“Did the job but glad I was only there for one night” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ashton House Hostel

Ashton House Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Did the job but glad I was only there for one night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

I stayed in Ashton House Hostel in July 2011 when a group of 6 of us traveled up to Manchester for a friend's wedding.

On arrival the first impression is that it isn't really in the best of areas but I'm not sure that this is the case. Prior to visiting I lived for this trip I lived in Manchester for a number of years and never heard anything bad about the area that the hostel is in. It's just like any city - you need to take care of your belongings etc. The hostel is only just of the main road but it is just inside a quiet street that you might feel uncomfortable walking down at night. This didn't bother us though as we got taxis to and from the front door of the hostel when we went out.

When we booked in the staff were really friendly and helpful. Nothing to complain about there. They checked us in on the computer and showed us to our room.

The room was very basic. It was in the middle of the hostel so had no windows to the outside. There was a window that went around the top of the room that let light in from the hallways. This was bad for people who were sleeping on the top bunks as the light from the fire exit signs and other rooms etc was coming in.

Aside from needing a lick of paint the room and the bedding seemed clean.

The hostel is a bit of a maze and we all found that when we went to the bathrooms we ended up going round in circles a bit trying to get back to our room.

The bathrooms and toilets are separate. Toilets could have done with a fresh coat of paint again but they were clean which is the main thing.

The bathrooms are large and they have these high-tech massage showers in them that give you a massage as you shower and play music. The downside with these is that there is a glass panel covering the shower and they are in the middle of the room so other people in the bathroom can see you showering. If you feel comfortable with this then it should be fine. I know that the girls had a bit of team work going and were keeping a look out for people coming in the bathroom whilst the others used the showers facing the wall for a bit of privacy. The guys had no problem because no one came in the bathroom whilst we were using the showers.

Overall it is a cheap hostel that did the job. It was fine for one night but I was glad that it was only for one night. If I was going to stay in a hostel in Manchester again I would try and find a better one.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank owentonks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stay there a short time and we couldn't eat the breakfast (that it's saying that's very good) because our flight leaves at 8. The owners were very friendly at our arrival, and we had some chat about what to do in that few days. The internet is free with a password that is provided by the hostel, but sometimes it didn't work.
But we were very disappointed with the rooms. We booked a twin room with a shared bathroom, but they gave us a room of 20-25 people. The only difference with this big room was a "private curtain". At the same time, the area isn't very safety, because is situated in a very small and without light street. And when we leave the hostel at 6am the owner (a different one) was chatting with some drunk friends, so we felt a bit uncomfortable.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank albapnt
staffs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

Having read the reviews of Ashton house I was a bit worried of what I would find, there was four of us staying there in a room for six being four blokes we were'nt exactly going to be fussy as we were only there for drinking and watching the cricket. We were a bit early for check-in on arrival but we were able to put our luggage in a holding room (for free) which was ideal so we didn't have to carry it around Manchester. When we did go to check -in we were quickly sorted out with our room which was made up of bunk beds only no storage, which suited us.The toilets are just up the corridor along with the showers.Breakfast is in a sort of common room where you just help yourself to toast, cereal, coffee, tea ,etc.
The hotel is ideally situated for the M.E.N arena and Victoria station which is about 3 mins walk. Also it is close to the printworks(pubs) and rest of centre.
Would have no problem staying again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank andem1
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

BAD:
- dirty toilets with lots of stains and showers that were rarely cleaned, towels etc left over by previous guests not cleaned up for days
- rooms not cleaned up well, dirty floors which for a new hostel is strange
- no window in the hostel can be opened, so very bad uncirculated air in entire premise
- unless your purpose is to see show at MEN arena then hostel location isn't great.. wrong end of downtown in rundown area
- opened too early with ongoing construction resulting in noise
- dirty kitchen area floor never vacuumed and trash bin always full, no stove so can't cook your own food which contributes to increased costs during stay
- very thin walls between rooms
- no travel information and bulletin boards which is odd for a hostel

GOOD:
- excellent breakfast way above what you'd expect for a hostel
- hotel-quality mattresses and duvets for a hostel
- owner willing to listen and address your concerns, however this wouldn't be necessary if the negatives didn't exist in the first place

To the owner: if you could employ more cleaning staff and raise the standard of cleanliness in toilets/showers/rooms/kitchen and make windows open-able then the hostel has the potential to become a lot better, since some of the good points I listed are actually very good for a hostel.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank travelguru667
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

Very dissappointed, the place was grubby. They didn't have my booking details when I arrived. The toilets on the lower floor were out of order and only one shower was working.

Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank tonyh_11
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

This hostel claims to be a boutique hostel in the centre of Manchester. The only thing I saw to make it 'boutique' were a few quirky chairs loitering about, which weren't even comfortable to sit on. The hostel boasts some fancy showers but these didn't fully work. WiFi is NOT connectable throughout the hostel and was definately not available in our room.
When we arrived we were told we were double booked and other arrangements had to be made. We had booked and paid for the 9 man 'Elizabethan Suite' but on arrival we were told it had been promised to someone else who wasn't present and hadn't yet paid. We had paid and were in the lobby. The hotel manager was called upon to sort out the mis-understanding and after much discussion and 2 hours of roaming the streets waiting for a decision he put 7 of us in a 6 man room. This consisted of 3 bunk beds and a mattress on the floor preventing the one and only door being opened fully. There was litter in the corners of the room and on the window sill from previous guests. The room was in the basement of the hostel and the one window was a thick translucent glass tile type as it was at foot level to the street outside. The window wouldn't close properly and let in cold air, smells (cigarette smoke mainly) and noise from the busy street. On a more critical note, in our room there was no smoke alarm and where it should've been was an exposed electrical connection.
The single sex shared abolutions were dirty with grease and hair all over the floor and the state of the art power showers didn't work any better than a standard shower. The toilets got blocked on our stay and required you to paddle through god knows what to get to the cubicles.
There is CCTV throughout but in my opinion this just records crime and doesn't necessarily prevent it.
Breakfast consists of cereal, bread and jam with milk or orange juice. It is self service but not everybody washes their crockery and utensils and there aren't enough to go round. I only saw one flat screen tv and that was in the breakfast area/lounge. Whilst having my breakfast I notice a couple of insect bites on me. I don't know what they were from but it was February and midges/mosquitos are dormant in this country at that time of year. I hope for flea bites because bed bugs travel with you!
We over heard the hostel manager telling a party of people almost exactly the same story he had told us which roused suspicion whether it was the truth or not. This discussion was quite vocal and was held in the main lobby for all to hear.
The location is okay as it's very near Victoria Station but in an area you wouldn't feel safe at night.
The manager came across as unproffesional and new to the business. He could be quite rude and confrontational, not good when you're in a strange city with nowhere to stay.
It must be remembered that this is a hostel NOT a hotel and would require hostel clientelle to run a bit smoother. I have stopped in many hostels in this country and all over Europe and this is in no way special. In my opinion if this hostel is to publicise itself as a hotel at hostel prices then it will need extra staff to clean the place up after every guest.
Although I didn't book the accomodation on a group booking I was one of the party and can produce evidence to prove so.
I have permission to use the photos I've supplied of our trip.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends