“Nice Hotel”

Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #22 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stopped here just for 1 night but we were really impressed. Rooms are lovely and spacious and very clean. We opted for a suite room which was slightly more expensive but worth it as we got a sitting room with dining table so plenty of room. The restaurant and bar area are a lovely place to enjoy a meal and drinks. Breakfast was great with plenty of choice. Ideal location for a night out around Manchester. Loved it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bethk01, Food & Beverage Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear IanPLancashire,

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write such a glowing report for us here at the Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel.

I am so pleased that you were looked after so well during your time with us, it is our aim to make all of our guests feel special and I have passed on your praise our Restaurant and Bar manager personally.

We have just launched our new restaurant menu, along with an extensive new drinks list to enhance our offerings even further so I do hope you get the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our rooms, I'm glad you enjoyed your night in one of our suites.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Marriott Properties are always top shelf. The level of service at Marriott Manchester was excellent and made my business trip more relaxing and enjoyable. The staff were professional and very friendly. Easy to work with. Highly recommended if you plan a trip to this area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear MarkO95,

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write such a kind review for us here at the Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, in the heart of Manchester.

I am so pleased that you were looked after so well during your time with us, and you felt our staff were not just professional but friendly too.

I do hope you get the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Me and my husband decided to stay in Manchester and we've had our fair share of disappointing hotel stays. With it being Christmas we decided to go central and also decided it was more of a trip for Christmas shopping rather than a pleasurable stay. Up popped The Marriott Hotel Victoria & Albert. It was perfectly situated near town, close to shops and the Christmas vibe.

Upon arrival we were greeting with a Christmas feel straight away, with a towering Christmas tree in the foyer. We saw the reception was a little busy with arrivals but they were cheery, happy and very welcoming but we were seen to straight away. Check-in went smoothly, I liked the fact they up-sold their package deals which we were reluctant at first but took advantage of the dinner inclusive deal for both nights of our stay.

The room we were given was beautiful, with a rustic feel which was warm, comfortable (without being small!) and the exposure of the beams and original brick was filled with character and history. I fell in love straight away. The bathroom was spotless (I'm a clean freak) and as was the carpet, bedding, desks and areas where you wouldn't normally look but I would. After unpacking our bags we were pretty ready to go hit the shops but we wanted a bite to eat first and decided to go to the bar.

It was massive and so it should for a hotel this size. The lay out was perfect, it was welcoming and it was friendly to the eyes. The staff that were on had smiles on their faces and looked straight to our needs before we even sat down. We were provided with a menu that, given the time, I would of had every dish on that menu. It was enticing and mouth watering. Because we just wanted a bite, I just had a steak ciabatta and my husband had the Club. Both were beautifully presented and tastes just as beautiful. The house cut fries were to die for! The waiter was attentive without being too 'in your face'. He was cheery, polite and provided us with some much needed directions, shop recommendations and any events going on ie: The Christmas Markets. We thanked him and then headed out.

We came back 4 hours later, shopping bags full and went to the bar for a drink where the waiter who saw to our eating needs came over to us, remembered who we were and asked us if we went to the places he recommended. Taken aback by this, we smiled and thanked him for the information and we chatted a while about what we did, he was obviously interested in our day which was really nice and it was genuine. He asked us what we wanted and I asked for strong drink after the busy day we've had and he brought us our drinks. Thanked him and we took them to our room to refresh, shower and get ready.

The shower was beautiful, nice on my sore shoulder problem I've got. The cute little condiments in the bathroom was very nice, I wish I had box full of them to take home! Anyway, I went to lay on my bed and after 30 mins my husband woke me up telling me to get ready as I fell asleep. The bed was that comfy, I unknowingly fell asleep! I needed a mattress like this!

Because we were sold a dinner inclusive deal we took advantage and went downstairs for a drink and eat in their restaurant. The same waiter was there, talking and laughing to other customers, clearly he treated every customer the same way. We went to the bar where a nice guy with a tie was all too happy to see to our needs and took our order and told us to take a seat. This touch was nice.

