“Average But Convenient” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
West Yorkshire
“Average But Convenient”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in February. We had requested a quiet room, but the one we were given overlooked the main road and despite being on the 5th floor we could hear a lot of noise (more people noise than traffic) on the Saturday night. As others have said, it takes a long time for the aircon/heating unit to reach a reasonable temperature if you need to heat the room, but once it did it was fine, if noisy. Our room was a Superior Double, though because it was on the corner of the building this meant most of the extra space was taken up by a large 'L' shaped 'hallway' area. Mattress was a little too hard for me, and not very comfortable, but the bed was a good size. Windows seemed draughty, though again this could be due to being high up and on the corner. Shower was very good, with curved shower rail giving a feeling of space.

We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday night - food was fine, nothing spectacular. We were disappointed when trying to order something to be delivered to our room from the night menu on the Sunday, to be initially told 'you just missed a round and it'll take 25 minutes' then after taking the time to place the order being told 'hold on (long pause) sorry, there's no food as there's an issue in the kitchen'. Breakfast choice was very good, hot and cold buffet food, completely self-service. Staff were courteous and polite.

There were a couple of hen parties in the hotel on the weekend we stayed, and it seems to be popular with groups and business people. Overall an average hotel - if you're just staying for one night and can get a good price then it's fine, but I'm not sure I would choose to stay again at the price we paid this time around. It is very convenient for Bridgewater Hall and shopping, though!

Room Tip: If you can get a superior double at a special offer price, it's worth it for the extra space. As...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I booked the hotel for two nights on a business trip. Firstly, on booking I had expressed a preference for an upper room but ended up with one on the ground floor with no explanation given from reception.

Neither did it fit the bill of a superior room with sofa, although I accept that superior may be measured against other rooms in the hotel which I have not seen - so could be true, but I would hate to see the other rooms.

There was in any case definitely no sofa, and the chair that was there looked like it had been salvaged from a skip outside Spearmint Rhino. You would not want to sit on it.

While there was an area to work - there was insufficient light to do so. There is one light above the mirror near the door, and aside for this two microlights on either side of the bed. I had to turn these upward to try and brighten the room. Unbelievable there is no desk light for the business traveller, and no central light at all in the room.

Also, the overall cleanliness and presention of the room was very poor. The towels in the bathroom, for example, were rumbled which gives an uneasy feeling someone else may have already used them.

Well, I am a business traveller - and if I am away and catching up on some work late into the night it is always good to be able to order room service - Jurys Inn puts a unique slant on it, quoting from their service directory "Simply contact the restaurant on 290 or 270 and place your order. We will call you back when your food is ready to collect." I read this several times - are you serious, I have to collect my own room service?

The worst part about this trip given I had prepaid some £250 for two nights was the cancellation policy - that was it, you don't get it back.

My worst experience of a hotel - ever!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
JurysGM, Manager at Jurys Inn Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear MarkO,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.

I would like to apologise for the disappointment we have caused you during your recent visit to Jurys Inn Manchester.

At Jurys Inn we aim to exceed guest’s expectations and honour any requests made by personal preference. Unfortunately on this occasion it is clear we have fallen short and have been unable to allocate your room on a higher floor as requested. From now on our management team and I will be monitoring all guest requests to ensure we meet them to the best of our ability.

I was sorry to hear you felt the room had insufficient light, however as a business traveller I appreciate your feedback with this matter as we can now look at making changes where necessary.

Here at Jurys Inn Manchester we do not offer room service. However we try our very best to accommodate our guests by offering a 'Tray Service', in which our restaurant team are more than happy to prepare for any guests who wish to dine in their rooms rather than the bar or restaurant.

I hope we can restore your faith in Jurys and if you would like to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Email: Jennifer_woolley@Jurysinns.com
Tel: 0161 9538888
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

On arriving at the hotel the receptionist set the tone as he appeared to be dispirited and struggled to raise a smile, not the welcome you would expect when checking in to a hotel. On the plus side once we had reached our room it modern, clean & tidy although the view of the loading bay from the window was a little disappointing. Whilst waiting for my wife to get ready I decided to go for a quick drink in the bar which although clean was cold and lacked atmosphere, if anything it was a little intimidating with a large group of lads lounging around, in turn once my wife was ready we decided not to stay in the bar and went elsewhere, passing a large group of woman on a hen do on the way out. This was a further sign of things to come when we where awoken at 4am in the morning with men shouting and woman screaming. Overall the hotel was clean & modern buts that's all it had to offer 3 out 10

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JurysGM, Manager at Jurys Inn Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Gary_leahy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I was dissapointed to hear of your experience during your stay here in Manchester, if you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me direct. I look forward to hearing from you.

