Red Chilli Chinese Restaurant Oxford Road
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I've just come home from having lunch at The Red Chilli and I have been very disappointed.
We sat down to a table of tattered menus, which we quickly scanned and chose our dishes. 30 minutes later a waitress finally found time to take our order. Three of us had the £9 3 course menu and one had the £5.50 menu as she was planning to share our starters with us.
Halfway through eating our starters we received the £5.50 main dish. Assuming the rest would follow promptly my friend began to eat her main course as the rest of us ate our starters.What had actually happened was the £5.50 main had come with the starters, so the restaurant expected my friend to sit there while the rest of us ate and she finished... weird.
When the other mains eventually arrived we asked for the £5.50 main to be reheated, a request that was taken with a rather shocked expression - had we not asked for the mains to all come together? Err, no actually, in most places the mains come together, we didn't know it had to be a special request.
The food was on cold plates, staff do not have the best grasp of English and the whole place needed a good clean. Don't go here, go to Chinatown or somewhere on Oxford Road. Service is pathetic and the food is just ok, nothing to write home about. £12 for a drink and lunch here is robbery.

1  Thank Georgia O
There are newer reviews for Red Chilli Chinese Restaurant Oxford Road

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Beef Brisket noodle is our benchmark for this restaurant. Priced at £8.95 for a bowl plus £2.00 for your drink is a bit pricey for lunch... However, it's so nice for me. I would recommend this Beef Brisket. Not sure about the other menu. Will try again next year.

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

An absalute joke.

We walked in there and asked for a window seat so I could keep an eye on my car that I had parked illegally - she wouldn't let us sit on a 4 person table because it was 'too big' for us ---- it was a Monday evening at 6pm it wasn't very busy.

Instead she put us right in the corner. The floor was a disgrace - looked liked it hadn't been cleaned all day. Bits everywhere And the baby sitting on the table next to us had thrown her noodles all over the floor and they hasn't been cleared up !!!!

Anyway the menus had seen better days - all tattered and dirty. And we waited 20 mins and nobody had come over to take our drinks orders.

Just wasn't comfortable with the place so won't be returning. Bad service.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

The food was not very good and certainly not an authentic Chinese style, just an expensive English wannabe....
The price was not cheap and had an added 10% surcharge for December.
Maybe if you are a student you would find this place convenient as its right next to the university where I was working that day, other than that its out of the way and I dont recommend a trip out especially for it!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Went to red chilli for lunch but told no business lunch in dec. struggled to find anything on menu that was similar to their usual menu so ended up with hot and sour soup and chicken draquin which we shared. Worked out twice the price as usual and lots less choice. Very disappointed