“Veggie Delight”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Veggie Delight”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I took my mum here for Mother's Day and I have to say the food was amazing.

I loved the crispy mushroom and pancackes starter and it was a great alternative to the traditional crispy duck and pancakes.

It was great coming to a restaurant who can serve amazing beautiful tasty food yet still accommodate a vegan without feeling like a freaky outsider.

The waiter did make a couple of little errors with the drinks but only in describing the Pinot noir as Pinot Grigio which to be honest no one really cares about as long as the Pinot noir was as good as it was.

I would heartily recommend a visit to greens to everyone. Vegan/veggie or omnivore. I've taken wife here before and she loved it even though she is traditional meat with every meal person.

“Very nice”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We ate here for my birthday, great atmosphere, busy for early evening but prompt service and tasty food. Would recommend a visit

England
“very disappointing”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We have been to Greens many times in the past, including from the very early days - so patrons over a period of 20 years. However, we haven't been in a few years.

Last weekend we entertained a vegetarian visitor and thought that Greens would be the ideal choice and booked a lunchtime table.

The restaurant itself is pleasant, well appointed and the menu is very good/extensive. The food itself, however, was very variable. Five of us ate and three of us were very disappointed and the other two were ambivalent.

So what was the problem?

1. one meal was lukewarm and served with lumpy mashed potatoes
2. another meal came with a plastic bottle top mixed in with noodles and vegetables
3. a third meal (gnocchi) comprised of 10 pieces of pasta and a tasteless sauce

If this wasn't enough, we sat down at 12.30, ordered some bread and olives and got these precisely 50 minutes later!!! The excuse was that there was a big party in ahead of us. In fact this was a party of 7 adults and one child - it seems they were just unprepared.

Our starters followed a further 20-25 minutes after the bread and olives. When I pointed out there was a bottle top in my meal, the waitress took the food away and said the top had 'fallen off a shelf'. I must admit I expected not to be charged for item, or to be offer a free drink or some simple act of good will..........but that never happened.

I see Mr Rimmer - the owner- on television on a frequent basis. Perhaps he should go back to base and take a look at what is going on?

I'm sorry to have to write this review as I have always enjoyed Greens and recommended it to many, many people for almost 2 decades. But frankly, this was such a poor experience that I felt the need to warn others.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Tonstok
Darlington, United Kingdom
“You have to try this vegetarian restaurant in Didsbury”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Owned by Simon Rimmer (of Sunday Brunch fame) this is simply the best vegetarian restaurant I have ever visited. I took my wife, son and his girlfriend for Sunday lunch partly out of curiosity and partly to give my wife whose been vegetarian for 30 years a pre Mother's Day treat. We had the taster/sharer to start, with warm Artisan bread "black pudding (which tasted uncannily like the real thing), which proved a great hit with us all. 10 out of 10 for the starter. We each chose something different for a main course, Cheshire cheese and Basil sausage, Roasted Squash, Leek and Ricotta Puff, Truffle Mushroom and Pearl Barley Stew and Black Pudding cake with a poached egg with side orders of twice cooked hand cut chips and Roast Beetroot and Spinach which was to die for. Each dish was perfectly cooked and seasoned to perfection. Again 10 out of 10. We had coffees, two bottles of wine and a couple of beers all for around £130 for the fours of us. The restaurant is informally laid out and decorated which promotes a very enjoyable and relaxing atmosphere for eating. We took over 3 hours over our meal and enjoyed every minute. The staff were very friendly and knowledgable about each of the dishes and were very eager to engage us in conversation and tell us all about the dishes again 10 out of 10. The food and the eating experience is simply excellent. I doubt if you told people it was a vegetarian restaurant they'd even know. If your in the area try something truly different and give it a go its much, much more than Lentils and love beads!

1 Thank Crazyhorse3
“AMAZING!!!!”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Decided to go some where a bit different and so glad I chose Greens! My friend and I are both meat eaters but we thought we would try a vegetarian meal for a change. WOW is all I can say! Absolutely amazing food! Who needs meat? Fab atmosphere, gorgeous non alcoholic cocktails and if you have enough room for pudding then u must try the vanilla and ginger cheese cake! This is my new favourite restaurant! Can't wait to go back and try more dishes...........