very warm so it is probably necessary for most people to keep the windows open, which could be difficult on the noisy side. The breakfast was good, with everything constantly topped up. All staff I met were very helpful and efficient.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ADP11
We are grateful for your positive comments, and thank you for taking the time to write them down. We can experience some occassional external noise due to our central location, however, generally it doesn't present a problem and our night staff are quite efficient in dealing with any noise that affects our guests. I do hope the noise didn't disturb you too much on the night you stayed and hope to welcome you back to the Days Hotel on your next visit to Manchester.
Southampton
Reviewed September 19, 2011

From Manchester Piccadilly train station take the escalator by number 10 platform down to concourse cross the road turn right thats Fairfield St, walk along this ,you enter Whitworth St walk up to the traffic lights turn left into Sackville st, and it down there on the right you find the Hotel . If you arrive by National Express coaches into Chorton St then it the next street on your right , so it is easy to get to and if you want to travel by tram or bus from the hotel walk up Sackville street cross the main road continue up Sackville st then turn right into Portland st then walk to Piccadilly Gardens .
This hotel is a budget hotel in the center of Manchester, very clean and staff very friendly, rooms I would say are very compact but everything there what you want including making tea/ coffe , the only downside to the room there isn't any aircon , but they do supply a fan, we stayed there August 1 for 3 nights and the weather was warm. Breakfast in the hotel was £9.95 exspensive for what it was, the tea and coffe was made in flasks and was not very hot .
If you can wait until 09:00 in the morning then the bar 20 seconds away had breakfast from £3.00 to £3.99 and thats a mega breakfast including drinks a better option. Would I stay in this hotel again yes I would , only at a budget price and try the breakfast , almost next door

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scillybishop
I was disapointed to hear that you did not feel breakfast was value for money. The breakfast offering at the hotel normally receives good comments. I have however, noted the warmth of the tea and coffee, I have passed all of your comments on to the restaurant a manager for her action. We unfortunately do not have air conditioning in the rooms, however, given the Manchester weather, fortunately, it is not a regular problem for us. We do provide a fan for every room in case of warm weather.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Manchester.
Oslo
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My son and I stayed for two nights while being in the city to watch a football game. We were looking for a hotel within a budget, not too far from what there was to see.

First off, we had problems finding the hotel as the map did not show the correct location (ordered through hotels.com). However we were able to find it when we asked for directions. The hotel is a conference type hotel and it is nice enough, though it lacks a "personal" feel to it. The staff was friendly and helpful throughout.

The rooms were nice and clean, not too spacious but we were not there to hang out in our room either. It was more than sufficient for us. It was within easy walking distance of the town centre, not too near & not too far away. After two days however we got a bit fed up with having to walk there. Next time, we'll probably go for a hotel closer to the Piccadilly.

All in all, it suited our needs and was more than adequate for our purpose. Though lacks personality and there's a chance you'll get fed up having to walk down to the city centre very many times.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. We are moving through the property constantly to ensure that the public areas are updated and I have taken on board the comments about making the area warmer and more personal. I have also advised the reservations manager that the map on hotels.com seems to be incorrect. I appreciate you taking the time to advise of this. I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Manchester.