The original waiter who we found out his name was Izzy, saw us and asked us if we wanted to eat in their restaurant tonight and we advised him we had a dinner inclusive deal. Delighted by this he brought us over menus, advised us of the specials, wine deal that day and also if he wanted him to reserve a table. Having worked in hospitality for over 15 years, I like to think I'm bit of a perfectionist.

We went to our table which was situated next to a river, which we found out, through Izzy, that it was the infamous River Irwell. We had a 3 course meal (I can't remember what I had as we had 2 meals over our stay there - but my husband had the lamb to the recommendation of Izzy who described it very well to us. The only reason I remember is because my husband has not stopped talking about how beautifully it was down and presented!). After delivering each meal; starter, mains and desert, Izzy would check on us to make sure the meal was fine, which of course it was more than fine! We did notice that the restaurant was only staffed by Izzy himself and it was quite busy but he was still able to deliver great standards not just to ourselves but to other customers. At the end of our desert, he stopped, asked us how our evening was going and what we were up to next. We asked him where the best bars were and he told us all the areas of Manchester and what we wanted from Manchester. His knowledge of the city was invaluable as we would of been lost. We told him we wanted cocktails and a bar that wasn't full of music blaring in our ears but has a great vibe. He told us to go to Spinningfields which was less than 5 minute walk which was perfect!

We left with smiles on our faces and came back to see if Izzy was around but we were advised he had left. We got talking to a lovely young Scottish girl who told us about how Scotland is beautiful at this time of the year. She was attentive, polite and shared a few jokes at the bar with her. She made us a lovely Irish Coffee with the cream sitting perfectly on top. So this ends our first day.

We unfortunately missed breakfast as we were pretty tired but we headed straight to the bar when we eventually woke up and got dressed. We were greeted by a busy bar than yesterday and we saw that there was an event of some sort going on. But that didn't stop the same guy with the red tie on being welcoming and he apologised for the noise of the room which we didn't mind as it was, after all, a busy hotel. We had some lunch, which again was mouthwatering and left for the the whole day. We came back and straight to our rooms to get ready for our last meal at the hotel tonight.

We made sure to book in advanced with the reception and they were polite and saw that we would be dined tonight despite the level of business. We came down around 7:30 and boy it was busy but in a Christmas way (I think it was an office Christmas party). The atmosphere was buzzing and we couldn't help but get caught up talking to people who were enjoying themselves. Once again, Izzy was working away, talking, delivering food and drink. The Scottish girl was at the bar, laughing with the customers despite it's business and there was this tall gent who delivered our ice bucket earlier. I can only describe him as a Big Friendly Giant.

We again sat in the restaurant and it was slightly busier than yesterday but that didn't stop Izzy doing everything he did with us yesterday. Recommendation, upsell of the wine, specials and also the routinely check-backs. He did have a guy in a suit helping him deliver the food and obviously the system worked. I must point out, I have owned restaurants in the past and I know how things should be done and tonight, it would be something I wished I had in my restaurant. The man in the suit was just like Izzy; attentive, welcoming and genuinely interested in our needs. So once again a perfect night. We headed off out for drinks again and came back and straight to bed.

In the morning we wanted a full breakfast as it was our last day. We decided to wake up early and head for breakfast then straight out shopping since we had a late check-out. We were greeted by a smiling Izzy! He saw us, smiled, asked us how our stay was last night and called us by our second name. He sat us down and told how the breakfast worked and if we wanted coffee or tea. I could already tell our day was going to be good.

When we left, we told him that we were leaving today and he was genuinely sad to see us leave and asked us what time we would be back - we told him around 4pm and that he would see us to say goodbye, if he was still there. I swear the lad lives in the hotel as we finished eating around 10pm the night before and it was 8am and he was still here with a cheery smile on his face. The breakfast was to die for! Great selection of food on offer, great lay-out and a busy atmosphere. By a guess of their system, it was perfect. A host who controlled the seating, someone who took away plates and cleared tables, coffee, tea and drinks delivery and someone who made sure the buffet was stocked. All in all. Perfect.

We left and came back around 4pm and Izzy saw us and said that he was just about to leave work but he stayed and chatted to us and made sure we had enjoyed our stay.

So overall, I think you could have all the flash of a hotel, all the celebrity recommendations, the perfect cocktail menu, a luxurious food menu and an amazing event going on but one thing I would choose above all those is the staff. The staff I cannot fault one bit. Reception, room service, restaurant & bar and breakfast: they make the stay. It was just an added bonus that the hotel itself was beautiful. I would highly recommend this hotel and I would also continue to recommend this hotel to friends and family visiting Manchester.

Keep up the good work!
(sorry for the late review, it's been a busy January)
Mr & Mrs Hamilton Room 315!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bethan J, Food & Beverage Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear SHamilton2014,

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write such a glowing report for us here at the Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, in the heart of Manchester.

I am so pleased that you were looked after so well during your time with us, it is our aim to make all of our guests feel special and I have passed on your praise and thanks to both Izzy, Shireen (the Scottish girl you mentioned) and Matthew, our Restaurant and Bar manager personally.

I will also ensure that our Executive chef sees your kind comments about our food quality and menus. We are launching our new restaurant next week, along with an extensive new drinks list to enhance our offerings even further.

I do hope you get the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed one night.
Arrived late and although there was a mix up with my room - it was a good night.

breakfast was good and service fine.

Best bit was the shower.
and pleased that the iron worked ok and didn't spill water everywhere

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Hantsjonny,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your recent stay with us here at the Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, in the heart of Manchester.

I'm glad to hear that although there was a slight mix up with your room that you had a great stay and that you enjoyed our breakfast and room ameneties.

Thank you again for your kind words and I hope we have the opportunity of inviting you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Fantastic Time! Stayed Saturday night to celebrate Wedding Anniversary and on check-in was upgraded to a beautiful room and also given complimentary breakfast. The staff were fantastic, helpful and very pleasant. We went out in the afternoon for drinks and returned to the room to find cake, cookies and card from Hotel staff. The hotel is lovely, spotless and you wouldn’t know anyone else was staying as the rooms are so quite. The location is ideal for the city centre and they also offer a concierge service for parking at a very reasonable price! I would certainly recommend this hotel and am already looking to book again for a future stay! A special time personally for my wife and I was made extra special by the Marriot Victoria & Albert hotel. Thank you so much for a lovely time and making us feel so special!!!

Dear DeanT957,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your anniversary stay with us and that you felt that the staff were fantastic. As you mentioned, our hotel is ideal for the city centre whilst still mantaining a quiet and peaceful environment to relax in.

We aim to make all of guests feel special and cared for and I'm so glad to hear that in this instance we exceeded.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed for one night to celebrate my 40th birthday - from check-in to picking up our cases from the concierge the next afternoon (check out was 12 but we went shopping), the staff were excellent and very friendly. The gentleman on check-in congratulated me on my birthday and we received an upgrade to an executive room. The room was spacious, clean, the bed extremely comfortable and the wooden beams and exposed brick wall added character. We had no issues with noise at any point during the stay and the buffet style breakfast was excellent. When we returned to our room after a meal out I was delighted to receive a card and cake slices to congratulate me. The hotel is only 5 minutes walk to the centre of Manchester. We will return!

1  Thank Caroline M

Dear feista99,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your birthday here with us at the hotel and that our staff looked after you so well, we pride ourselves on looking after all our guests on a personal level and will always do everything we can to ensure each guests stay is as special as it can be.

Thank you for highlighting the superb character of our rooms, the exposed brickwork and beams really do add character to what is a fantastic building and also for mentioning the excellent buffet breakfast you enjoyed the next morning.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

very Good , easy parking good surroundings , excellent breakfast till 11 am.
Rooms excellent, bed the best i have been in, ask staff for best road approach.
rowers training in the river beside hotel.
They have a pool 150 meters up the road.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear 106Markj106,

I'm delighted to hear that you thought our breakfast and rooms were excellent and that the bed was the best you've ever been in. We are very lucky to be situated alongside the River Irwell and many of our guests are regularly treated to rowers training on the river.