“Afternoon tea - nice but not special”
Review of The V&A Restaurant

The V&A Restaurant
Ranked #1,081 of 2,254 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Rochdale, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea - nice but not special”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

My wife & I had the afternoon tea bought for us as a Xmas present; it has taken until now for us to visit. It is necessary to book in advance, although I am not sure why other than the scones being baked to order. There is a choice between traditional and gentleman's with the latter consisting of savoury pastries and mini fish and chips - the price is the same (£16.95).

For the traditional we received 3 different tiny sandwiches, a scone with jam and cream, 2 small cakes and a liqueur glass of creme caramel. Written this appears quite a lot but it didn't take a lot of eating. Drinks were either a pot of hot water accompanied by sachets of assorted teas or a mug of coffee (refilled as required). A 330 ml bottle of Heineken was an additional £4.

Everything was nice but I had expected to enjoy it more than I did. The highlight was definitely the scone which was still warm from the oven and tasted delightful.

• Visited July 2014

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Quiet with a lovely view”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Started off with a pricey (£7.50) but lovely cocktail outside on the patio tables by the river in the sunshine, next to the fountain. Then went inside to sit with a view of the river. Lovely and quiet, although it was a Monday night. Quite a reasonably priced menu really, as they offered a two/three course deal. I had beetroot risotto to start, which was very tasty and huuuge - I almost didnt want my main course! Seafood pasta for main was quite nice. Friendly waiters, nice atmosphere, little bit of Coronation Street theming but not in you face at all!

• Visited April 2014
Cheshire
“V & A Lounge Bar _ Marriott Hotel”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Ate at the V & A Lounge Bar after visit to the Opera House.
I am not sure if this is supposed to be for the main hotel restaurant but I am reviewing the hotels more casual dining experience.

I had cod and chips and although it was well presented and the chips were nice the fish wasnt that great. I felt the service was a bit slow and their was no atmosphere as it was virtually empty. The staff were friendly and the place was lovely and clean and well looked after as you would expect from a Marriott. It was reasonably priced for a hotel and there was a good value 2 and 3 course option although I did not fancy any of the choices on that menu unfortunately. If you are staying at the Marriott then Its an easy and convenient choice but I probably would not return just for a meal as there are so many other options in Manchester.

• Visited January 2013
“Afternoon tea disappointment .”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Called In impromptu before going to watch 'Chicago' at the Palace Theatre for Afternoon tea. Unfortunately you have to know six weeks in advance that you would like to do this and book. It wasn't the weekend and the sign outside the hotel advertising Afternoon tea was what originally caught our attention.

I am genuinely surprised that in this day and age, a hotel of your standard cannot accommodate this request. That said, we had an enjoyable afternoon.

Lisa Howard Cheshire

Manchester, United Kingdom
“dining in style”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

every thing was very good The food was lovely dessert was a dream Good wine and not too expensive Will return