“Lovely weekend stay!”

Ranked #26 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Lovely weekend stay!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We spent one night here for a short weekend visit to Manchester and were quite pleased with the hotel's location, decor, bed-comfort and the great service we got from the staff. It wasn't exactly the best value for money given that you have to pay for internet access (I thought free wifi was standard across most hotels in the Mariott family, at least all the ones we've stayed at over the years) so that was a little off-putting but not enough to make us not enjoy our trip. The hotel is located about 15 minutes walk to the Deansgate/Quay Street intersection from which you can go in any direction and enjoy the sights and sounds of Manchester, which is truly a wonderful city. The bed was very comfortable and although we didn't dine at the in-house restaurant, instead opting to explore what Manchester had to offer, we'd heard that the restaurant was pretty good, so maybe we'll check it out on our next visit. Overall, it was a really good experience and we'll definitely be staying there at our next visit to Manchester.

Room Tip: The hotel is slightly outside the city centre on one of the canals, so not a whole lot of views to c...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

On arrival to the hotel you instantly feel like its a 5 star service, the hotel decor is beautiful and the staff on reception were very helpful, very professional and really friendly. The room was beautiful with wooden beams and stone walls overlooking the river. We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely stay here again! Unfortunately the couple in the room next door decided to have a drunken argument at 3am however I was very ill so I was awake anyway.

We never had any of the food however the people we were staying with did have food and said that it's worth the money and they really enjoyed their breakfast.

The only bad point that I have to make is regarding car parking which was very confusing, the hotel information says a car park on site however this is really confusing and when I arrived I went into the short stay car park next to the hotel before realising so I then pulled into the hotel road however there was no sign of car parking and no one to help. I called the hotel and I reached the switch board who told me concierge would come out and I could go in a pay for parking inside, no one came. I went onto Spinningfields car park which is close by and £18 overnight. The car parking instructions need to be more clear on this.

Room Tip: Ask for a king side bed rather than 2 doubles - you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend came to this hotel for the weekend. We had fantastic time the rooms are very clean and well looked after and all the staff very helpful and friendly. The breakfast in the morning is delicious. We will definitely recommend this hotel. Hopefully we will return soon as its close to city centre with nice walk in the sunshine. Thanks again for making are weekend break saw special xx

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Normandy Park, Washington
Reviewed March 2, 2014

The location is good, close to downtown Manchester. The staff are all very polite and service oriented. The building has a unique style. Lots of timbers, and wood. My room was clean and large enough.

The mattress was not comfortable, with large lumps, like a hide-a-bed. There was a large wooden column in my room (see pic). The shower was great, if you are 5'3" or shorter.

Room service was speedy and tasty, even in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: try the mattress first.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
VA_Manchester, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear small_kahuna,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your recent stay with us.
Delighted to hear that you found our team to all be very polite and service orientated as this is something we pride ourselves on. I am really surprised to read your comments regarding the mattress, Marriott beds are rightly regarded as some of the most comfortable beds anywhere. We will of course review this mattress and ensure it is replaced. As the hotel has been lovingly converted from what was originally 2 Victorian warehouses, some of the rooms do have varying ceiling heights, which I think adds to the character of the hotel. Its great to hear that your night room service was speedy and tasty.
Thank you again for your kind words and we very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I took my wife for a spot of lunch because the hotel has a beautiful canal side conservatory.
Having entered the hotel ,I asked a member of staff what was the procedure for lunch.
Find yourself a seat and someone will attend to your order.
We found our seat but were told we couldn't sit there only there was a conference on.
Ok so we moved .
Ordered drinks(oops,sorry wrong drinks were brought)
No sugar and I'm afraid we've no teaspoons left !
Ordered food,(30 minutes pass, finished drinks, No food)
Enquired after food,Oops sorry and 15 minutes later food arrived.
Not the food we ordered and they looked like they'd been thrown together by a 6 year old.
The Roast Chicken and stuffing on brown bread,Was in fact Roast chicken but on white Oh and No stuffing and the salad was a single lettuce leaf between my 2 slices of dry white bread.
It would appear that if you want to be looked after you can only be part of a group ie "conference".So don't dare to wander in willy nilly of the street.
I won't be calling in again .
There are plenty of lunch time locations in and around Manchester who would cherish our company.

Not Happy

Martin

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bethk01, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Martin,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring to our attention the problems you encountered during your recent visit to our hotel.

I am sorry that you felt that the conference group took priority over your needs, I assure you this would never be our intention. You should have indeed been seated in an area that was not reserved for other guests and not left to find your own table.

I have spoken to our Executive Chef regarding the sandwich that you received and he has addressed this with the team that was on that day. We pride ourselves on our menu offering and food quality and in this instance have let you, and ourselves down.

However, I would like to thank you again for your comments, all feedback whether positive or negative enables us to reflect on what we do and train our staff accordingly. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and that we can show you how we normally operate.

heysham
Reviewed February 25, 2014

As a Rewards customer and Travel Advisor I booked this hotel as a special Birthday treat along side a theatre break for my partner. I have stayed at many Marriotts before and always loved this chain. On arrival we checked in and decided to start off my partners birthday celebrations with a few drinks in the bar. As we entered we were told we could only sit in a small corner as the whole of the bar and restaurant was being used for filming Coronation st. we were unable to go to the bar but staff would bring them to us . while we were having our drinks on a number of occasions a loud voice was raised and everyone was told to be silent.....whilst filming! I honestly never expected to spend my afternoon whispering to my partner and being told to be quiet...a number of other guests were very annoyed and complained a number of times also as myself. In the end we went and sat in reception finishing off our drinks. I never paid to stay at the Marriott to have most of the hotel out of bounds...I was totally disgusted at this. If we were told in advance I would have changed hotels and had a much better time. I did voice my concerns and had my room refunded to me at check out....This to me was the least they could have done...but our special birthday getaway was totally spoilt!! The only good thing I can say is the Hotel staff were very nice and felt very sorry for them as the amount of complaints they were receiving was shocking.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
VA_Manchester, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Helenb89,
Whilst we were aware that Coronation Street were filming for a upcoming storyline, we did not anticipate that this would encroach on those whom were using our facilities during that time. The filming was taking place during the day and was moving round from area to area, so we should have ensured that any impact on those in residence was minimal.
I am delighted that my colleague however acted appropriately and removed the charges for your accommodation for the inconvenience on what was a special occasiona and its pleasing to hear that you felt the team were very nice and handled the situation professionally.
Thank you again for your comments and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
manchester
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

we were here for a family wedding. the hotel took care of our. needs. and catered the wedding. well. , on leaving next day noticed we we had left a white dress shirt with cuff Link in room , on contacting housekeeping. who were helpful. they have not turned up. apparently if they've been swept up in the laundry it is unlikely to come back. I find this. frustrating. how can they disappear. !!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Dunagothere,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us following your recent stay at our hotel. I have discussed this comment with my Head Housekeeper and she has advised that she recalls having the conversation with you on the morning of the 17th February and advised that unfortunately the item had not been found on the Saturday after departure. She also recalls the conversation on the 19th February, where she highlighted that she had followed this up with the linen company and despite extensive searches at their depot they have advised that the shirt was not found in the laundry.
I am sorry that this experience has tainted your view somewhat on what I understand was a fabulous day for the happy couple.
If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.