“So disappointed ”

Ranked #149 of 2,481 Restaurants in Manchester
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2017 via mobile

I used to live in Didsbury and was a regular visitor at Greens. I have lived in London for the last few years and so, on my latest visit to see my sister in Manchester, we planned what we thought was a long overdue trip to Greens on the Saturday night, despite there being a huge influx of vegan / veggie places to try in the city centre.

The food, as always was great (although the menu hadn't been significantly updated since my last visit) and contrary to what other diners have said I think that it represents good value for money - portions are substantial. The service however, was poor. It felt unwelcoming and the meal was incredibly rushed - starters and mains arrived swiftly, and while no one asked us how our food was, or how we were doing for drinks etc, they did hover to see whether we had finished several times. As one member of staff was clearing our mains plates another handed us a dessert menu, and asked if we were ready to order just minutes afterwards. When we did, dessert and coffees came immediately (coffees were cold when we drank them as we still had half a bottle of wine to get through.) Our table wasn't excessively late (8:30pm) and when we left there were still a few people eating so while I understand the staff have homes to go to, it felt unnecessary.

I would have raised this on the night but I wasn't given the opportunity. Overall, I really am so disappointed and certainly won't be back, however good the food is.

1  Thank Olivia B

Reviewed September 16, 2017 via mobile

Went last night with my cousin - she's the veggie, not me, but I love Greens anyway. I had the green Thai curry which was delicious with roasted squash and lovely sauce. Had the lemongrass ginger creme brûlée for pudding and can promise it's yum!!

Reviewed September 13, 2017

First and last time that I will visit this overpriced restaurant.

There were 7 in our party and we all agreed that the starters were very good, there was several disappointed around the table at the main courses that were served, cooments such as "bland" and "is this it?" were heard around the table, which came as a surprise given the reviews that we had read prior to booking.

There is obviously a "Didsbury Premum" to pay for dining here, but the £32 per head bill certainly wasn't justified by the quality of the food, the ambience or the service.

The best I can say is that this is an average restaurant that appears to be resting on its' laurels.

1  Thank Tim K
Reviewed September 10, 2017

Gorgeous food with lots of variety. The pistachio filo pie which I believe has been on the menu since day 1 is incredible and a generous size! (I took half of it home to eat!) Fantastic food and great drinks too.

Reviewed September 10, 2017

I haven't been to Green's for more than 20 years. Given that I have been vegetarian for 40 years, that says everything about that visit. I returned last week to celebrate my daughter's 30th birthday. The premises have been extended and the staff were very friendly and efficient. Sadly, there is little, if any, competition in South Manchester but based on this experience Green's, has set a very high standard. The food was very tasty, which is not always the case in vegetarian establishments. Staff were helpful and there was an ambience not present previously. Highly recommended - for both veggies and non-veggies. We will return.