“Judge and Jury”

Ranked #34 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Essex
“Judge and Jury”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Perfectly acceptable and reasonably priced moderrn hotel in central Manchester, with ample parking across the road and 200 metre walk to a cluster of restaurants and hotels in Deansgate.
Room was fine and quiet, a bit disconcerting to have an invalid bathroom which was as large as the sleeping area and festooned with disability aids but no problem. Decent cooked breakfast included in the room charge. I would definitely stay again on business or pleasure. Great pub next door - "The Britons Protection".

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
wales
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions as its has always been my preferred chioce when going to a concert at the MEN, however on this occasion I was not overly impresssed.
I requested a lower floor as I am not partial to using lifts, on arrival we were offered the first floor which sounded great. The room itself was clean however we soon noticed that there were little issues. There was no bin in the room, so the tiny bin in the bathroom had to be used for all rubbish and was overflowing at the end of our stay and we had to leave a little pile on the floor as there was nowhere else to leave it. The room was overlooking the Bridgewater Hall however there was no net curtain and as it was a lower floor room we had to keep the curtains closed! The room was very very dark and all the lighting seemed to be very low, not good when you are trying to get ready!
The heating was extremley noisy , so much so that we had to turn it off and be cold instead.
I dont think that the room has adequate sound proofing as we had an awful night as we could hear every person chatting walking by and lots of traffic noise throughout the night. If we had known that this was going to be an issue when we checked in, I would have suffered the lift and opted for a higher room, not on the front of the hotel.
On checking out we were not even asked about our stay, just for our key cards whereas whilst we were waiting various other guests had been asked about their stay, whether they had a parking ticket for the car parks etc, which I am assuming must lead to a discount? However we were not asked.
I have another booking for later this year and will consider my options after this weekend.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room on lower floor at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
uk
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here with my two teenage daughters, had 1 double bed & a single. Room was spotlessly clean.
Easy to get to from manchester Piccadilly station, go downstairs to the metro to deansgate, takes approx 15mins, you can actually see Jurys inn whilst on the metro.
Staff helpful.
Didn't go to the bar or eat at the hotel so cant comment on either.
If you're a light sleeper you may need earplugs, Aircon/heating noisy, so turned off completely, & still noisey.
Lovely to be able to have a bath, & amazing powerful shower.
Overall would stay again & would recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ardfert
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Hotel was ok ,but .My Son and myself stayed there on the night of the 16-17th of march and i must be honest and say that the hotel itself was fine and the staff were very nice people.We had a twin bed and a single made up one which was placed next to the window.our room was on the first floor which meant that we were kept awake by street noise until about 2 30am we only got about 3 hours sleep.we could not get breakfast as the kitchen did,nt open until 7am and we had to leave at 6 45am.there was no facility for a continental breakfast which meant that due to our travel arrangements my son ,aged 10 did not eat proper food until 11 45 am.I can not say that my experience would be typical,but on this occasion we may have been just unlucky

Room Tip: stay as near to the top floor as possible
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank johnArdfert
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Rooms were basic but clean. Bar staff friendly. Whoever designed the bar and restaurant lacked vision and style - layout made it difficult for the staff to get drinks from bar. There are billowing curtains that separated the breakfast area from the main restaurant. which the staff kept disappearing behind to get the the kitchens. At one point I expected the wizard of Oz to make an appearance.
Tried to charge me £400 for one nights stay as opposed to the £72.00 corporate rates. It was sorted, but not before they explained that it was due to Manchester being busy.
Interesting guests stay here before going off to appear on a certain daytime TV show.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Wigan
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is the second time of staying here and unfortunately the room we were allocated (620) looks onto concrete blocks along with empty beer cans outside.The room was small and the fan in the bathroom needed cleaning.However,the room was spotless and warm.The pillows were hard even though it did say that there were soft ones in the hanging space.These were also hard.The bed was very comfortable, and as it was for one night only it was ok but if we had been staying longer I would have asked to change rooms as £86 without breakfast is expensive for that room ( I had booked a flash sale with 25% off).The staff were very friendly both at check-in and check-out and we would still stay there again but in a different room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Malchris
JurysGM, Manager at Jurys Inn Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was sorry to learn you left the hotel less than satisfied with your experience. As a city centre based hotel we do have many different types of rooms and the views can differ from which side of the building you are allocated. On you next trip to manchester please feel free to contact me direct and I will be more than happy to assist you with your reservation.

The pillows we offer in the room are foam, however upon request we offrer an alternative of feather pillows and a member of our team is always on hand and happy to provide these prior to arrival.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the ou hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Jennifer Woolley
Assistant Manager
Jurys Inn Manchester

Tel: 01619538888
Email: Jennifer_Woolley@Jurysinns.com
Edinburgh
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I chose this hotel as it was at a convenient location for Bridgewater Hall, a concert venue. We stayed on a Friday night in December 2012 and I have to say it was a nightmare experience, never to be repeated.

At 3:45am, I was woken as I am a light sleeper and walked into a stranger in our room. Yes, someone had gained access into our room without our consent. It was only when I screamed to 'Get out', my husband woke up and this stranger fled taking the key card that operated the room's power with him.

When I contacted the reception, in considerable distress and said that someone had been in our room, I was told 'It is not a problem.' I demanded that someone come along to our room and the police to be informed, and was told that it was too trivial an issue to worry the police with as nothing had been stolen! My husband and I were then met with a security guard who attended the room only to say 'Yeah, we get problems with drunks entering other people's rooms all the time'; and being accused of having left the door unlocked (it was a secure door that swung shut closed) for someone to gain access. We were shocked.

The whole episode is one that I will never forget as it was handled extremely badly by the night duty manager who treated us, as if we were the ones in the wrong. We even had to request to be moved rooms as this was not forthcoming (the stranger had gone away with one of our key cards as if you would be able to sleep at all knowing that it could happen again!). Plus we were frogmarched to the lifts to go to our new room, by both the night duty manager and the security guard who were both trying to get their stories straight to put them in the best light for the morning handover. The customer experience of hospitality was the last thing on their minds, and not once was I asked if I was 'OK' having been woken in the middle of the night by a stranger entering the room.

It was only in the morning that we were treated with a bit more respect as paying guests. The deputy manager offered us a complimentary night's stay (not taken as there was no way we would ever stay here again) and a full refund. We were told that the night security guard would not be returning and that there would be a full investigation into the nightshift duty manager. I have told all my friends and family about this experience and they are all travellers' themselves and are now more than ever encouraged to watch out for key card systems and security in Jurys Inn hotels. Shudder to think what could have happened if I hadn't woken up when I did.

I'm only writing this review now as I hope that the hotel has smartened up its act and reviewed it's key card systems closely and brushed up on the customer safety and security for guests at night. No-one should have to experience this ever again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scarletladyEdinburgh
JurysGM, Manager at Jurys Inn Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor,

Thank you writing your recent review.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience that you encountered at the Jurys Inn Manchester. It is our intention at all times to ensure that our guests are made to feel welcome and to feel comfortable whilst staying with us, therefore I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel.

Security and comfort of our guests is paramount within our Hotel and is taken very seriously. After speaking with you the following morning I immediately initiated an investigation and following this we have now reviewed and significantly changed our procedures to ensure this does not occur again in the future and as discussed on the morning I have taken the appropriate action, following this I am hugely confident that this was an isolated incident.

I would like to again offer my sincere apologies for your experience with us at Jurys Inn Manchester and I can assure you that this is not the norm for us here. Please, if you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly on 0161 953 8888.

With Kind Regards