“Excellent, clever food”

Ranked #107 of 2,329 Restaurants in Manchester
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My parents came to stay, and my mum is vegetarian, so googled for vegetarian food in Didsbury. Was very surprised to see this come up, as I'd never heard anyone mention it (maybe I hang out in the wrong circles), and that a celeb chef had a restaurant with such reasonable prices. Anyway, the menu looked fun, so booked.

We were all very impressed. Only one of the four of us was vegetarian, but none of us went wishing for meat to appear on our plates. Have had very disappointing foog in vegetarian restaurants, mostly when they are very imaginitive and simply swap out where meat would be for mushrooms or aubergines. The food was really very very good, and a great drinks selection as well. Good beers and wines, and a good non-alco selection (which I notice a lot now for my pregnant wife).

Simon RImmer - a litle word for you. Your cooking on Sunday Brunch in no way highlights how good a chef you are. Spend less time messing around with Tim Lovejoy, and show us what you can really do. Because it's very good!

There are newer reviews for Greens Restaurant - Didsbury

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Had heard they had a new chef and staff. Food was really good although my friend's Yorkshire pud was a bit over cooked. The chips were amazing and my goats cheese and beetroot puff parcel was yummy. Both had lemon tart which was beautiful but the portions were very skimpy for the price!

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

First off there were a number of good things about this place but unfortunately the expectation were probably far too high.
The restaurant is nicely situated and is bright and airy inside, the decor is lovely and the whole place has a nice relaxed feel to it.
Unfortunately this is a restaurant whose name is built on the reputation of it's food, the one aspect of this place that really let it down.
Now I did really enjoy my starter, the deep fried oyster mushrooms served in the style of crispy duck pancakes, however my wifes savoury cheesecake starter was a huge disappointment, bland and underseasoned, high on concept but not following through with the combination of flavours.
The main courses, not only mine and my wifes but our friends also were an all out potato feast. It is about the starchiest meal I have ever had. I chose the hallumi main course on the back of trying the vegi black pudding nibbles, however the black pudding with the main was mixed into a potato cake which killed all the lovely flavours. My wifes nut roast served with a mound of roast new potatoes, far too many to eat, and a small serving of cauliflower, basically lacked veg, in a vegi restaurant. My friends had the vegi sausage and mash which was just a plate of potato and the beetroot parcel which was little else other than pastry and beetroot.
I appreciate what they are trying to achieve, the concepts on the menu sound great when you read them but from this experience I feel that the ideas aren't fully realised to their maximum potential.
Overall I found the experience just a little too disappointing. I possibly built up the visit to myself too much beforehand.

3  Thank Jon B
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We've been going to Greens for 20 years. We used to love it when it was a small vegetarian restaurant on our doorstep. You could take your own wine and Simon Rimmer was an unknown. Then things started to change.. the staff got a bit snotty, the extension happened, you couldn't take your own wine, the prices went up and the food wasn't necessarily any better. However we went on Monday night and it was good. Still pricey but food was lovely, the waiter was brilliant and natural and the atmosphere has come back a bit. Good offers on for the festivities. No more changes Simon, it's just about right now. Save the ponsiness for your sister restaurant Earl.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Visiting friends in Didsbury and decided to go to Greens

Nice relaxed ambiance to the place at lunchtime

Had deep fried haloumi to start - it came with some sort of tapenade which overall made the starter way too salty. Needed to be accompanied by something sweeter to take the edge off the salty cheese

I went for a starter for my main as there was nothing I fancied on the main menu. Had Thai potato cake with a beautiful Asian slaw - nice dish and had a side order of chips which tasted like they'd been warmed up to me but my friend thought them lovely. Delish chocolate brownie for dessert (best part of the meal in my opinion) Service average

Not sure if I would be in any great hurry to go back but glad I tried it.