“Misrepresented”

Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #24 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed August 16, 2013

You can only make one first impression. When we arrived the first thing we saw was the entire building encased in scaffolding and a large truck surrounded by workmen blocking the main entrance to the foyer. When we proceeded to check in I advised the duty manager that had we been aware that renovations were in progress that we would have definitely made other arrangements. He agreed with me and told me it was company policy not to notify potential clients for that very same reason and that could I please complain to head office.
We had booked two rooms for one night but only one reservation could be found even though I had all paperwork confirming our two rooms on the same booking. After some time a second room was allocated and we proceeded to our rooms.
The first thing that strikes you as you enter is a huge timber beam that dissects the room just above head height and a vertical supporting beam that is in the middle of the room.Ok time to have shower and relax, go to the bathroom and climb into the bathtub/shower and even though I am only 6ft tall I cannot stand up straight without my head hitting the ceiling, our son who was occupying the second room is 6ft 2in.
The next morning we checked out and proceeded on our way.That night I was checking my credit card statement online only to find an extra room charge for a no show ( the missing reservation ) after numerous phone calls and emails, a lot of wasted time and money a refund finally appeared minus the usual bank charges for international transactions.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris K
There are newer reviews for Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed for our 5th wedding anniversary. When we arrived we parked our car in the hotel car park, we checked in and was given a lovely large king bedded room on the 2nd floor. We then explored the city and had a few drinks locally before returning to the hotel to get ready to go out for the evening. It was then I thought we should make the hotel aware were we have parked. I was told they appreciated my honesty and was later charged £16 for the over night parking! I must of missed the small sign the staff told me about on the way in. I would of moved my car to the car park just next door for £8 for 24 hours but by that point myself and my husband had both had a drink. Apart from this expensive miss hap we had a lovely stay at the hotel and a very nice breakfast in the morning. I would stay here again and park next door.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were a party of 6 staying on 9th august for my dads 60th birthday surprise. All of the staff were so lovely and helpful but special thanks have to go to penny the bar manager, who seemed to time everything perfectly from drinks and lunch to the bday cake, she was on hand to help make sure it all went well, and Amy and her colleague on reception who did everything to make our dads surprise go smoothly, we really appreciate all of your help, from reception staff at check in to waitresses in restaurant, you were all so helpful. My dad had an amazing birthday in manchester, it was a lovely hotel and I would definately stay again when I visit Manchester.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
VA_Manchester, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Jen0151,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide us with some feedback following your stay here at the Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel in the heart of Manchester.
I am delighted to hear that the team and Penny in particular was exceptionally helpful and accommodating and made sure that your Dad's 60th birthday was a great surprise.
Amy is a new member to the team and we are delighted to have her here at the hotel on our reception.
I will of course pass on your thanks to the teams and the individuals you highlighted.
We very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you all back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is a very imposing building , perfect check-in and we were given a room overlooking the river which even with the window open was very quiet , the room itself was huge with exposed beams . The staff were very attentive at all times especially in the dining room for breakfast , all in all a very welcoming hotel and we will certainly try and get there for another stay .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andy B

Dear Andy B,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide us with an online review following your recent stay with us at the Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel in Manchester.
Delighted to hear that you loved the imposing nature of the building, it really is fantastic that they have retained the charm and originality of the 2 warehouses 'Victoria' and 'Albert' and converted this into a hotel with individuality and personality. Great to hear that the staff were attentive and welcoming throughout your stay.
We very much hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Book this hotel with confidence. Marriott hotels have fab beds and linen and great pillows ! This hotel also has a nice setting for a central hotel. The bar area is nice and there is a great outside area also. The staff are always friendly, courteous and professional. The wife and I mark this as one of our favourite hotels. Its a short walk to the centre of it all ! Enjoy.

Dear Stev1e,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide us with an online review following your recent stay with us at the Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel in the heart of Manchester.
Delighted to hear that this hotel is one of your favourites, without question our greatest asset is our team - its lovely to hear that you always find them to be friendly, courteous and professional. Marriott beds are amazing I couldnt agree with you more...
We very much look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

At check in we were allocated room 401 and upon arrival in the room we should have realised that there was a problem with the air conditioning as there had been a fan left out although no notification from the check-in staff. We promptly switched on the air con and left quickly for our dinner reservation that we were already late for. When we later came back to the hotel we realised that not only did the air-con not work, but that we were also not able to open the windows. We complained to the duty manager who informed us that the hotel was fully booked and that we couldn't switch rooms before the next day and offered us £50 off our room rate. This was fine, until later a man tried to get into our room, looking for his luggage as he had previously been allocated the room and had been moved, due to the lack of air conditioning. Further, at this stage, outraged complaints were made to reception and the duty manager as it was, by now, clear that staff had been fully aware of the problems in this room when it was allocated to us. We were eventually offered a refund for the first night but ended up spending a sleepless night in the hotel. Our room was subsequently changed the next day and was much better.
More problem were encountered at breakfast when we were left waiting about 15 mins for a free table due to the ineptitude of staff to clear vacant tables. Staff further attempted to charge us at check-out for internet access that we had been complimented.
All in all, with only a small exception, staff at the hotel were inept which was the biggest contribution to an unsatisfactory stay. I would not stay in this hotel ever again. Its only saving grace is proximity to Spinningfields and the city centre.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
VA_Manchester, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear vesmith_82,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with an online review following your stay with us.
I am sorry to hear that your experience was a disappointing one and in particular that you felt our team were not helpful or accommodating, as this is so very different to the feedback that we get everyday about our team.
Please feel free to contact me directly so that we can discuss these comments in more detail, and so that I can investigate them thoroughly.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Booked a hotel room as we had a free pass from the grandparents. Rooms are quite pricey for but this is central Manchester. Arrived to concierge who parked the car for us and carried our luggage in to the hotel already feeling like a rock star. Reception extremely pleasant and helpful and given us an "upgrade to a junior suite" Most appreciated! The room was excellent. Living area with bathroom followed by stair case up to the main bedroom and yet another bathroom with power shower. The usual 1st class Marriott comfey King sized bed along with the hundreds of pillows that comes as standard. I personally if had a choice would not stay at any other hotel group as Marriott ticks all the boxes for me!. Lovely stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a junior suite.

Dear HotelAdvisor90,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your recent stay with us at the Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, here in Manchester.
Great to hear that we made you feel like a 'rock star', and that the reception team were pleasant and helpful. Delighted you loved one of our Junior Suites and the comfy Marriott beds and abundance of pillows.
Glad you loved it, we love it too... hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon (you can even bring the kids...)