“The Best Airport Location”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Ranked #13 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Sheffield
“The Best Airport Location”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed here January 2011 during our engagement trip, for one night prior to flying.

We had the Business Class with 8 day parking package.

Our room was on the top floor with fantastic views of the T1 complex, general airside environment and the runways. Even though the room had Business Class status it was quite basic and all about the views. The bed was quite small in comparison with most other hotels I use around the World. 8/10 on the views alone.

Location - Connected to the airport via the 'sky tunnel' system. The main hotel lobby is connected to this 'tunnel', which gives you easy access to T1, T2 and the rail station without going outside. T3 is via T1 with a short outside walk via a covered walkway. Manchester City Centre is around 20 mins away via the very regular train service to Piccadilly. This means a good night in town can be achieved giving a nice boost to the start of any holiday. 10/10

Staff - pleasant and helpful if short on the ground. 7/10

Food - We had breakfast in the main restaurant. One of the better buffet breakfast available 9/10

Value - 7/10, an expensive option that provides a good start to a holiday, the cost mitigated slightly with the parking option.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MartinBancroft

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,116)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Despite being a Hilton “junkie”, i.e. enjoy the perks as a Gold Card member, the Radisson cannot be beaten for convenience when using Manchester as your departure point.
Although some of the themed rooms are now looking a little dated and tired, and my mattress was definitely sagging!, there are too many plusses to consider staying anywhere else.
This last trip I took my luggage and checked in at terminal 2 and then returned for a relaxing breakfast, even better than the offerings in the various lounges in the airport and certainly more comfortable.
Although there is a safe in the room it is too small form a laptop, although OK for passport etc.
Always check the rate, but if within a few pounds of the competition give it a try, location is everything.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank hazban
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Stayed one night before a flight. This is a big hotel, conveniently connected to rail, and all terminals at Manchester Airport. I asked for a standard room (renovated) and was pleasantly surprised. It was clean and functional, and the staff were very professional at check in and check out. They have a good health club and small pool, but it is all quite satisfactory.
My last stay here was 7 years ago, and it was obvious that they have been working at keeping the property well maintained. Free wifi, easily accessible bar, and good location make this a most suitable stay.

Reviewed July 15, 2011

we have stayed at this hotel on other occassions and have never had any problems but lets just say i would never reccomend this to anyone as i have done in the past. my complaint is very lenghthy so i wont bother, lets just say lack of commmunication on their part made our stay stressfull and unenjoyable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Having read other reviews I wasn't hoping for much from the Radisson Blu at Manchester Airport. With most people are staying for only a very short time (one night?), airport hotels don't have to try very hard, but I was very pleased with this one.

Situated only a travelator away from the terminals and rail connections, check-in was both polite and efficient. I asked for, and was given an airside view room on the 6th floor - much nicer than a your average hotel view (and reminiscent of Disneyland Paris looking out on Main Street USA at night so I was even happier).

The floors are all individually themed, floor 6 being "Oriental" and wow, do they mean themed. An ornate square headboard with huge padded ring in the centre, a groovy semi walk-in wardrobe, again carved with oriental themeing and some other nice, well thought out furniture/storage. Tea/coffee, hairdryer, trouser press, nice soft towels etc provide everything you need. If you push me, the only thing I could fault in this room is the silk fabric of the headboard. It's probably not that easy to clean the fabric and is therefore looking grubby - more perhaps a design flaw that anything else. Everywhere else is spotless. Oh, and free, easy to connect, reliable/fast wifi access!!!! Did not expect that,

Importantly, I've not heard a thing from the corridor all night and not much more from outside the window where let's face it, there is quite a lot happening from time to time.

I paid £99 for the room which is about the same as the Hilton and Crowne Plaza. I was never going to be eating in the hotel; ate before I checked in and I'm leaving at 5am but am not surprised about people's comments on price. You're in a Radisson hotel at an airport - you're not in your local 2 for £5 pub!!

So fear not travellers, if you want to turn that usually soulless pre-trip hotel stay into a nice relaxing one, then I can easily recommend this place.

2 Thank DisneyDave23
RobCollier, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Thank you for your positive comments. Really happy that you had a good experience at the hotel.I also hope your family had a great time at Disney.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My review has this title because the location of the Radisson Blu is its best feature. As the only hotel within the Manchester Airport, located halfway between the Station and Terminal 2, it is ideally placed for those with morning flights who have a lot of luggage, as we did. It could be a very fine hotel, but some issues need to be addressed.

The biggest problem seemed to be water pipes which "sang" like organ pipes. This happened whenever we turned the water on in the sink in our bathroom. Worse, though, it could be heard from other rooms, and it woke us during the night. When I mentioned this to the desk clerk during checkout she simply said "thank you, I'll mention that to maintenance." I needed to catch my flight so I didn't feel like arguing further.

Although the Scandinavian decor was originally lovely, someone had badly abused the wooden furniture in our room. It looked as though a knife or a key had been scraped against the desk and dresser, leaving ugly scars.

One more point in the hotel's favor: fast WiFi was free. Too often large, relatively upscale brands charge for Internet service. This was a plus.

We did not eat in the overpriced restaurant. Instead, we walked to Terminal 2 and got sandwiches at the Spar market.

I would stay here again if I had a lot of luggage I did not want to put on a shuttle. If I do stay here again, I'll bring earplugs! Otherwise, I'll stay at the Premier Inn just off site.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you fior your comments and feedback. i will get my Engineer to review the pipe noise.
Hope to see you again and hope you try the food at the hotel. We are just launching a new menu this week.
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I booked into this hotel for 5 nights on a business trio here I was working 15 hour shifts in a nearby office. I chose this hotel because it was near work and I knew I would not have much time for sleep between shifts. Night 1 we went to the restaurant for dinner and saw that there was 2 restaurants. One looked like a school canteen so we went to the Philias Fog which was the smarter of the 2 restaurants. The prices on the menu were incredible. £30 for a steak in Manchester. We ordered dinner and the waitress warned us because we had ordered steak it would be 45 minutes. S we decided to have something else but she said they would be 40 mins too so we stuck with the steak. When they arrived over one hour later my colleague who had asked for a well done steak received a medium to rare steak. The staff seemed unable to respond to his complaints. Eventually after almost 3 hours we weed presented with a bill for almost £150 for 2 courses for 3 people and a bottle of fizzy water.

Day 3. My colleague who was working night shift and was trying to sleep during the day put a do not disturb sign on his door to prevent the cleaning staff disturbing him. However in the middle of the day when he was in a deep sleep the hotel staff called him to ask if he really did not want to be disturbed.

Day 5. I returned from a 15 hour shift desperate to get to bed and was unable to access my room. After 3 attempts at re-setting my room cards and giving me replacement cards (each attempt taking a least 10 minutes in a queue at reception to be heard I gave in and called reception and demanded someone come up to me and fix the issue. Further 5 minutes later the concierge arrived and could not access the room either. as there was no maintenance men son site they could not give me access to my room. I was eventually given another room to sit in for about 40 minutes until they accessed my room.

Unless you have got a really early flight then I would not recommend staying at this hotel. Both the Crowne Plaza and the Mint Hotel are only a few minutes from Piccadilly station so you could be in the airport within 20 minutes from there. They both offer much better customer service and far better value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
RobCollier, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. It is clear that your experience was a poor one. I will personally investigate your comments as this is not acceptable or consistent with our usual levels of service.