“Very good hotel in a quiet location in town”

Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #25 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Whitley Bay
“Very good hotel in a quiet location in town”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was a really pleasant surprise . Only a 5 minute walk from Deansgate but a nice quiet corner next to the canal.
Reception was well furnished and efficient. Helpful staff.
We were asked if we wanted to update to a larger room but the standard double was perfectly fine, with modern furnishings, great comfortable bed, and excellent air con. which was already switched on, so on a really hot day the room was already nice and cool.
Nice bathroom and shower. Decent toiletries, towels etc..
Breakfast was pretty good with a nice variety of food.
Parking costs £16 but to be honest any car park nearby would be nearly as much.
Would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Cambs
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We visited this hotel last year and it was fine....booked again.....big mistake. We booked for two nights and the room we were in at first had obviously been used as a smoking room previously. Although the hotel is now non-smoking, I could just feel and smell that it had been a smoking room before.
Dinner was dreadful, no other word for it. There was a wedding on and boy did we know it. Service in the restaurant was appalling ......we were told 'because of the wedding'. Not acceptable. The chairs in the dining room were filthy, no other word for it. I told one of the waiters. .....not remotely interested or apologetic.
Got about 3 hours sleep the first night. Wedding music went on until the early hours.....bang bang bang. The when I finally drifted off to sleep, woke to what I thought was someone being killed. Turned out it was a couple in the next room shagging. Nothing the hotel could do about that, but on top of her screaming her head off, the bed was squeaking so loudly....hideous. Eventually drifted off to sleep again, only to be woken at around 6 am with lorries being unloaded outside, clinking of metal (no idea what was happening) , people chatting loudly in the yard. Turns out our room overlooked the back of the hotel and so this was obviously the delivery point. The couple next door must have woken with this noise, so started shagging again. Luckily my ten year old managed to sleep through most of the noise, but I felt so tired I could have cried.
Complained at reception that morning and after a lot of persuasion the assistant manager agreed to refund me for that night. I asked to be moved to a different part of the hotel for the next night....after some discussion she advised me that there was another party on that night too, which wasn't due to finish til 1am and frankly nowhere in the hotel would be immune from the noise.....great.
In the end the room we were allocated was over the entrance to the hotel. We couldn't hear the music, but we could hear clearly the groups of people smoking and chatting out there til the early hours. A complete and utter nightmare and a I will NOT be booking there again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Cranach23
hereford
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Stayed here for one Friday night. Met by excellent concierge/valet staff and my car was taken away for parking. The only grumble I had at reception was that they'd given my room to someone else, and waited about 10 minutes whilst they found another room ! That said, the room was great and the beds very comfortable. It's in a great location ( only 5 minute walk to Deansgate with all their bars and restaurants ) and the price for a 4 star hotel is reasonable. The waiting staff were attentive, but I think at £16pp, the breakfast is a little too expensive.(there are restaurants and bars very close bye, and a breakfast at one of these is about £6pp.
Overall, I would recommend staying here. Its very nicely decorated and in an old converted wharehouse

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Although I thought the hotel was lovely & no real complaints with any element of my stay at the hotel. The issue was before arrival. I had a pre booked room & was unwell the morning of my stay. With a 5 hour drive from South Wales ahead I made a request to the hotel to rearrange the date to another time. Although I spoke to a number of different people (all of whom were unable to make the decision) the ultimate response was use it or lose it. Not in a position to be able to afford it again anytime soon (it was for my partners birthday) we made the trip but were unable to much due to me being ill. I do understand bookings have policies. However I felt that due to the nature of my request to rearrange (being unwell) it was slightly unfair.

Stayed August 2014
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel bed and pillows extremely comfy, late check out (all hotels should offer this) breakfast was delicious, staff very attentive and polite, rooms immaculate and very nicely done. Cannot fault any aspect of our stay will definitely be returning

Stayed August 2014
Alsager, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We usually stay at the MacDonald Manchester Hotel but decided to have a change as we received what we considered to be a good offer via Secret Escapes - £124 for B&B with valet parking and a bottle of Prosecco. Check in and the valet parking ran smoothly, very friendly and efficient staff. The room was small and the tea tray had not been replenished. A call to Reception quickly sorted this out. The Prosecco was not in the room, our friends were on a different floor and they too had the same problem. We again rung reception who sent a bottle up. When it arrived it was completely warm, after 15 minutes in the ice bucket it was still un drinkable. We rung house keeping who put it in a fast freezer for 10 minutes after which it was ok. Our friends didn't drink theirs.

The bed was very comfortable but we had a poor nights sleep due to noise from the outdoor seating area which our room overlooked. We noticed large clumps of dust around the edge of the room. Breakfast was fine, as one would expect from a Marriott.

Overall we felt that the MacDonald Hotel was far superior and will not be returning to the Marriott V&A, offer or no offer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank AmandaWoolley
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Afternoon tea as a treat with 4 friends. Absolutely amazing. Service was brill. Nothing was too much trouble. Plenty of gorgeous food and the scones were to die for. Can't wait to go back again very soon!

• Stayed July 2014