“Chinese food convert?”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We went to the Red Chilli to celebrate finishing a course. There was a group of 8 of us who went for lunch. Most of us chose the lunchtime deal, 3 courses for £9. What a bargain. The deal allows you to choose 1 soup option, 1 dim sum option, and then 1 main with rice. I am not a fan of chinese food normally, but having been here i've decided that I just haven't been to the right restaurant before. I had the vegetarian hot and sour soup- it was delicious. Full of flavour with a kick. Then I chose the vegetable spring rolls which were good. My main course was the beancurd in hot and sweet sauce with egg fried rice. I don't normally choose beancurd as it can be extremely bland. This was exceptional. The tofu had been fried off before being added to the sauce so the texture and flavour was so different. The sauce was flavoursome with the right amount of chilli for me (quite hot).

The restaurant was very busy, especially for a mid-week lunchtime, which I take as a good sign. Also there were many chinese customers, again a good sign. The service was ok, the waitress seemed unsure of taking the order, maybe due to the larger group. I wasn't confident that what we ordered would arrive, but to be fair to her it did.

One bad point- the toilets. The toilets had a very strong smell similar to that of damp. It was very disappointing. Also, the cleaning of the toilet facilities could be better!

Reviewed April 11, 2012

As the title suggests, the service at Red Chilli is great. You have some 15 staff members constantly walking around, communicating via signal lights (have a look at the ceiling!), and serving people within minutes. The restaurant is perfectly located for students, has a great atmosphere and a very lovely interior design (I love those two red kissing statures when you enter the restaurants). It proves quite difficult sometimes to communicate in English to the staff, but in the end it always works out somehow ;-). The food at Red Chilli is great and very tasty, prices are o.k. It's absolutely worth a visit, I can only recommend it!

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Situated next to Manchester Royal Infirmary in the basement-has recently been refurbished and the layout in the restaurant has improved. Excellent food for the money. Frequented by students and professionals in equal numbers. Well worth the experience.
Portions are sizeable and the three course meal is good. I will not opt for the hot and sour soup however as this time it was not as good as it was before. The meat dishes were excellent and the waiting staff will definitely tell you the spice levels and direct you to the right dish.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

My husband and I were on a course in Manchester last week. We both enjoy chinese food, but with 2 small toddlers, don't have much opportunity to get out in the evening. Having checked the web, we decided to try the Red Chilli, Oxford Road. What a mistake!

As it was a Monday pm, it wasn't particularly busy. The menu is extensive with a good variety. We ordered the Peking duck and chicken satay as starters. We did request that the duck be brought out sliced, as I am somewhat squeamish and did not wish to see a whole birt, beak, eyes etc as depicted on the menu. The waiter nodded as if he understood. Needless to say, with great panache the chef appeared with the whole bird, partially cremated beak, eyes etc and carved it in front of us with great panache.

In fairness, the starters were good. The mains not so. My husband ordered sizzling beef in black bean sauce - the beef was tough as old boots. I ordered two chicken dishes - neither of which had cooked chicken in it. Indeed whatever the poultry that had been fried (I'm unsure whether it really was chicken), it hadnt been fried long enough.

In disgust, we left the dishes untouched. I felt totally nauseated and struggled not to vomit up the starter. When the waitress eventually did come over, we explained the problem - she didn't appear to understand. We requested the bill, and after doing so on 3 occasions we made our way to the desk, where 2 chinese men who worked there were conducting a long conversation in their native language. They ignored us totally for 10mins. As I expected our taxi to arrive imminently, I at last, spoke over them asking to see the manager. I was told curtly 'he's on holiday' - perhaps this explains our problem! I then said I wanted the bill. More native language chit chat... We waited.... Eventually we were presented with the full bill. I said we were not prepared to pay for inedible food. More native chit chat. The waitress was beckoned over and spoke to in the native language. They shouted at each other incomprehensibly. Eventually we were given a bill for our drinks and starters. No apology. What rudeness. Never again...

At the mention of chinese food, I feel the need for anti-emetic medication.

Reviewed December 1, 2011

Visited the Portland Street restaurant with some friends one Tuesday evening. Didn't book and it wasn't busy.
Our friend wre already there and had ordered some starters which were ok, we waited and waited and eventually called over the waitress to get menus and order some drinks.
We ordered our main meals which arrived relatively quickly and was a decent portion and absolutely delicious....
The only problem was the service :( waiting for menus and drinks but also when the food arrived the waitress accidently tipped some rice into my lap....then when clearing the plates dropped noodles over me and my friend too.....:(