Email: Jennifer_woolley@jurysinns.com
Tel: 01619538888
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel is certainly the best of the 3 Jurys Inn's I have stayed in (I have also stayed in Christchurch Dublin, and Limerick).
My room was modern, comfortable and spacious with good facilities and comfortable furnishings, especially the bed. The bathroom is also good for this standard of hotel being spacious, clean, and with a powerful shower unit & good guality Gilchrist & Soames toiletries.
I requested a quiet room when I made my booking and I got this so despite a few hen/stag party type groups being in the hotel I was not disturbed by these.
I had breakfast which, if it is not included in your rate, can be pre-booked the night before at reception for £7.50 per person, and this is decent value for money for a buffet style breakfast where you can help yourself. Having said that, the quality of some of the breakfast food items and the coffee is certainly a reflection of the value price.
Location wise the hotel is OK. Not terribly central but within 10-15 minutes walking distance of your choice of nightlife, depending on what that is and a similar walking distance from the man shopping areas

Room Tip: Request a quiet room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed here for 2 days in January 2013 for business. Check-in was awaful. I was there at around 5pm and 1 couple being checked in, 2 waiting then me. Only 1 person on the desk serving and 1 person at the desk playing with his computer for a long time before even thinking about checking anyone in. It took around 15-20 minutes for me to wait. When I finally arrived at my room it was absolutely freezing. (it was a cold day). Despite putting the heat on after an hour it was still ridiculously cold - fortunately I was out that evening.
I tried to catch up on the news but the TV signal is so bad it drops after a couple of minutes - so if you want to sit in your cold room and watch TV you'll have a problem! The staff response when I questioned this was rubbish, effectively "tough".
Day 2 I woke up and the room was warm - so it's c24 hours to get where it needs to be.
Finally there is no in room safe which seems like a basic requirement nowadays - a safe was available downstairs by reception though, which isn't very convenient and is on public view for anyone in the foyer area - or indeed outside looking in!
Location was OK 'ish for the city and arriving back post midnight wasn't scary so all fine.
Would I stay here again - definitely not. Despite a relatively low price what it delivers isn't even worth that and there are lots of other options in Manchester either cheaper or worth paying a little bit extra for.

Room Tip: Pick one in a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DavidLF
Dear DavidLF,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was extremely disappointed to learn of your experience on your recent stay to Manchester. Here at Jurys Inn customer satisfaction is our number one priority and I am sorry to hear you left our hotel less than satisfied.

On this occasion it is clear we have fallen short and I hope we can restore your faith in Jurys, if you would like to contact me direct I am keen to discuss your stay further.

Email: Jennifer_woolley@jurysinns.com
Tel: 0161 9538888
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

My partner and I booked this hotel as a cheap night in the City and the room was quite large for the price we paid (£35) - Although the layout left a lot to be desired, the bed is facing one way and the TV space is facing away from the bed, so you physically have to move the TV if you want to watch it in bed, seems a little silly for me. I'd probably stay here again if I was quoted the same price, the location is great, right next to Manchester Central (GMEX) and Oxford RD is just round the corner. You can get on the tram at Deansgate Castlefield to a whole range of places on the Metrolink system within the City and the staff were incredibly friendly, if not a little rushed off their feet (Friday night, and I believe a group of 30 had just turned up to be checked in).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

We made our booking at the hotel for two nights on two consecutive weeks to enable us to have eye surgery, which the hotel was made aware of. They made our reservations which we paid for immediately. Two weeks later our surgery was cancelled so we had to amend our booking, we were told we would have to cancel our original booking and loose £189. I made them aware that they had done the booking on our behalf, where by they retracted their statement and amended our booking without cost to us, very strange!!!
Our room was very nice and clean, bathroom was immaculate. The only complaint was no matter how high you put the temperature it never got the room to a nice temperature, in fact we did notice that the restaurant and the bar was also very cold and uninviting
We had to use the facilities of the hotel because of our surgery, so we dined in the bar were we had to wear our coats, the sandwiches and panini were nice but we did have fish and chips which was awful. We asked for a lime and lemonade with ice, and was told they had no ice and no lime!!!!! The bar man should attend charm school as he has no customer service skills at all.
The breakfast was quite well stocked but is a sole less place, no music playing and no warmth.
We also think that the hotel should offer room service which would of been of great help to us both and a fridge in the room.
The reception staff were very helpful just needs to have that kind of attitude instilled in some of the other staff.

• Stayed January 2013