“Parking system still very painful”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Ranked #15 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I reviewed this hotel previously, while the gym has improved considerably (they are on time and very friendly to the regular hotel guest' not just the members), but the parking at this hotel is really still very painful. So, be prepare to spend extra time to get the parking ticket validated every time you plan to go somewhere with your car. The manager assured me that this hotel will undergo major upgrade this year. Hopefully they will also upgrade the parking system to make it more user friendly .. This should not be too difficult ?

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tookaa
Write a ReviewReviews (6,129)

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here the night before my 9am flight,The hotel staff are friendly and very helpful.The room was very good with the usual things you expect from a top hotel,tea/coffee,free wi-fi.After a good nights sleep i was ready for my flight.I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank adrian b
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Not my best experience with Radisson hotels. The check in was slow and time consuming. Administrative papers, friendly but slow staff and you just want to check in.... I had an scandinavian room and this means basic/basic. The check out was even worse than the check in. Computer system broke down. Manual check out, long cues and so on. Location near the airport is great, but that's all.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ronald3D
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I selected this hotel because of its convenience to the terminals as well as a very good rate (68 pounds) if prepaid at least 21 days ( I think 21 is correct). Because of the convenience, I was able to drop off my rental car by 6pm, not have to worry about it the next morning, and be in the room in half an hour.

The hotel is connected by moving sidewalks to the terminals and train station. It took me five minutes to walk, with luggage, between terminal 1 and the hotel. Checking in was simple and quick. Staff were very efficient and pleasant. The room on the fifth floor was quite large by British standards, very clean and quite well equipped. My only complaint is that the TV is high above the frig etc and makes the angle for looking at it a little awkward. TV station choices are typically English, i.e. crap particularly as Sky wasn't available.

I ate at the Runway brasserie and found the waitress staff quite satisfactory. I ordered their fish and chips which was OK but fairly bland, not as tasty as most stores on the street in any English town.

Next morning, though was where it came into its own. I was able to walk down to the terminal at 5:30, check in quickly and then return to the hotel for an hour relaxing in the room before checking out in plenty of time to go through the very annoying security checks and then extended walk just to get to a seat in the departure lounge to wait for the gate to open.

Would I use this hotel again in the future? Darned right I will, if the price stays the same.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank FamilySupporter
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The convenience of the hotel was what sold us immediately and the price wasn't bad either. The actually experience left us with somewhat of a bad taste in our mouths.

First off, the convenience of the hotel cannot be disputed. It opens right into the Manchester Airport. Keep in mind that although it opens into the airport, it may still take you some time to hike it to the proper terminal you need. For some reason, it was intensely warm inside the glass area that connects to the terminals. All three terminals are accessible from the hotel via the glass walkway (some will require you to take ground walkways further along).

Our check-in process was delayed due to a long line of people and not enough staff at counters. When we finally were able to get to our room, we walked into a room that smelled very strongly of cigarettes. The staff was understanding and quickly got us a different room. The new room was overall average, a bit dirty, and decorated with strange (to me) modern-ish furniture that was chipped and in rough shape. There was a closet in the middle of the room shaped like an upright tube studded with colored glass that was garish but amusing. The irony of a side table adorned with a woman's face smoking a cigarette was not lost on us. Overall, despite being near the airport, the room was relatively quiet. Check-out was smooth and quick (and also at an early time in the morning).

We did not experience the restaurants/bars at the hotel. The hotel is a rather large place with seemingly many different areas to hang out but overall had a dirty feel to it. Maybe it's because it is near the airport?

High points:
1. Location, location, location!
2. Opens right into Manchester airport.

Low points:
1. Overall has a dirty feel to it for some reason.
2. Service can back up at times depending on time of day.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Howard H
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Convenience to the airport terminals does not get much better than the Radisson Blu Hotel at Manchester Airport, Manchester, UK. Registration is on the 3rd Floor; the same level as the glass-enclosed walkway to Terminals 1 and 2. A short outside stroll is required to reach Terminal 3. Check-in was smooth. Walking the corridor, the wear on the hotel property is very noticeable; worn carpet, outdated colors and fixtures. At check-out, the Front Desk clerk stated the hotel will begin renovations on the 18th of March, 2013. Our room was fine for our purposes; an overnight stay before our flight from MAN to JFK. Shower was not hard to operate and the water was hot, very hot if you wanted. My wife's bath, however, took a different path. When she began draining the tub, the water flow upwards from the floor drain. Our water closet did not flush correctly. We reported the maintenance issues at check-out. We ate a late night dinner and morning breakfast while at the hotel. Food was nothing special. Service was friendly and polite. I would stay here again, but only because of the convenience to the Terminals.

Room Tip: While our room faced the airport, terminal buildings and such blocked our view of the runways.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve R
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We booked to stay at this hotel on the way back from our holiday on January 28th early hours of the morning after we landed at Manchester from Cyprus. After getting off the flight and then having to trail with our bags to the hotel, where the walking escalator was not working, no trolleys available, so had to drag our bags to the hotel. only to be told when we go there that the hotel was full and over booked, so imagine to our horror, .. we had booked this in August and then to be told there was no room for us was just the icing on the cake. The hotel said that they would book us in to another hotel at nearly 3 in the morning and as you can imagine we were so tired. The receptionist said that she would refund our money and book us is elsewhere, I asked if breakfast would be included. When we found out that we were going to be booked in at the Bewleys, I thought oh no, as I did not really rate Bewleys as a great place to stay, but never the less we were picked up by Bewleys after having to go back to the reception to enquire where the transport was.!! Finally got to our room at nearly 4 in the morning and as we had to be up early the next morning to catch a train back to our home town. Once we arrived home, I called our Travel Agent and explained to them that the Radisson Blu owed us money as they said that they would honour the payment and also booked us in to the hotel. All I can say that it was an experience that I will not be going through again, I thought the Raddison with it being a hotel as it was would have some record of all the rooms and the people that they have staying. Terrible service.

Room Tip: Check before you travel to see if you are booked in to this hotel, as you could end up going and fin...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple