“Just great”

Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #24 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed July 8, 2007

Great hotel, couldn't fault our stay at all. Excellent staff and lovely comfortable rooms made for a luxurious stay. Very handy location for Manchester city centre. Well worth a visit if only to sleep in the most comfortable bed I have ever experienced.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel

Reviewed July 3, 2007

I booked a surprise stay on the 29th June 2007 for my boyfriend and I. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. The shower amazing. Staff very friendly and helpful from Arrival to Check out. Breakfast was average but delivered to the room on time. The hotel bar was friendly
and you do see the odd famous face.

Downside was the loud couple next door during our stay, I was surprised at this as a previous review mentioned how quiet it was. It
was a little bit embarrasing, thankfully my boyfriend and I were a little tipsy so had no trouble sleeping.

I recommend this hotel and expedia gave us a great deal and early check in. Everything is in walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2007

As always I looked up the best of Manchester Hotels when planning my bank holiday weekend trip.

The Marriot reviews were consistently good and seeing that it was No 1 I had no hesitation in booking.

All in all I would say that I have stayed in better hotels in the city to name two I would say the Radisson Edwardian or the Mal Maison are far better in terms of room quality and eating.

One major issue was the length of the walk from the Foyer to the room....A long way.

Nice cosy informal bar area to have a drink...A quality hotel but is it the best?

2  Thank keepthechange
Reviewed June 18, 2007

After reading the reviews of this hotel my girlfriend and I decided to book this hotel, it proved to be a wise choice.

The hotel itself is full of character features, oak beams, exposed brick etc. and when these are added to well trained, polite staff you have a winning formula.

I have also stayed at the New Hilton @ Deansgate a couple of hundred metres from the Marriot which was twice as expensive and half as good. This is definately the best hotel of the two.

For a very good hotel at a reasonable price this is certainly the pick of Manchester!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Butlin
Reviewed June 5, 2007

We stayed here in April 2007 to attend a concert at the MEN. We were very impressed with the hotel facilities and found the service to be exceptional.

A smiling concierge welcomed us, helped with luggage and then took the car away to park it. Check in was speedy, efficient & friendly. Our room was ready for us when we arrived at 2.30pm.

The room was on the first floor and it was beautifully furnished with a very large bathroom and 2 extremely comfortable double beds.
We chatted with a member of the housekeeping staff who was servicing the room next door and she was absolutely delightful - a real credit to the hotel.

The concierge gave us a map & directions into the city centre and we went for a wander. It took about 12 minutes to walk to the main shopping area around the Arndale Centre.
Later that evening we took a taxi from the hotel to the MEN which was £4 and took 5 mins.

The hotel is located opposite Granada Studios. Lots of celebrities stay there and there are various framed photos of them around the walls.

Later that night we had a drink in the large hotel bar which was quite lively and very pleasant.
Although the hotel was full that night, we didn't hear any noise and had a great night's sleep.

Breakfast the next morning was superb - one of the best hotel breakfasts we have had anywhere.

We thoroughly recommend this hotel and will happily stay there when we return to Manchester.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank blondeyone
Reviewed May 13, 2007

We were here for a concert at the MEN. The hotel is well unattractive, too far from the center of town, frumpy furniture, but excellent front staff.
At check-in the service was quick and helpful. The room itself was not properly cleaned, used hair wrap in the shower and robes not clean. So, they upgraded us to one of their best junior suites. The furniture was still old looking and the sofa was the kind you just fell into. I was disappointed. The tea/coffee services looked old and burnt on the edges. The turn down service included two chocolates on the bedside and nothing else. I left a note for more coffee, but it was ignored.
As soon as we arrived, the parking attendant wanted to know if we will pay the 12gbp.
Breakfast was very poor. Nice selection but I should have gone elsewhere. The eggs were overcooked and the toast burnt, but shockingly, she still tried to serve them as as is!!
This was the worst Marriot experience we ever had. I see nothing to recommend here, except for it is a comfortable bed.
Oh, no hot water, as well. The hotel was not busy , practically empty. I can't believe this is the best for Manchester!

2  Thank cj15
Reviewed May 10, 2007

I've stayed at this property a few times now, and it is always dependable and you seem assured of a comfortable stay.

This time I was at first assigned a standard room with one king bed which seemed fairly small and compact ('cramped' might be too strong a word) - although the standard/level of decoration was as high, it felt too tight a fit for a long weekend.

Luckily, as there were two of us (doesn't necessarily mean you're a couple, of course) we went back to reception and said we needed a room with two beds (as they hadn't asked). I'd always been given one of these previously, even when checking-in alone, and knew they are much roomier and have two double beds.

All the rooms are nicely decorated and never seem to be too worn or damaged. Most have exposed brickwork on one wall, maybe an original iron column/supports, and all have exposed wood timber ceilings - reflecting the building's former life as a mill. The in-room safe is plenty big enough for a laptop, there's an ironing board and iron, plus a hospitality tray with kettle, tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits. Internet access is via i-bahn and at £15 per 24 hours is very steep. 15 minutes internet use in the hotel's business centre is £3.

Check-in is friendly and although a little slow, quite thorough. Not eaten at the hotel, but did use the bar after hours - two vodka, lime and lemonades was £7.60. Check-out time of noon was extended to 1pm without any hassle.

My only criticism is that the corridors are very warm and the room was too without the aircon on full blast - and this was on a damp spring weekend, I'd worry if I was staying in the height of summer.

2  Thank paulieuk