“Hardly four stars”

Ranked #26 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Toronto, Canada
“Hardly four stars”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel is a beautifully renovated wharehouse with some charm. It is well situated and not far from shopping and restuarants. The staff friendly and obliging.
Our room was slightly claustrophobic especially with scaffolding outsider the window and some posters blocking the light.
For the number of rooms the breakfast area is cramped and seating had to be found outside the breakfast area. The buffet breakfast was adequate but with limited offerings.
The internet often logged out when not in use and it was at times difficult and time consuming to reconnect. In addition the Internet wasn't free and we were only able to log on some of our devices.
There is no fitness facility - not even a treadmill or exercise bicycle. I was offered free entrance to a fitness club down the road called Bannatynes which is 7/8 minutes walk away but it hasn't the convenience of being on the premises.
In the room there is no mini bar. Even though we were here for four nights no restocking of soap or shampoo took place. On a more basic note we found thst there was no backup supply of toilet paper in the room and we had to ask for another roll. It appeared that the "delivery" of the supplies was late -whatever that meant !
The question is: would I stay here again? I never say never but will first see what else is on offer!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Surrey
Reviewed July 6, 2013

As a regular Marriott guest I am often lured back to this hotel out of loyalty, despite finding the location to be a bit out of the way. The hotel is a bit of an oddity in Manchester as its in an old converted warehouse, but it does have a relaxed feel and a lot of charm with the oak beams and its location besides the canal.

Rooms are average size with only a small box window and you have to be careful not to bang your head on the low beams in certain places if you’re over 6 foot. For some reason they’ve removed the minibar / fridge which leaves an empty void in the cupboard. There’s no free wifi and its very temperamental: on occasions I just can’t connect no matter what I try then the next day its perfectly fine. There are no fitness facilities on site although there is free access to Bannatynes Club which is a 5-7 minute walk away. This is fine when the weather is good but it’s put me off exercising a number of times when it’s cold or raining.

Breakfast is decent and is served in the restaurant where you get a nice view of the canal with rowers going up and down. I’ve never tried the restaurant as it always appears completely empty, but fortunately there’s a number of restaurants nearby in the Spinningfield areas.

Service here can be very hit and miss, they can be super friendly or downright rude. I must have visited the hotel over half a dozen times and they still don’t have my rewards no. saved on their system. Then on several occasions the receptionists have argued with me at checkout that I’m not a gold member and was liable for internet costs, despite presenting my gold card at check-in. Of the two Marriott chain properties in Manchester I’d recommend the soon-to-be refurbished Renaissance for its superior service.

Room Tip: Request a river facing room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Quiet a disappointing experience. The check was longish and not really friendly. I was allocated to a room on the first floor, good size but very basic fit out. The windows were high up and small, letting in very little daylight and giving you the impression your room was in a basement. The shower is in the bathtub and takes a while to figure out how it works. Not to the hotels doing, I fell quiet ill the evening and night of our stay. I try to order a clear soup which was not available, a bottle of mineral water would have set me back 7 Pounds (including the 3 Pound tray charge). The minibar has been removed from all rooms so I was running out of options. When asking if someone could provide me with a simple over the counter medication, I was told that they were not supposed to provide guests with medication...... I understand that, it is a world wide standard but when asking if someone would be prepared to fetch the medication, it was declined. So I ended up getting the medication myself and popped in a supermarket to by 1.5 liters if mineral water for 50P. Later that night I needed a doctor. They had doctors on call however none of them bothered to pitch, so I ended up going to A & E. The night concierge / manager was very accommodating and definitely showed more understanding! He did whatever he could within his means! I should have recollected his name, which I unfortunately did not. He was on duty on the night of the 3rd of July. As much as I understand the restrains on hotels in Europe battling with high labor cost and trying to make a margin, there is no excuse for poor service! At least the few employees that are on duty should be trained and they need to be empowered to serve their customers, especially when being asked for assistance in matters that are not part of the standard operating procedures! Overall, disappointing and would not recommend the hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank hansheijligers
Oklahoma
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here two nights in mid-June and were quite pleased. We were offered a good deal on an upgrade to a suite that turned out to be really cute and comfortable. It was a split-level with two bathrooms, one on each floor. Also, there were two TV's, one on each floor too, and a little living area downstairs. It was really fun. Also, there is free coffee and tea and a couple of cookies restocked every day in the room. Also, there was a nice view of the river and a tiny balcony that you couldn't go out on, but could enjoy the view. Our bed was very comfortable and we were in walking distance of the museums we wanted to see. We chose to leave our car at the hotel because we weren't from the area and didn't know the safety of leaving one's car in another lot. The price was reasonable and the valet service was extremely fast and friendly, and the guy didn't even appear to want to be tipped! Breakfast overlooking the river was very good, and very British in nature. We watched the boats go by as we ate. The only thing we wished for was a top sheet under the comforter, like they do in the U.S. But no other European hotels seemed to have a top sheet either. All in all, a great stay in Manchester!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Momallboys
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel a few times we have learned that we can park in the NCP Water Street car park for £8.00 for 24hrs rather than pay the £16.00 for the hotel parking. Our check in was very efficient and good and we were asked if we wanted to upgrade for £25.00 which also would include breakfast for 2 which would normally cost £16.50 pp. (This represented good value for money) The room was clean and tidy as we have come to expect from Marriott and a phone call from reception 10 mins later asked if everything was OK with the room which I thought was good customer care. We booked room service which was delivered quickly and we found the quality of food very good & prices reasonable. After being out in Manchester, we experienced a very comfortable nights sleep in an excellent King sized bed. Breakfast was taken overlooking the canal and the choice on offer was impressive. The only downside was that when we walked back to the car park through the hotel grounds there was a lot of broken glass, empty bottles and beer glasses left lying around obviously from the night before which I am sure would have been promptly cleaned - but none the less not very impressive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian W
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here for a friends wedding, the hotel did everything to ensure the day went wonderfully for the couple (no faults there). Guests from the wedding party had rooms at a reduced price and this seemed to reflect in the service to us. Although polite the staff on reception were slightly aloof, no one bothered to inform us that tea and coffee making facilities were on a tray in a bottom cupboard, these were only found when looking for the mini bar which didn't exist, also no info on the air con/ heating so room was very hot. On the plus side room was very comfortable with a great bed and the breakfast was fantastic

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the first time as a treat for my husband and I. Lovely mix of old and new decor and spacious comfortable rooms. Great service and river views. Only peeve was no tea and coffee in rooms but would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013