“beware the awful temporary check in”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Ranked #14 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed June 27, 2013

we use this airport hotel several times a year and it's usually fine but our last 2 stays have been less than satisfactory due to the crap temporary check in facilities whilst the hotel undergoes a refurb.I appreciate this is only temporary but the hotel needs to sort this as we are seriously thinking of an alternative hotel until they sort this mess out.The check in is a circular affair and there is simply no system for guests coming into the hotel and those trying to check out,which means people end up pushing in.When we checked out recently there were only 2 staff members on duty,one of whom was a trainee.I told one staff member that this was unacceptable and he just shrugged his shoulders.This relatively minor gripe should be an easy problem to solve for a hotel of this quality.Rant over.

2  Thank bazfromyorkshire

Reviewed June 27, 2013

we arrived at this hotel and made us welcome and the bedroom was very comfortable. Went to the swimming pool, sauna and steam room. After that we went to the restaurant for meal, the restaurant was very modern and the menu was very good selection to choose from but slightly unfortunately not much to choose for the people who has coeliac disease, they really need gluten free meal. The next morning we had lovely breakfast, plenty of choice to choose suitable for the clients. But at the moment this hotel is having facelift. Sure the hotel will be very nice when the facelift has been done

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times and it’s a really good and convenient stop-over option if you are flying early or to elsewhere.
The hotel currently has ‘the builders in’ amidst a serious refit …. And there were a few tell-tale signs that this was the case in the room – like a slow leak under the sink and a few other areas in the bathroom needed some finishing detail attended to .. but they obviously have a certain amount of rooms kept open whilst ‘under reconstruction’.
The AC was also not working. They did apologise for this at check-in and offered an additional fan if I needed it (there was already one in the room). It was a bit stuffy at first, but not too bad when the fan got going, and to be honest, although it was a very rare hot day, I can count the times I would need AC on the fingers of one hand!
It’s worth remembering that the hotel is a good 20 minute push with the trolley from Terminal 3 even though it’s on the airport site, and also that it’s very easy to get lost if you don’t know the way!
Other than that, all the usual Rad standards apply.
The room – I booked a business Class room for £172 as that was all that was available by the time I had my job confirmed - was spacious and comfortable
The WIFI however didn’t work, the signal was so weak that my laptop was not interested in connecting, so I didnlt waste any time, I gave up on it straight away and resorted to my 3G card, which went at turbo speeds and more than made up for it - , it was excellent!
It’s about a £25 – £30 taxi ride from here into town – depending on traffic.
I was working at the City of Manchester Stadium, which took about an hour at peak time on the way in (exacerbated due to extra traffic flow from the concert going to the stadium clogging up the approach roads) .. and about 15 minutes on the way back with almost no traffic!
I will continue to stay there when I am in similar circumstances.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed here for the first night of our honeymoon before an early flight to the USA. Due to awful rooms (dirty bed & towels/put in room with 2 single beds/scruffy furniture/broken air-con etc. etc.) we changed rooms three times and couldn't wait to get out! So so disappointed we chose this hotel (we expected a 5/ 5 star standard, wouldn't pass for a 3) NEVER AGAIN! I am expecting a full refund. Instead of relaxing us after a very tiring wedding day it was stressful and tiring- it really takes us a lot to complain, not usually the type to do so at all... this took the biscuit.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel if you want to relax, use the SPA and leave!
3  Thank Newlywed0506
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here prior to an early morning flight and found it pretty good by Airport hotel standards. Rooms were OK and the hotel is under refurbishment so hopefully will soon be even better!

The restaurant was closed due to the ongoing refurbishment, so we ate in the bar. The food was nothing special, typical chain hotel fayre and fairly pricey. Convenient and perfectly edible if nothing else.

Bar service in the upper bar overlooking the airport was much better and not bad price wise considering the location.

Checkout in the morning was quick and there was complimentary coffee, water and snacks in reception to grab on the way out, a nice touch seeing as it was too early to get breakfast in the hotel.

Would definitely stay here if we had an early flight in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Expectations of airport hotels are not usually high but I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in this hotel. Friendly staff, best meal I've had in a long time (problems from earlier reviews must have been ironed out!), ease of walking to all terminals and a comfy bed. The hotel is being refurbished but there was no noise to spoil my stay. Car parking efficient too.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have stayed here twice now, very handy when you have 7am check in's.

Most recent stay was before going on Honeymoon.

Rooms are a nice size, clean, with comfy beds. The hotel staff are always helpful.
It has a bar/resturant which serves a good selection of nice food.

The rooms are starting to show there age, but they seem to be renevating the entire hotel at the moment so I would expect the rooms to be back up to a very high standard of finish soon.

All in all nothing really bad to say about it. If your flying out from Manchester airport & you want to stay at the airport - this is the hotel for you, you dont even have to get wet going to any of the three teminal's.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of the run way cost more, but it's worth it if you like to watch the world...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple