“Solid, reliable Marriott”

Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #22 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This is my third stay at the Marriott Victoria and am presently here now. As my headline states, this is a reliable Marriott, British style. The rooms are clean and I have found them to be quiet. This trip I was upgraded since I am a platinum member and the executive suite is very nice, but of course the size of the rooms does not compare to US Marriott, which does not bother me at all as I'm here for work. The lobby bar area is comfortable and has pretty good eats as well as free WiFi. The hotel is located about a 5 minute walk to city Centre, but is just enough away to be quiet and not in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the city. The staff have always been friendly and responsive, but of course customer service on this side of the pond is not the intense customer service of back home, which again I'm fine with. Overall I have been happy with my stay at the Marriott Manchester and will come here again and again for work. Manchester is a great city by the way. One small criticism is that there is no in house gym, but this is rectified by the fact that they allow for entry into a full service gym 5 minutes walk away, which has everything that I need (treadmills, ellipses, pool and machines). I don't have any major criticism of this hotel and would recommend it to anyone staying in downtown Manchester.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Very friendly staff, spacious rooms, super-comfy beds and a central location. It's only a short 5 minutes walk to the city centre and shops. The ambience was relaxed and I would definitely stay here again. We had a pleasant view over the River Irwell and the hotel is located in a quiet part of Water Street, so a peaceful night's sleep is guaranteed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the River Irwell.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed for 1 night and were impressed with the quality of this hotel. Every member of staff we spoke to were professional and courteous. As with all Marriott's, the staff are what makes the brand.
The rooms were well decorated and I really liked the exposed brick walls and ceiling beams. They were well furnished, however lacking a plug socket by the bed to charge my phone at night. The only real downside to the rooms was the bathroom that needed a bit of a renovation. several stains and marks all around.
The hotel is a bit of a walk from the main areas of Manchester but close to spinningfields and Deansgate if you like the nightlife and museums.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed the one night when in Manchester for weekend - arrived about 10 am not expecting to check in but thought we could leave our bag but very helpful receptionist checked and rooms were available so checked us in. Lovely big room and very clean and tidy. Not far to walk to town centre or the Bridge water Hall where we were going in the evening. Good rate for room but did not include breakfast and thought it expensive so went elsewhere. Had a fantastic evening meal in restaurant at night and reasonably priced. Would stay again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed here for two nights as a couple to discover Manchester.
The hotel staff were polite and the hotel is very clean and good location to town.
The hotel charges £16 a night for valet parking but we parked in the NCP open air just next to the hotel for £8 for 24 hrs.
We didn't eat here or have a drink so cannot comment on that.
Our room was on the top floor and you can here the extractor fans going so if you are a light sleeper you may want to check where your room is.
The shower/bathroom was clean, but the shower curtain was a bit moldy.
The room was very clean and comfy with lovely old beams in the roof.
The bed was a little soft for me and they had duck feather pillows (also very soft) so if you have allergies get them changed.
Would go back again

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Got to be short and sweet as went for Christmas market 2 weeks ago so after all the beer don't remember much.

Great hotel, breakfast was lovely and the restaurant was nice and plush.

Got a great rate wouldn't spend too much in the room as don't think you would stay in the hotel that much.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014

No idea why but I assumed this was going to be another hotel let down. Probably because I always seem to luck out in hotels but anyway, this was nothing short of perfect. First impressions were brilliant, looks beautiful from outside and in. The staff are polite and seemingly always smiling so no complaints there. The room was bigger than I expected and had some of the retained character from whatever building it was before. Bed was comfortable but I found myself waking up quite often with a bit of a sweat on, the room wasn't overly warm so I can only guess there's something on the bed that stops it 'breathing' but either way, that was a minor gripe.
Restaurant was spot on, looked gorgeous and the food wasn't a let down. Top tip - Try the gnocchi, its delicious!!

All in all I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

Just FYI, hotel doesn't have its own car park but there is one yards away from the front reception at a cost of £10 (if I remember correctly) for the night. The payment machine takes cards as well which is handy.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple