“Wonderful Sleep!”

Ranked #24 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Sleep!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights ovewr a weekend and really liked the hotel. We were given an immediate upgrade to a VIP executive room on arrival and without asking. The Receptionist and concierge staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The valet parking worked well. Our room was spacious and clean and the air con was extremely efficient - excellent as it was 28 degrees outside! The building is lovely, with period features and very well appointed. There was a wedding at the hotel on one night but we didn't hear a thing in our room. The bed was so so comfortable and the linen good quality and spotless - I had the best nights sleep in ages. The view from the room wasn't great - the back of the hotel, overlooking where valet parking is located and above the service entrance to the hotel and where staff congregate for a chat and a smoke, but it didn't really bother us as we kept the windows closed. At £16.95 the breakfast was a bit pricey, but we found several places more realistically priced within a short walk of the hotel. The hotel is in an excellent position for all that central Manchester has to offer. When we came to check out we had been charged for 2 nights parking for 2 cars, when we only have one car. The only gripe I have was that the Receptionist was very frosty when dealing with this. She removed the additional cost but that was the end of our conversation with her, no apology and we were quickly dismissed with none of the usual enquiries about how we had found our stay, safe journey home etc etc! Quite a contrast to the very friendly welcome from one of her colleagues on arrival. However, we will certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the river.
2 Thank willyw8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed 1 night to celebrate my husband's birthday and combined it with a trip to Coronation Street The Tour. I booked a duplex suite but when we checked in I found we had been allocated an ordinary suite instead. I went to reception to complain and luckily I had the copy of my booking from the web clearly stating a duplex suite as the receptionist at first appeared to be unwilling to move us. After consultation with a "manager" in a back office she came out and informed me there had been a system error and duly gave me the key for a duplex suite. This was very nice but a little disappointing as although it had a balcony ( 2 in fact ) the one off the living space had patio doors you were not allowed to open "in case some-one fell over it" ! and the one off the bedroom had no chairs to sit out on and even if it did you couldn't see anything as there was a very tall ledge blocking all of the view. It appeared these balconies are only used by smokers as there were several used cigarette butts on the ground. On a positive the bed was very comfortable and the bathrooms also very clean and spacious but there were several areas in the room that clearly had not seen a duster for sometime. The hotel itself is very attractive, and the bar and restaurant we found very comfortable and tasteful and the meal we had in the evening was lovely and well priced. Breakfast was also very good and the service friendly and helpful. Overall this was a good hotel for visiting the Coronation Street Tour and the city but I would not pay the extra for a duplex suite if I were to stay again.

2 Thank Karen11101
Brentwood UK
Reviewed July 27, 2014

A converted warehouse with wooed beams gave so much character to the hotel. Room was "compact" but ok. All modern and bathroom good size with bath towels that were huge. Free wifi in the public area meant I could work all day with a great connection. Very hot outside so aiecon having difficulty in keeping room cool.

Room Tip: Rooms highest get the better view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Last week I went for afternoon tea with my friends. The service was fantastic and very professional. We were seated overlooking the river which was nice. The cutlery, plates and cups didn’t look very clean though and the milk was already on the table which was strange (as you don’t know how long it’s been there). Plus milk should be kept cold not of a room temperature. The afternoon tea was unusual as the dishes weren’t presented on the usual 3 tiered plating system but I liked it as it matched with the green sofa. There was a nice selection of sandwiches and they were delicious!! I loved the fillings and the types of bread. We were only given one scone each (usually you get one plain and one raisin). They were kept warm in a box and they were very tasty. The clotted cream was good and we were given strawberry and raspberry jam. The only cake that I liked was the ‘chocolate type brownie macaron’ whilst the others were rubbish. The cake selection could definitely use some work!

Conclusion: I’d only come back again if they made the cakes as delicious as the sandwiches.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank nixyi
VA_Manchester, Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Mixitnix ,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Afternoon Tea at the hotel. I hope you enjoyed the quirky presentation albeit very different from so many Traditional Afternoon Tea offerings through the city.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your sandwich selection and scones, however I do understand that you had problems with the cake selection given to you on the day.

The Afternoon tea menu is currently our summer offering and will be changing as we approach the Autumn months. I have passed your comments onto the Head Chef and Senior Sous Chef who are responsible for coming up with the cake offerings on the menu and asked them to look into the recipe's and presentation which is being used on our current offering.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel over the coming months to savour our Autumn menu or our Festive Afternoon Tea in the months leading up to Christmas.

Many Kind Regards

Penny Oldham
Food& Beverage Manager
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My Wife and I has One night at the Marriott Victoria & Albert, from the moment you arrive the customer service is very good. All the staff are extremely friendly. The valet parking works very well.

The Bed in room 409 was very comfortable.

This is a great base if you are going to the Coronation street attraction, only 5 minute walk.

Well done Marriott..

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on many occasions, however, our latest stay on Sat 26th July left a lot to be desired, it has certainly gone downhill!! When we arrived only 1 of the 2 lifts were working, it took 8 minutes to access to the lift, when we got to our room (336) it looked very nice and the king bed was comfortable, however, whilst the room had a view over the canal it also overlooked a car park building site on the other side of the canal, early in the morning the machinery could be clearly heard from the building site, also the room had an interconnecting door to the adjoining room, the connecting door was so thin that all night we could everything that was "going on" in that adjoining room, thus we didn't get a great nights sleep. On the Saturday night when we returned to the hotel after a night out we went to the bar at 11pm for a drink and a snack, we placed an order for 2 sandwiches, it took nearly an hour for these to be served, not good, but the waiter did apologise and didn't charge us for the sandwiches. When we went to the lift to go to our room neither of the 2 lifts were working, this was 1215am, my wife has a disability and therefore we could not use the stairs, I approached the reception desk and advised them that the lifts were not working and that my wife could not use the stairs, the young man on the desk said he would get a colleague to show us to the "service lifts" to use, this colleague arrived at the reception desk 20 minutes later to take us to the service lifts, this wait was simply too long and not acceptable. When we went down to breakfast it took another 10 minutes to wait for the 1 lift that was working, another guest waiting with us told us that yesterday he got stuck in the lift when it failed, the hotel had to get the Fire Brigade out to free him from the lift, the hotel management offered that guest a free drink at the bar as compensation! Breakfast service was poor, staff couldn't remember if we had ordered tea or coffee and items on the hot buffet were not refilled quickly enough. All in all not a good stay, at check out I was not asked if we had enjoyed our stay, I therefore made a point of advising him of all the issues we had encountered, his response was simply "sorry, I will let the General Manager know", we were offered no compensation, just an insincere sorry! Next time when we need to stay in Manchester we will have to stay elsewhere, probably the Radisson, which by the way does the most fantastic Afternoon Tea for just £18.95, far better value than the Afternoon Tea at Marriott V&A or Cloud 23 at Hilton which we have had before. Sorry Marriott V&A, you failed to impress us on this occasion.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the front entrance to the hotel, avoid rooms overlooking the canal that face...
1 Thank Darran B
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We booked this hotel for an overnight stay at the beginning of July when we did the Corrie tour. After booking I read some reviews and wondered what we'd let ourselves in for. I tend to complain a lot. I couldn't fault this hotel. Check in was easy with lovely welcoming staff. The room was a good size, clean and nicely furnished. "Fever Pitch" (World Cup related) which was loud was happening across the road. Fady at reception was very helpful in finding us a suite in a quiet part of the hotel.
Breakfast offered a great selection of good quality, hot and cold foods.
We would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends